Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 The Humble One Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  20:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would I hate Orr for not celebrating after a goal? I personally don't understand it, I played house league many years and scored A LOT of goals (I wasn't a house player, I just couldn't commit to anything more) and kept telling myself, well if you score so often why do you even celebrate anymore? Yet everytime I scored, I just naturally raised at least one arm just because it felt good to score. I NEVER went nuts (except once when I scored a tournament-winning goal in double-OT) but I couldn't do ABSOLUTELY nothing either. Like Ovechkin answered when asked why he goes ballistic after every goal he scores, he has a job to do and that's to score. When he does his job, he's happy about it and finds it appropriate to celebrate. Now I paraphrased a bit but there's no arrogance. Good for Orr if he could control himself completely, that's fine.

I don't find Gretzky's quotes arrogant. He is giving the secret to his success, big deal. He isn't saying "I skate to where the puck will be because I'm better than everyone else and I'm the best hockey to ever breathe on this Earth". If that's what you're inferring then that's up to you. I'm not any kind of Gretzky lover or anything, but I think it's unfair to base your judgments of others based on your inferences. I know that's how 99% of us judge people but that's why the word gossip exists.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/08/2007 20:21:41
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  20:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey babs remember the time when Kovalchuk scored an empty net goal and started riding his stick? hahaha, a little celebration is ok but some players just don't know how to act. I personally played Junior "A" and University hockey in Ontario for a total of 4 years and not once did i ride my stick when I scored. And I didn't score a lot, haha, hence why I'm not playing anymore...lol. But you have to know when to celebrate and when to show class I agree with you on the Gretzky thing though...although it was a good thing to look into.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  20:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean you'd hate him for not celebrating, i meant because he was humble.
It's funny, I go to work and when i finish up some paper work i don't feel compelled to celebrate.
I'm not sure what your second last sentence means.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  22:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

1.Mario - Arrogance rating 6/10
2.Hasek - 11/10
3.Orr - 1/10 (yes, one)
4.Lafleur - 0/10
5.Jagr - 7/10
6.Bourque - 0/10
7.Trottier - 9/10
8.Gretzky - 9/10
9.Esposito - 10/10 (make that 11/10 but in an endearing way)
10.Stastny - 0/10

Interesting opinion
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  22:27:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:
Originally posted by leigh

Hi Willus, love the thread and I agree that we need a few more "debateable" conversations around here. It's obviously a good topic considering the response. Keep it up.

Like pucknuts was saying, I think you need to see the whole statement in context. If this was one snippet of a long interview it's not that conceited. He was probably lead down the path and his words came out. Eventually everyone submits when you get grilled by the same stuff over and over. Over 20 years you're bound to come off soounding bad occasionally.

And if the only times you sound conceited are when you are complimenting others, you can't be all bad.

As for Yzerman, I have to admit I cringed a bit when i heard that but i can dismiss it quite easily because of who he is and what he acocmplished. He was good for the game more than he was bad for it (20 fold!!) So was WG.

Appreciate it Leigh. I'll find some more quotes to bolster my viewpoint.

No sweat Willus. good stuff. Again, these quotes have got to be in contet or they aren't worth much. I watched Gretzky's whole career and I never found him to be arrogant. Like any famous person, and one that is at the top of their field, it has to be a challenge to maintain a level of modesty and relatively speaking I think he did a good job.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  22:58:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said that it's unfair to always base your opinions of others on what you THINK they meant by saying something, as opposed to what they were implying. There was one too many "base" words in there but I hope that clears it up.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  09:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gretzky was driven to break records. It was his way of putting his stamp on the game. I see nothing arrogant about that. And his comments about skating to where the puck is going to be, that is the way he played. I don't think that is arrogant as much as it was a statement. The same comments were made towards Dennis Rodman when we played b-ball before he was a freak. He was a great rebounder because he almost knew where the ball was going to come off the backboard or rim. Other players would react to where it was going, he was already there. It's just a natural ability. Not arrogant.

And in regards to celebrations after a goal, I think the whole thing through all sports is overdone. And thinking about Gretzky, you would see his arms raised or pumping the fist, but rarely a freak out. Unless it was a huge goal or a record. That is warranted. And it was never done towards the other team.

