Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Head Shots Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  00:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many of you out there are tired of hearing about "head shots" every 5 minutes on a sports network (in Canada)? These "analysts" think that head shots are a new thing in hockey, incorrectly claiming the players in the NHL today have no respect.
Back in the day, a "headshot" with a SHOULDER was considered a great hit, worthy of Highlight of the Night.....Today, if a players shoulder makes contact with anothers head, that player is immediatley labled as dirty. This makes me sick!!!!!!! Look, hockey's a fast game, guys aren't usually going out there with an intent to cripple his opponent, but it happens (Apparently [according to Bob Mackenzie] hockey is fast enough where it's OK for a ref to miss a call here or there. Yet Bob fails to admit that hockey is fast enough where Chris Pronger accidently elbowed a guy...Sticking out an elbow is a reflex action under the circumstance).
Of course the solution is simple : take head shots out of the game! Don't forget to get rid of fighting. While there at it, they might as well replace hockey pants with skirts. I guess hits below the waist will still be allowed, cause the only players who would want to play a sport where these mythical dangerous hits are not allowed will be players without balls.
Seriously though, I don't like seeing a guy get knocked out Lindros style, but it happens...it didn't happen with regualrity ages ago, even though these "head shots" still did.....And the only analyst out there who has the right solution is the great Don Cherry. Go back to the old shoulder pads!!! The ones like boxing gloves....The league have no problem reducing the size of goal pads, why not reduce the size of skaters pads?

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  06:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree,, i mean now what yu're getting in the head is a hard plastic cup,, they should deffinetly go back to the classic style upper body pads,, and its not so much the head shots that are "dirty" its the late hits, late htis can be a problem but again another thing that would help is if players tied down their helmets

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  08:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I HATE CROSBY

Back in the day, a "headshot" with a SHOULDER was considered a great hit, worthy of Highlight of the Night.....
Of course the solution is simple : take head shots out of the game! Don't forget to get rid of fighting.
Seriously though, I don't like seeing a guy get knocked out Lindros style, but it happens...it didn't happen with regualrity ages ago, even though these "head shots" still did.....And the only analyst out there who has the right solution is the great Don Cherry. Go back to the old shoulder pads!!! The ones like boxing gloves....The league have no problem reducing the size of goal pads, why not reduce the size of skaters pads?

Back in the day? Which day was that?
Head shots have never been legal or glorified by anyone. A head shot is not the equivalent of a fight.
To prevent injuries I completely agree with the old style pads.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  08:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a difference between a headshot and a guy coming in with his feet on the ice and shoulder angled toward a player, hitting him, and by virtue of size difference or the nature of the play catching him in the head. I think by definition a "headshot" means intent, intent to hit the head, or "headhunting," and like Willis eluded to, have never been glorified, ever, and is not comparable to fighting, which presents relatively little risk of injury.

Because the demands on a goalie are mostly mental, it means that for a goalie, the biggest enemy is himself." ~Ken Dryden
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  10:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you IHC. I don't like how all the analysts are on this crusade. Fast game equals dangerous game. I like your comment about intent Mannimn. Intent is a hard thing to prove so as long as the body language says it was intentional then fine, but if you can't tell then then let it go.

One thing IHC is that I actually thing the Pronger hi was pretty ugly. He had to reach out pretty far to get him with the elbow. I'm leanient about hits and that one even crossed my line.

Been saying it for years...go back to the soft shoulder pads (put the hard stuff in the middle. This way you protect your assets and don't damage the game.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  12:24:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Stevens on Lindros type hit is part of hockey. I also agree that there is a big different between a shoulder hit with old style pads compared to the linebacker pads that are used now.

However, I am in total agreement that elbows to the head are not part of the game. And I think it's crap that it is a natural instincts. Young players are not coached to do that. If they are, the problem stems from that. If players are coached and trained not to elbow to the head, and the NHL justly suspends those kinds of hits, they will go away in time.

Sad thing is that someone will have to be seriously hurt to have any action.

Could you imagine if it's Crosby that gets taken out indefinately by a elbow to the head?? Wow, I feel sorry for the guy who hit him and the suspension he would feel!

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

framer87
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  14:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

How many of you out there are tired of hearing about "head shots" every 5 minutes on a sports network (in Canada)? These "analysts" think that head shots are a new thing in hockey, incorrectly claiming the players in the NHL today have no respect.
Back in the day, a "headshot" with a SHOULDER was considered a great hit, worthy of Highlight of the Night.....Today, if a players shoulder makes contact with anothers head, that player is immediatley labled as dirty. This makes me sick!!!!!!! Look, hockey's a fast game, guys aren't usually going out there with an intent to cripple his opponent, but it happens (Apparently [according to Bob Mackenzie] hockey is fast enough where it's OK for a ref to miss a call here or there. Yet Bob fails to admit that hockey is fast enough where Chris Pronger accidently elbowed a guy...Sticking out an elbow is a reflex action under the circumstance).
Of course the solution is simple : take head shots out of the game! Don't forget to get rid of fighting. While there at it, they might as well replace hockey pants with skirts. I guess hits below the waist will still be allowed, cause the only players who would want to play a sport where these mythical dangerous hits are not allowed will be players without balls.

I completely agree, and elbow to the head is another story though that is way worse then a shoulder to the head. If you take out head shots then where are you supposed to hit them? You hit them a little low, Penalty. You hit them a little high,Penalty.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  15:50:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, those elbows are a dangerous weapon, I agree. I don't think they're suspendible unless they're of 94-Bure style, though.....By today's standard, the Stevens hit would be considered cheap. That's my problem.....Stevens' hits were the only thing that made the Devils games watchable!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

framer87
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
338 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2007 :  18:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

ya, those elbows are a dangerous weapon, I agree. I don't think they're suspendible unless they're of 94-Bure style, though.....By today's standard, the Stevens hit would be considered cheap. That's my problem.....Stevens' hits were the only thing that made the Devils games watchable!!!!!

Scott Stevens is my favourite player, I loved watching him crank people every night. Except when he hit Kariya that made me mad because i wanted Anaheim to win.
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  15:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by framer87

quote:

Scott Stevens is my favourite player, I loved watching him crank people every night. Except when he hit Kariya that made me mad because i wanted Anaheim to win.

I loved watching Scott Stevens, it was like after every game he was on the highlight reel for a hit. I also felt sorry for Kariya, but then he got up and scored

Here are Scott Stevens top 10 hits.(sorry, its kind of hard to see)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2007 :  16:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is exactly what the NHL is missing. Watch the majority of the hits. The elbow stays in, the gloves don't even come higher than the crest on the jersey. Couple of them might have left the feet a bit, but it looks more like momentum than leaving the feet for the hit.

Why can't players hit like this instead of bringing the elbows into it??

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page