Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Toronto media at it again... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  15:50:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This week I have heard that Mats Sundin has moved into 38th on the NHL's all time points list at leat 4 times. It's as if the NHL counts like this: 1, 2, 3, 38, 4, 5... Google +"Mat's Sundin" +38th and you get over 1200 hits.
Sportsnet was the worst offender, making it sound like he was 3 points behind Gretzky.
This is ridiculous. A) It's not like 38th is a milestone, and b) It's not like he's the 38th best player ever. He's not even in the Top 50... or 75.
Don't get me wrong, Mats Sundin is a great player, but where has he led the Maple Leafs?

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, I agree, its getting more publicity then it should, but he has been the heart and soul of the leafs for years. He has led them to 2 confrence finals, and led them to many consecutive playoff aperences, (excluding last year.)

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2007 :  16:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know titman, 38th out of tens of thousands of players in a hundred years is pretty spectacular! And he could have a few years left too. I'm not a leaf fan but he's in good company right now (in no certain order):

Beliveau, Stastny, Murphy, Hously, Ullman, Clarke, Modano, Cicarelli, Nicholls, Damphouse, Bobby Hull. That's a pretty awesome list. It's not Lemieux, Messier, Howe or Gretzky - but it's pretty mpressive.

And when you have a team that is not being very successful you gotta play up the milestones right.
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  12:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

I don't know titman, 38th out of tens of thousands of players in a hundred years is pretty spectacular!

Oh I do agree. with that. And Sundin is indeed a great player, but answer me this... Where is Pierre Turgeon on the all time list? Or Brendan Shanahan? Well, let me tell you!
Turgeon scored 3 points against Edmonton in December to move into 26th spot, all time. Shanahan is tied with Alex Delvecchio for 29th, all time, and will pass him any day now. How much will we hear about that?
Hell, Joe Sakic moved into 10th place, all time earlier this year, and got less press than Sundin did for 38th.
I have nothing against Sundin, he's a helluva player. And moving into 38th may be worth mentioning... once. But is it really that big a deal?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 02/02/2007 :  13:56:01  Reply with Quote
And they will be talking about it for the next few months since the playoffs are a pipe dream.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  11:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4943

And they will be talking about it for the next few months since the playoffs are a pipe dream.

So you say.

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  12:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look, I'm no Leafs fan but come on, he's 38th out of all those players that have ever played in the NHL! That's pretty damn good! You don't seem to complain when the entire media goes on and on about Crosby's accomplishments, so what's the deal here, eh?

Though I do see your point. As impressive as it is, repeating it 4 times over would get old...especially when they're ignoring Joe Sakic. But it seems that's pretty typical of Toronto...

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/05/2007 13:44:04
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I think that some people are forgetting that Sundin plays for the LEAFS! I mean come on...it doesn't matter if you like it or not...Toronto in the center of the NHL...so why is it such a big surprise that Sundin is getting all this fame for moving into 38th spot all time? Sure there are active players who are much higher then him on the all time list but they don't play for the leafs and I think that has A LOT to do with it.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  13:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and another thing...talking about Crosby's play is not surprising...19 years old...84pts in 49 games!?!?! What else are you gonna talk about? He's something special that guy...
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  14:14:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

Oh and another thing...talking about Crosby's play is not surprising...19 years old...84pts in 49 games!?!?! What else are you gonna talk about? He's something special that guy...

Dude, talking about his accomplishments is one thing, I have no problem with that, but going on and on about them is another. Especially when it gets in the way of the other good players out there. The media keeps saying how he's gonna be the Next One (when in reality he'd have to stay this good for many seasons, not just one and a half for that to happen), and during intermissions between periods they go and interview Crosby about how much he liked the movie "The Rocket". There are other games on with other good players in them, but what do they do? They ignore them and talk about Crosby's taste in movies. That kind of stuff is what I mean by overblowing Crosby's hype. It gets OLD.

Don't get me wrong, Toronto's Sundin hype/ignoring of the rest of the league gets old too, but the point of my post was to say that Sundin DID accomplish something and it's not really something to blow off.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/05/2007 14:24:58
Go to Top of Page

ultimatetitman
Rookie

Canada
244 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  13:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dude, talking about his accomplishments is one thing, I have no problem with that, but going on and on about them is another. Especially when it gets in the way of the other good players out there. The media keeps saying how he's gonna be the Next One (when in reality he'd have to stay this good for many seasons, not just one and a half for that to happen), and during intermissions between periods they go and interview Crosby about how much he liked the movie "The Rocket". There are other games on with other good players in them, but what do they do? They ignore them and talk about Crosby's taste in movies. That kind of stuff is what I mean by overblowing Crosby's hype. It gets OLD.

Don't get me wrong, Toronto's Sundin hype/ignoring of the rest of the league gets old too, but the point of my post was to say that Sundin DID accomplish something and it's not really something to blow off.

All I can say in response is that, living in Vancouver, we hear A LOT more about Sundin, Tucker, Kaberle, McCabe, etc than we do about Crosby, Ovechkin, Lecavalier, etc. It's to the point of stupidity, espcially on the CBC, where most of their money/funding comes from outside of Toronto.
Again, I am not criticising Sundin, he's a great player. I am being critical of the media.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2007 :  14:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ultimatetitman

Again, I am not criticising Sundin, he's a great player. I am being critical of the media.

The same is true of my response about Crosby. I hear enough of him as well. I wasn't aware that ALL the Leafs got so much attention even in Vancouver from CBC, so yeah I'd agree that would get pretty annoying.
Go to Top of Page

saku11
Top Prospect

Canada
82 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  18:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sundin is a great player but not good enough to make the leafs win a cup.

HABS ALL THE WAY
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2007 :  18:24:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The leafs have no chance in winning the cup and prob wont even make the playoffs
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page