I think if a guy like L. Tomlinson in the NFL. He gets a touchdown and just hands the ball to the ref. When asked about it, he says, "If I make a big deal about it, it's like saying I don't get here often and I might not again any time soon." That is paraphrasing. My point is, no celebration is sometimes just as cocky and arrogant as not celebration. My opinion about Orr was that it was so easy to him, he just skated away. If I was the opposition, that would get me just as bad as someone celebrating.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Gretzky was driven to break records. It was his way of putting his stamp on the game. I see nothing arrogant about that. And his comments about skating to where the puck is going to be, that is the way he played. I don't think that is arrogant as much as it was a statement. The same comments were made towards Dennis Rodman when we played b-ball before he was a freak. He was a great rebounder because he almost knew where the ball was going to come off the backboard or rim. Other players would react to where it was going, he was already there. It's just a natural ability. Not arrogant.

And in regards to celebrations after a goal, I think the whole thing through all sports is overdone. And thinking about Gretzky, you would see his arms raised or pumping the fist, but rarely a freak out. Unless it was a huge goal or a record. That is warranted. And it was never done towards the other team.

I think if a guy like L. Tomlinson in the NFL. He gets a touchdown and just hands the ball to the ref. When asked about it, he says, "If I make a big deal about it, it's like saying I don't get here often and I might not again any time soon." That is paraphrasing. My point is, no celebration is sometimes just as cocky and arrogant as not celebration. My opinion about Orr was that it was so easy to him, he just skated away. If I was the opposition, that would get me just as bad as someone celebrating.

I completely support what you are saying beans. I mean celebrating is the right thing to do when you score and most players do it on every goal they score. Throwing your hands up in the air is a natural thing to do when the puck goes into the net. But, with that said...there is a time to celebrate by jumping up and down, for example stanley cup winning goal, or if you just broke a record. Jumping against the glass when you scored to make it 7-1 is not right. Maybe I'm a little old school on this but thats the way I feel. There is a time to celebrate and there is a time to not rub it in by showing some class and acting like you've scored a goal before.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  10:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

....I think if a guy like L. Tomlinson in the NFL. He gets a touchdown and just hands the ball to the ref. When asked about it, he says, "If I make a big deal about it, it's like saying I don't get here often and I might not again any time soon." That is paraphrasing. My point is, no celebration is sometimes just as cocky and arrogant as not celebration. My opinion about Orr was that it was so easy to him, he just skated away. If I was the opposition, that would get me just as bad as someone celebrating....

Good point Beans. It's almost like you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. I guess it just comes back to personal opinion and upbringing.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  14:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I would rather see a guy freak out and jump into the glass in a 7-1 game then see one more football player get on a knee and point to the heavens or one more person "thank God" for something that happened in sport. God had nothing to do with your hat trick or your 99 yrd kick off return.

Nothing makes me laugh as hard as that.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  17:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans you made me laugh so hard my side is splitting, I feel the same way, when these guys thank God I think to myself, oh he must be a fan of your team...why did he not help the defence stop you???

Ah well you get the picture

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy…
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PuckNuts

Beans you made me laugh so hard my side is splitting, I feel the same way, when these guys thank God I think to myself, oh he must be a fan of your team...why did he not help the defence stop you???

Ah well you get the picture

Youre forgetting tha arrogant moment after getting trounced by a weak east team in the 93 FInals, Mr "l'Equipe C'est Moi" Humble started talking about whether he might retire instead of praising his team or teh Habs.

Or how he used his friendship withCollie Campbell to avoid a suspension for Doan or when he freaked out when he scored anotehr troll gaol to maek it 6-1 against teh Habs in G3 81 playoffs.

Or WORST of all when he refused to congratulate Mario after Mario scored to make it 6-5 in the Canada Cup Finals. He couldnt bring himself to go over and celebrate with Mario - he waited (eventho he was the passer) for otehrs to come to him.

