Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Bob Cole Give it Up! Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me, or is Bob Cole hanging on way too long. He used to be great, but now he is terrible. I am a Canucks fan so I don't want to sound biased, but he butchered the Canucks/Leafs game on Saturday night. Based on the number of Leafs games he calls, I am sure he has that team down pat, but what about the other Canadian Teams? Any Fans of the Oilers, Flames, Sens, Habs, agree? Give examples?

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  11:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Canucks, here are some examples of his blunder calls:

- Both he and Harry Neale referred to Markus Naslund as 'Mats Naslund'

- Ryan Kesler - 'Klesla'

-Kevin Bieksa - 'Bieska' (They also misspelled his name 'Bieska' on screen. TSN did the same thing last week)

-After the Canucks scored their 5th or 6th goal he says: 'Well they are starting to look not bad'

-And my favorite, the Canucks are on a 5 on 3 and this is Colesy: 'All this passing around the perimiter, they are killing their own penalty ... Sedin ... Linden.. Scores!... It was only a matter of time'
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  12:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is hilarious pucker!!! ya I loved Coles growing up but it may have been time to hang up the microphone about 7 years ago Bobby.

I also used to like the Canucks play by play guy Jim Hughson (sp?) too, but I have to say he bores me now. He does the CBC late game too and it's the same s*** over and over with him. And to make it worse, he is easily drawn into Greg Millen's idiotic banter. I swear Millen makes things up. He'll be watching the same images we are and even if the image contradicts what he just said he'll say "see, see that right there. that's what I'm talking about." Meanwhile a couple million Canadians are staring at their screen saying "what the hell is he talking about?!?!" I almost mute them.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9948
( )

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  14:32:59  Reply with Quote
I hear you guys! I was watching a Leafs vs. Carolina game and after Carolina scored a goal they went upstairs to check if it was high sticked. Bob Cole on the other hand said it was kicked in because when Carolina shot it from the top of the circle the player who shot it's foot kciked back when he shot not even close to the puck and it was obvious he hit the puck with his stick. Bob then went on saying "take a look at this angle" and complained when they called it a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9948
( )

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  14:35:46  Reply with Quote
Also during the Carolina vs. Leafs game there was a penalty to Carolina and the player was already in the box. About 20 seconds later just before the comercial break you hear Bob say " i think, i think its to Carolina".
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  15:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree...I loved bob in the good old days, but it really pisses me off that he still does the cup finals...It's so boring listening to him and Harry...Jim Hughson is pretty good, and I like greg millen (he's not as critical as most)...But the day CBC lost Chris Cuthbert, I lost a little interest in CBC.....That guy was doing a St. Louis vs. LA game Saturday on NBC, and he made THAT exciting (granted it was a pretty good game, he made me forget I was watching the 2 worst teams)....I think TSN should fire Gord miller and let Cuthbert do the lions share of the games (instead of now when Cuthbert does about 2 games on tsn a month).

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  18:54:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, I can't believe I am saying this, but I totally agree with IHC. Is it a full moon tonight or something?? Serious, my words exactly. I also like Hrudey.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  20:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Chris Cuthbert, he makes the games so exciting. Bob Cole makes so many mistakes, and they are so obvious. He must have a long term contract...

After all tomorrow is another day...
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2007 :  21:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you see Cole on HNIC on Sat. Night? He mangled Bieksa's name a couple of times. First it was BEEK-sa, then BECK-sa, and I think it was BEAR-ksa. Shortly after that they were interviewing Bieksa's parents, and when it ended, Cole said, "Thank you Mr. and Mrs..... (pause) Mom and Dad."
Smooth Bob.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

I totally agree...I loved bob in the good old days, but it really pisses me off that he still does the cup finals...It's so boring listening to him and Harry...Jim Hughson is pretty good, and I like greg millen (he's not as critical as most)...But the day CBC lost Chris Cuthbert, I lost a little interest in CBC.....That guy was doing a St. Louis vs. LA game Saturday on NBC, and he made THAT exciting (granted it was a pretty good game, he made me forget I was watching the 2 worst teams)....I think TSN should fire Gord miller and let Cuthbert do the lions share of the games (instead of now when Cuthbert does about 2 games on tsn a month).

I HATE CROSBY

I don't know if it's just me, but when I hear Jim Hughson I think Im listning to a videogame.

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

Did you see Cole on HNIC on Sat. Night? He mangled Bieksa's name a couple of times. First it was BEEK-sa, then BECK-sa, and I think it was BEAR-ksa.

Announcers mangle names all the time..I saw this old NHL highlights video and the announcers were always pronouncing Jagr's last name "YAY-ger" instead of "YAH-ger". Oh well...at least it wasn't "Jagger"! LOL

Other mangled names: Jaroslav becomes "YAIR-oslav" instead of "YAR-oslav", Datsyuk becomes "Dat-zook" instead of "Dat-syook", Tyutin becomes "Too-tin" instead of "Tyoo-tin", the ä in Selänne is supposed to be pronounced like the A in "cat", not like a long A as in "father", and Kolzig is technically "Kol-tsig" not "Kol-zig" in correct German, but I'll let that one slide...

