Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Should there be two teams in TO? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  10:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no way NHL ownership would ever allow another team to be in Toronto. Buffalo and Toronto owners were hard at work rallying the others in the fraternity to vote to block a move to Hamilton when Basillie was considering moving the Pens there. Current owners in the NHL look out for each other and can vote on where teams are and are not allowed to move/expand to. I would be rather surprised if Ontario ever got another team. In some ways, though, I agree with spreading teams out in Canada, but I really hate to see that number declining.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  14:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

Think about this...There is two teams in Pennsylvania

Yes but Pennsylvania is a state = much bigger. Toronto is a city, and giving two teams to just one city doesn't make much sense. 2+ teams in a state or province is OK, since they're larger in size and population, and the teams could be spread out so that people all over the state/province could have their own team or one close to their area. If this were about adding another team in Ontario, I'd have no problem with it.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2007 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think another team in winnipeg
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  12:31:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On second thought...I guess I wasn't taking a look at the big picture. I've always been a proponent of the reduction of teams in the NHL. Either that or move some of the teams in the south to markets better equipped to handle an NHL team. I mean, I suppose Carolina needs to stay after last year, and Tampa after their season in 04, but I can imagine it being a much more interesting, and more importantly economically viable league without a couple teams in the south. Florida is one I'd yank. I don't know if there's another.
Go to Top of Page

Lrocker
Top Prospect

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2007 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted his to bring up the real important point. It does not matter who is in charge in TO. They DO NOT CARE ABOUT HOCKEY!!!! Ballard DID NOT CARE. Team, SUCKED. OTPF Obviously DOES NOT CARE ABOUT HOCKEY. If the team was in any other city, the TO media (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet etc) would be asking if this is important, but since they are in TO, the media looks the other way.
The only guy to even raise this point, Grapes, mentioned it and no one followed up on the point. Ballard destroyed the team, but I think no one wants to bring up these points in the media, which is far worse. What is the media in TO afraid of?
Also, no one is mentioning another team in TO, even though there ARE lots of hockey fans there, which makes me wonder if the team is terrified of the question even being asked.
It's above Maurice, it's above JFjr, even though he's going to be tossed out within two years, it's the ownership.
P.S. Move the Leafs to Hamilton and see if the new team in Hamilton will be able to stop TO getting another team, wouldn't ever happen. Although a cup in Hamilton would be nice.

"Bye Bye!" John McLaughlin
Go to Top of Page

T-RAV17
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Wow, two teams in Toronto. Then they could change the name to Hockey Night in Toronto. You would never see another team on TV again.

HORRIBLE IDEA!!

You are truly right. How many Saturdays have we seen the Leafs play consecutavely? Count-em. No Surprise here. Plus if there were two Toronto teams, there would be double the hate for Toronto.

Go Sens!
Go to Top of Page

T-RAV17
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:26:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

If they're gonna add another team, why put it in Toronto? They've got one already and it gets more than enough media attention. Canada's a big country, and there are more cities within it other than TO.

LISTEN TO ME BETTMAN and the NHL! PUT A TEAM IN WINNIPEG! JETS NEED A COMEBACK! I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN THE PENS WERE MIGHT HAVING TO MOVE. WINNIPEG IS CRAVING A TEAM!

Go Sens!
Go to Top of Page

T-RAV17
Top Prospect

24 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody wants a team in Winnipeg so give it to Winnipeg! Winnipeg's a fair enough city to have an NHL team. Mario Lemieux, i have one thing to say to you..... why did you have to sign that deal for the Pens to stay? I was so angry when you did that. Just think...... The Winnipeg Jets with Crosby!

Go Sens!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4390
( )

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:34:03  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4390
( )

Posted - 03/24/2007 :  07:39:08  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I'm as against expansion as much as anyone, however Toronto could easily support another team. The population of the GTA is over 5 million.

Heck, the population of Maryland is over 5 million. Do we get a second team other than Washington? No. California has a population of 30 million. Do they have 12 teams (going by two teams per 5 million people)? No. There's no good reason why Toronto should get an extra.

I hate the Leafs as much as anyone, but I have to disagree here. Toronto is probably the only market outside of LA and NY that can support more than one team. It is home to more hockey fans than anywhere else in the world, and it would be good for the NHL to move a team(Nashville perhaps) to such a strong hockey market. I know the Leafs fans think noone will ever leave the Leafs to cheer for another team, but moving a contender, in a poor hockey market, like Nashville, to a large, strong hockey market like Toronto, would result in a similar situation to the Mets and Yankees in NY. I agree that it would mean no other Canadian teams would get any media exposure ever again, but for the league, it would be a smart move.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page