Arrogance is not supporting Gordie ($11,00 a year pension) in the pension fight and losing his friendship...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again Chooch, your amazing ignorance to the real world amazes me. Way to bend things in your favor again. Check out this video of the winning goal of the 87 Canada Cup. If you notice, after the goal is scored you only see the number 66 with his arms around "someone." Then you see #10 and #8 and another player with longer dark hair. The camera pans away and there are NO other Canadian players on the ice. Then, when the happy Canadians peel off the boards, who was it that Mario had his arms around?? Who was it?? I can see the letter "C" on his jersey. Who is that guy?? Who was the captain of Team Canada in 87???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8gr7_dbDIM

"I'd like to take this time to thank God for this post. Without him and all his power, I could not have succeeded in this. Also, I would like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ my Saviour in giving me the power to tolerate meatballs like Chooch. Praise be Allah."

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/09/2007 18:30:33
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  18:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I thank God for your most recent post, I am still laughing from the one before...I wonder if he will help me open the next one...

I am on a mission from God, to sellect the GOAT hockey team...

Edited by - PuckNuts on 03/09/2007 18:37:14
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  22:48:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Again Chooch, your amazing ignorance to the real world amazes me. Way to bend things in your favor again. Check out this video of the winning goal of the 87 Canada Cup. If you notice, after the goal is scored you only see the number 66 with his arms around "someone." Then you see #10 and #8 and another player with longer dark hair. The camera pans away and there are NO other Canadian players on the ice. Then, when the happy Canadians peel off the boards, who was it that Mario had his arms around?? Who was it?? I can see the letter "C" on his jersey. Who is that guy?? Who was the captain of Team Canada in 87???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8gr7_dbDIM

"I'd like to take this time to thank God for this post. Without him and all his power, I could not have succeeded in this. Also, I would like to thank the Lord Jesus Christ my Saviour in giving me the power to tolerate meatballs like Chooch. Praise be Allah."

Namecalling is so childish.

Maybe for a hockey newbie like you I shoudl have specified G2 of the Canada CUp FInals. This isnt a new argument.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  23:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some hockey fans need to look up to see the floor...then the broom comes by and sweeps them away...

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  00:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont understand what willus is trying to prove??
its like he wants gretzky to say "i am not good i am an average low level player and dont deserve any credit for anything ive ever done" I dont think he is arrogant but when almost he entire sporting world knows your name and puts you with guys like: Jordan, Woods, Ruth all the best in there sports u have the right to be arrogant

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I called no one anything personally. I don't know what you are talking about Chooch. I think you are ignorant. That's not calling you a name; it's describing one of your most endearing traits.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  08:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin Edit:

This does nothing to contribute to the topic at hand.
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  14:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Admin Edit:

This does nothing to contribute to the topic at hand.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  15:14:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys lay off the petty name calling and argue about hockey.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 03/10/2007 17:11:01
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  16:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I called no one anything personally. I don't know what you are talking about Chooch. I think you are ignorant. That's not calling you a name; it's describing one of your most endearing traits.

Sorry to burst your bubble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7sRLrfJjg&mode=related&search=
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  16:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chooch

quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi7sRLrfJjg&mode=related&search=

I think perhaps that Beans was thinking of the final game of the series (Gretz->Lemieux)

in either case, i'm not sure that this video proves your point Chooch.. in fact, i'm pretty sure it doesnt prove anything.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  17:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tctitans. This proves nothing.

And please re-read my post. I do not call Chooch a meatball, I called people like Chooch a meatball. Not him directly.
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  13:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with Tctitans. This proves nothing.

And please re-read my post. I do not call Chooch a meatball, I called people like Chooch a meatball. Not him directly.

It proves nothing?

It proves you know nothing about hockey or its history. I could have guessed by your heroworship of 99.

as for the meatball explanation its impossible to figure out what you are saying anyway.Even you dont know, kid.

