Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Should there be two teams in TO? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lrocker
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, the only reason the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund doesn't need to worry about having a good team on the ice is hockey fan density. With two teams in TO, there would be choice for the fans, and owners would have to put a good team on the ice.

Am I correct

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  07:12:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt say 2 teams in toronto, but i would like more teams in canada
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  08:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, two teams in Toronto. Then they could change the name to Hockey Night in Toronto. You would never see another team on TV again.

HORRIBLE IDEA!!
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:06:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, thats a really bad idea. I think Winnipeg should get a team.
Go to Top of Page

oil fan97
Rookie

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is the worst idea ever but more canadian teams would be nice
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they're gonna add another team, why put it in Toronto? They've got one already and it gets more than enough media attention. Canada's a big country, and there are more cities within it other than TO.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/18/2007 11:04:09
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad idea for all the above reasons along with: the team would NEVER last. The sceond team would have barely any fans. Toronto has a great NHL history. Who would want to leave their Leafs to join their Leaves or w/e the team would be called?
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Double the hatred, nothing good would come out it.

Now if a team came to Winnipeg, then nothing could go wrong

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a really stupid idea, why would anyone want to reward the toronto fans with 2 teams, other then give other good hockey areas (Winnipeg, Quebec City, Seatle) to name a few 1 team.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:26:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bad idea, and I live in Toronto...I couldn't see another team here. There would be no fans to support the team because we're all so loyal to our leafs

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  12:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love all this talk (not just this thread) about cities just "getting" teams, like they're handed out in exchange for coupons or something.

I agree with Beans. Like Toronto sports need more media attention...
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  20:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already hate watching the leafs play on HNIC i don't want to see two of them but winni should get a team back .
Go to Top of Page

The_only_Odelein_fan
Top Prospect

Canada
94 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  21:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who wants two loser teams in Toronto? Not me!

Lyle Odelein is a god!
Go to Top of Page

Buddyno2000
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
606 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  09:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon Guys they should put a team in New Brunswick If it is that easy to get a team. about the two teams in toronto was that real talk or you were just saying.

Go leafs Go by the way

Edited by - Buddyno2000 on 03/19/2007 09:07:21
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think New Brunswick has enough population to carry a team.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  16:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There isn't a city in Canada today that doesn't all ready have a team that could handle a team today. It more than population, it's corporate support as well. Not Winnipeg, not a team in the Atlantic, not one out West. What you see is what you are going to get.

Besides, why water down the league with more teams?? It has taken for ever since the "expansion crazy" in the 90's to get most teams competative.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million. New York does it. There's no reason Toronto couldn't.
I think you're right about the fact that it would force the Leafs to do a better job of managing their team. It's ridiculous that they were perennial "also rans" with the amount of money that was available all those years. Very poor management.
As for all those who want a team somewhere else in Canada first, keep dreaming. With the possible exception of Hamilton, there isn't another market viable enough to sustain a team.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many areas of both Countries could support an NHL team...but do you really want to see me skating down the wing...it would be so watered down if we add more teams...30 is plenty for the next 15-20 years, that way I will be to old to play...Okay I am too old now...

I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy…
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  17:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly. The population of Canada is 32 million, the population of the US is 280 million. If they added a team (or multiple teams) to every city/state/province that could support them the NHL would have hundreds of teams, which obviously makes no sense.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/19/2007 17:50:23
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  18:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Barrie Ontario is a great location for a new team. Last census showed it's the most growing area in CANADA! They are also pretty hockey crazy there.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  18:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have the Barrie Colts been sold out for the past 5 seasons like the London Knights...We have 9,000+ at every game for five seasons, I think we could put 18,000+ if we had the arena for an NHL team...One day we might...

Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  19:01:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think about this...There is two teams in Pennsylvania

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  19:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.

I didn't say they should, I said they could. I also said I'm against expansion.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  19:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not if PHILADELPHIA keeps playing the way they are. They go through goalies like a baby through diapers, Biron I wish you the best...you seem to have helped the team, but don't let a weak one get through, or your outa there...

Edited by - PuckNuts on 03/19/2007 19:14:27
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  23:48:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto could EASILY support another team and I don't see it as such a bad idea as everyone is making it out to be. I would love to see teams everywhere in Canada. Other places in Canada maybe a risk though. If you put another team in Toronto there would be NO problem in getting a sell out crowd every game. I live in Toronto and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get Leaf tickets. People would watch the other team purely based on that reason. Sure the fans would just be Leaf fans who can't get Leafs tickets but I don't see that as a big issue. The NHL needs another team that will sell out no matter if the team is first or last.