And then there's the big one. Joe Sakic's last name is NOT pronounced "Sak-ik"...his parents are from Croatia; a C ispronounced "ts" so technically it would be "Sak-its".

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/31/2007 17:45:10
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the funniest "mispronounciation" was by bill Clinton on Steve Yzerman....He called him Steve "Is-zear-man" (he didn't pronounce It like "eye"-zerman.....he said Iz...like how you'd say "busy")

I HATE CROSBY

Edited by - I HATE CROSBY on 01/27/2007 18:29:10
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clinton was an a$$hole, lol.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/27/2007 18:29:59
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  18:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HATE BOB COLE he mangles half the players not on the leafs "Mats Naslund" didnt he play in the 80's. The one i thought was the worst was Alex bOrrows instead of bUrrows

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2007 :  17:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate it when announcers say "AfinoGANov" instead of AfinoGENov. You don't even have to be a language nut to pronounce that one right...it's basic spelling; an E is not an A.

There's this one guy on FSN and whenever he says Havlat it sounds like he's saying Hamlet, lol And he kept pronouncing Kari Lehtonen as "Corey" Lehtonen. C'mon, you don't have to know a word of Finnish to get that right....

And there is this lady also on FSN who completely mangled Antero Niittymaki's name...she pronounced it "Antti Nit-uh-maki". Antti is a completley different name, not a nickname for Antero. And once she was talking about Malkin's departure from Magnitogorsk, which is pronounced Mag-NEE-tuh-gorsk, and she pronounces it "Magni-taGORSK"with Magni all as one syllable and not split up ...it's hard to describe in writing but it was really off.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/07/2007 17:23:26
Go to Top of Page

Guest5029
( )

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  14:43:03  Reply with Quote
Today's fabulous call from Colesy in the Superbowl Sunday Hab/pens game:

"Here's Gonchar - he doesn't want to shoot it....but he does"

LMFAO!!!!!!!

That is friggen priceless...another classic senile call from Colesy. Yes he's getting long in the tooth. Yes he's having trouble keeping up. I still love this guy....he's a classic! Nobody makes calls that make you look at the people your watching the game with and laugh your bag off like Colesy. I love his mistakes and cheezyness. His intonation still makes him one of the all time best - even while he's totally wrong or lostt. When he quits he will be missed.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  18:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya he got Raycroft and Emery mixed up on Saturday night too. He had Sens taking shots on Emery and vice versa. I think it's time for him to hang it up, but look at his replacement, Cassie Campbell !!! Hell, she sounds just as monotone and exciting as he does.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  21:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most ex-players start off that way. I remember when Kelly Hrudey first started. He could hardly enunciate and he sweated through his jacket. She's new but give her time.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  22:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

Most ex-players start off that way. I remember when Kelly Hrudey first started. He could hardly enunciate and he sweated through his jacket. She's new but give her time.

I totally agree with you.......The one thing I really like about her is she is POSITIVE...she doesn't always mention the mistakes other players make, but mostly just mentions the good plays made......I like the idea of an optomistic colour commentator, there are very few of them....Though that new guy on cbc who does the late games with jim Hughson is pretty solid too (can't remember his name off the top of my head....Not millen, but the bald, NEW guy).

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  22:56:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like what IHC had to say in his last comment im soo tired of hearing what players should have done instead of the good plays that happend its always "he should have..." or "he did this wrong.." where as cassie campbell actually has good things to say about a play. and its DREW REMENDA who does the late game with Jim Hughson, i think hes pretty good.

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  08:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know why he's so good? He used to be the assistant coach of the Sharks and then became a broadcast analyst for them, then he moved up to the TV crew and then he even hosted Shark Byte, which is a TV show in San Jose that gives fans a "behind-the-scenes" look at the Sharks.

I guess when you're around the Sharks so much, you just naturally get better...
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  09:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drew is amazing....favorite NHL-caster, hands down.

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Guest5259
( )

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  09:32:33  Reply with Quote
Cole you suck at announcing and your like 500 years old why cant you just quit
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  17:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5029

That is friggen priceless...another classic senile call from Colesy.

You know what I love? When announcers combine players' names and come up with weird stuff. Once some guy did it with Crosby and Malkin and accidentally said "Sidney Malkin", and during the NYI-PHI game someone combined Pitkanen with Zhitnik and said "Zhitkanen"! LOL That was pretty funny.

Once during a Frozen Four game, the commentator was interviewing the goalie from Boston College with the last name Schneider, and said "Schneider stopped a lot of schnots" (instead of "shots") It was so funny, I burst out laughing...LOL

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/07/2007 17:49:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page