Edited by - chooch on 03/11/2007 13:58:32
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  14:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gotta say chooch, the video shows Lemieux score then flashes off him then it flashes back and shows the whole team in the same spot as lemieux was standing before

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9872
( )

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  16:28:02  Reply with Quote
i dont get what the problem is here. if i had broke half the records in hockey, been deemed "the great one" had my number retired across the league, and lets not forget a couple hundred mil in the bank, i would be cocky as hell too.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  17:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, why is it OK with some people for Crosby to be cocky because he's famous but it's not OK for Gretzky?
Go to Top of Page

guinman
Top Prospect

Canada
52 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here are the best NHL players I've seen in 35 years with an arrogance rating attached:

1.Mario - Arrogance rating 6/10
2.Hasek - 11/10
3.Orr - 1/10 (yes, one)
4.Lafleur - 0/10
5.Jagr - 7/10
6.Bourque - 0/10
7.Trottier - 9/10
8.Gretzky - 9/10
9.Esposito - 10/10 (make that 11/10 but in an endearing way)
10.Stastny - 0/10

While others were as arrogant if not more than 99, his Barnet/IMG image was created to be like Orr. He is not Orr. He was a wussy on the ice and cared only for his stats more than winning and he was not Humble in reality which was willus' point.

I mean: do you know Janet Jones Orr? Walter Orr? Paulina Orr?

No?

Orr is humble and keeps his family out of the spotlight. How many here know the names of the 2 sons of Bobby Orr?
Guy Lafleur was humble to the point of keeping the score down in the third period rather than get a hattrick and embarras someone.

Bobby Hull i hear was a top notch arrogant guy too.

I just wanted to say that Bobby orr was a tough son of a bitch - the toughest guy/ superstar ever. I think he would've wiped the ice with even Gordie Howe. A lot of people don't realize this.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  20:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by guinman
I just wanted to say that Bobby orr was a tough son of a bitch - the toughest guy/ superstar ever. I think he would've wiped the ice with even Gordie Howe. A lot of people don't realize this.

It's not about 'realizing' its about 'agreeing with you', which I for one, do not. ;) Gordie was as tough as they come - no slight to Bobby.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  07:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chooch, again your wisdom is beyond comprehension. I am a Wayne Gretzky Fan, along with droves of others, and that makes my hockey knowledge non-existent. Yet, your opinions of Gretzky being mediocre make you a supreme hockey intellect. I have done my best to keep an open mind and take other peoples point of view into consideration when thinking of the vast topic of hockey. You, however, have not. For example, you can see in Game 2 that is “appears” that Gretzky was not near Mario to celebrate the winning goal. The video to me doesn’t show much. It shows a winning goal, and an entire team celebrating. You are right in the fact that it does not show Gretzky celebrating with Lemieux. I acknowledge that. However, in game 3, it clearly shows Mario and Gretzky celebrating together. You did not acknowledge that. Only what you consider the “negativity” that Gretzky supposedly had shown in Game 2 by not fighting his way through the entire Canadian team to celebrate with Lemieux. Your argument contradicts itself in the matter of two games.

And your statement of, “Even you don't know, kid” was a stinging blow that I doubt my fragile psyche will ever recover from. There are many things I have not learned in my 29 years of life. However, there is one thing I have learned that it appears you have not. Ignorance is not bliss. It is just ignorant.

And finally, it has finally dawned on me why you were tossed out of the other forum site that you and Willis speak of. I know for certain, if this was my site, I would toss you out too. Not because of your opinions. I respect your opinions. It’s your ignorance of other people’s opinions.

Chooch, I did not intend on calling you a meatball. If that is the way you took it, I am sorry. I was stating that I have challenges dealing with people who I find ignorant. Wheather you are ignorant or not is my opinion, and that give me no right to slam you for it. Won't happen again.

Edited by - Beans15 on 03/12/2007 12:02:18
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  10:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, all of you, I have two things to say:

1) Stay on topic and give up the personal attacks.
2) The key to a good discussion is the ability to keep an open mind. Granted, it is easier said than done but make an effort, please.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6101
( )

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  12:46:38  Reply with Quote
What if the original question was "Does Larionov remind you, of you?" or "Do you think Larionov sees the ice the same way you do?"