Good idea.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  00:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ED11

Toronto could EASILY support another team and I don't see it as such a bad idea as everyone is making it out to be. I would love to see teams everywhere in Canada. Other places in Canada maybe a risk though. If you put another team in Toronto there would be NO problem in getting a sell out crowd every game. I live in Toronto and it is IMPOSSIBLE to get Leaf tickets. People would watch the other team purely based on that reason. Sure the fans would just be Leaf fans who can't get Leafs tickets but I don't see that as a big issue. The NHL needs another team that will sell out no matter if the team is first or last.

Good idea.

Im sure the NHL wouldnt put a team in a city that couldnt hold it, and i really dont think any of the canadian citys being rumered as possible locations couldnt hold a team

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6125
( )

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  02:22:05  Reply with Quote
Winnipeg had a team and does not deserve another chance.
NY has 3 teams but drawing <10,000 fans in NJ, and on the island is less then impressive.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6125

Winnipeg had a team and does not deserve another chance.
NY has 3 teams but drawing <10,000 fans in NJ, and on the island is less then impressive.

And why don't we deserve it?

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  13:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kashmire

They are also pretty hockey crazy there.

They're hockey crazy everywhere in Canada...

PS Willus, I know you said they shouldn't have a second TO team, I was just expanding on why they shouldn't using your 5 million population stat.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 03/20/2007 13:58:16
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  15:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

yep we Canadians love are hockey Eh
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2007 :  15:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

PS Willus, I know you said they shouldn't have a second TO team, I was just expanding on why they shouldn't using your 5 million population stat.

For Canada it's fairly safe to go by population as a basis for whether a team can be supported because such a large percentage of the population are hockey fans. It doesn't work that way in the states. A lot of the expansion teams are proof of that. There are countless American cities with around a population of 1 million that would never be able to support a team like Calgary and Edmonton do. Of course it also depends on corporate support from businesses in the city.
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  00:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

quote:

Good idea.

Im sure the NHL wouldnt put a team in a city that couldnt hold it, and i really dont think any of the canadian citys being rumered as possible locations couldnt hold a team

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Ok, all I meant by that is that putting a team in Toronto isn't a risk at all. The second team would sell out no matter what. Even if the people going to the games are really just Leaf fans who can't get tickets to Leaf games. That wouldn't matter to the NHL because they need another team that can sell out every game basically no matter what.

I would like to see another team in the east though.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  01:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gawwwwd no.

Perhaps just replace the Leafs with a new franchise.
Go to Top of Page

tctitans
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
931 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  01:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is an impossibility anyways... no matter if we like or hate it.

The Leafs, and the league, would never allow it.

Heck, the Leafs wouldnt even allow a team in Hamilton.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  14:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me put it this way if one can't make the playoffs what makes you think the other one can
Go to Top of Page

ED11
Rookie

Canada
224 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  14:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does making the playoffs have to do with this??? Lets face facts. Toronto CAN hold another team. The Leafs not allowing it is a different story. And replacing the franchise??? Tctitans are you serious? Come on.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  14:08:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What does making the playoffs have to do with this??? Lets face facts. Toronto CAN hold another team. The Leafs not allowing it is a different story. And replacing the franchise??? Tctitans are you serious? Come on.

It has to do with everything every frachises goal is to make the playoffs and if one Toronto team can make what does the other one stands a chance
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2007 :  14:08:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nobodys saying toronto couldnt do it, there just saying it would be a stupid idea

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  05:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, and the two teams could play each other 30 times (once every Saturday night), and Bob and Harry could each pick which team they'll root for...I mean...um...be completely unbiased while giving commentary for

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  06:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could probably put a team in Timmins and sell out every game. At any rate, another team in TO would MOST DEFINITELY survive, in fact flourish. You should see how many ppl come down from TO at Sabes games, willing to pay $150 a ticket for crappy upper bowl seats. Plus, especially nowadays, there's enough resentment of the Leafs in TO to build a fanbase.

Oh, but I'd love to see a team in Barrie. Don't think it will ever happen, but man you guys have some fans up there!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page