The question, and timing of the answer can't be ignored. Without them, the whole discussion is moot.
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  16:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chooch, again your wisdom is beyond comprehension. I am a Wayne Gretzky Fan, along with droves of others, and that makes my hockey knowledge non-existent. Yet, your opinions of Gretzky being mediocre make you a supreme hockey intellect. I have done my best to keep an open mind and take other peoples point of view into consideration when thinking of the vast topic of hockey. You, however, have not. For example, you can see in Game 2 that is “appears” that Gretzky was not near Mario to celebrate the winning goal. The video to me doesn’t show much. It shows a winning goal, and an entire team celebrating. You are right in the fact that it does not show Gretzky celebrating with Lemieux. I acknowledge that. However, in game 3, it clearly shows Mario and Gretzky celebrating together. You did not acknowledge that. Only what you consider the “negativity” that Gretzky supposedly had shown in Game 2 by not fighting his way through the entire Canadian team to celebrate with Lemieux. Your argument contradicts itself in the matter of two games.

And your statement of, “Even you don't know, kid” was a stinging blow that I doubt my fragile psyche will ever recover from. There are many things I have not learned in my 29 years of life. However, there is one thing I have learned that it appears you have not. Ignorance is not bliss. It is just ignorant.

And finally, it has finally dawned on me why you were tossed out of the other forum site that you and Willis speak of. I know for certain, if this was my site, I would toss you out too. Not because of your opinions. I respect your opinions. It’s your ignorance of other people’s opinions.

Chooch, I did not intend on calling you a meatball. If that is the way you took it, I am sorry. I was stating that I have challenges dealing with people who I find ignorant. Wheather you are ignorant or not is my opinion, and that give me no right to slam you for it. Won't happen again.

What the hell are you babbling about?

Just answer this: The 77 Habs gave up 180 GA; Lafleur had 56 goals 80 assists and was a + 80. What if Bowman had accepted that Lafleur was going to camp out at centre and be on the ice for 150 even strength goals against. Would Lafleur have scored 200+ points?

I'd say 100 goals 150 assists werent out of the question.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  17:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just answer this: The 77 Habs gave up 180 GA; Lafleur had 56 goals 80 assists and was a + 80. What if Bowman had accepted that Lafleur was going to camp out at centre and be on the ice for 150 even strength goals against. Would Lafleur have scored 200+ points?

Apples and Oranges, it's impossible to tell. Who knows, perhaps he would have scored 80 goals and had 100 assist, perhaps he would have only scored 30 goals and 30 assists.

Your point is taken, but it's conclusion is not based on logic.

Edited by - tctitans on 03/12/2007 17:13:56
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  15:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

Apples and Oranges, it's impossible to tell. Who knows, perhaps he would have scored 80 goals and had 100 assist, perhaps he would have only scored 30 goals and 30 assists.

?
Are you saying its illogical just because you can't prove it historicaly?

Edited by - chooch on 03/13/2007 15:51:10
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2007 :  16:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by tctitans

quote:

?
Are you saying its illogical just because you can't prove it historicaly?

Chooch, respectfully it's like saying what if Lafleur didn't smoke 3 packs a day and decided to work out. the argument is based in la la land.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2007 :  12:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chooch, my answer it is possible. It could have happened. It is a hypothetical question, so it is impossible to answer correctly. No one will ever know.

I guess my question back is what does this question prove and how does it relate to Gretzky???
Go to Top of Page

chooch
Top Prospect

Afghanistan
60 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  16:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Chooch, my answer it is possible. It could have happened. It is a hypothetical question, so it is impossible to answer correctly. No one will ever know.

I guess my question back is what does this question prove and how does it relate to Gretzky???

Gretzky's "records" arent nearly that impressive when you analyze things as above with Lafleur who never cared about records and when you see that 99 never won a cup without Mess or that Mess and the Oilers won the Cup after Gretz left you can see why I have him well down a Top players list and after the likes of Lafleur who truly dominated.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2007 :  17:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lafleur never won a Cup after 1979. Nor did he break 85 points or 30 goals a year, through arguably the highest scoring period in NHL history. Lafleur won 5 Stanley Cups with Montreal in 7 years with virtually the same team and the best coach in the league at the time. Montreal won the Stanley Cup the year after Lafluer left.

Can you please explain to me how this is different than Gretzky?? He did very close to the same thing. Both played on amazing teams and didn't do much after they left those teams in regards to taking their team to the Cup. Both player’s former teams won the Cup the year after they left.

Can you explain to me, and everyone else, how these arguments prove that Lafleur was a better player than Gretzky??
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page