Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Forsberg Sweepstakes 2007 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2338 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  09:49:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Where will Forsberg end up for 2007/08 NHL hockey season?

Choices:

Ottawa Senators
Vancouver Canucks
Colorado Avalanche
Retired
Other

number1leafsfan
Rookie

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  10:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he'll end up in vancouver i heard ottawa was chasing him but forsberg is friend with naslund and naslund called him and tried to talk him into it lol

I am what I am- Sid The Kid
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  13:10:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forsberg, the way I figure it, has about a 60% chance of playing in the NHL next year, but this is what will have to happen:

1) His surgery has to be a huge success. He won't come back to the NHL if he is not 100%. He can play for any team in Sweden and be an absolute god, so unless he can succeed physically, he won't be back in the NHL.

2) It has to be a team without a lot of travel impact. Again, why travel thousand of miles when he could play in Sweden and have hardly no travel. So, that limits it down to basically the East coast.

3) It has to be a team that has a LEGITIMATE chance of winning the Cup. That narrows the list of NHL teams down to about 10, maybe. With 3-5 of those being on the West coast, that leaves about 5 teams.

4) They have to have the Cap room to pay him. Just that simple.

I would break it down to three possible teams. Ottawa, who has about $4 million under the cap, and potential to move Redden and free up another $6 million. Or, Pittsburgh who have almost $8 million free, or Detroit, who have about $4.5 million free.

I can't see Pitt as Forsberg would play 2nd fiddle to Crosby. I can't see Detroit, because they will keep a flex under the cap to move in the middle of the season if they have to. I can see Ottawa. New GM, want to win a Cup, and don't forget where Alfredsson is from!

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forsberg is probably the biggest question mark in the last 20 years of the NHL. Undeniably incredible talent. I've taken him in my last two reg season pools and last years' playoff. Regretted it, but would probably do it again.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  16:19:48  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
1) His surgery has to be a huge success. He won't come back to the NHL if he is not 100%. He can play for any team in Sweden and be an absolute god, so unless he can succeed physically, he won't be back in the NHL.

Players/agents always say this. It is a negotiating tactic. So that if they start negotiating it gives them the optics of appearing healthier than they may be.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
2) It has to be a team without a lot of travel impact. Again, why travel thousand of miles when he could play in Sweden and have hardly no travel. So, that limits it down to basically the East coast.

I can think of a couple million reasons. He will make decent money over there but much more over here. With a limited shelf life left, he will maximize his remaining earning years. Unless he sustains a devasting injury he will play in the NHL for a couple more years.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  17:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't really think Foppa is hurtin' for cash. I would, however, love to see him return. One of the most incredible players I've ever seen, for sure. Whenever I hear a player has "the puck tied to his stick", I think of Forsberg. He's been amazing.
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  05:51:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans I´m just curious as to why you don´t think Foppa goes to Denver?

I mean he likes the city, won his cups there and knows the other players. I think they have the cap space. And as Mr Oil said I don´t think Foppa needs any more cash. To me Pittsburg seems more unlikely than Denver... just wondering.

A part of me wants him to play a few years in Denver and retire there by sentimental reasons. Ottawa, Vancouver and Detroit would also work.
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  09:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at Col, they are very solid, they were one of, if not the best team in the last 20 games of the season.

They do have cap room, but signing Forsberg will take a spot of one of the young and upcoming players that they have.

Smyth was a great of season signing, and he will be taking the place of Turgeon who I doubt they will sign...When Sakic retires Smyth may become the leader...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

sp.

Edited by - PuckNuts on 08/23/2007 18:19:37
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  19:44:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Don't really think Foppa is hurtin' for cash. I would, however, love to see him return. One of the most incredible players I've ever seen, for sure. Whenever I hear a player has "the puck tied to his stick", I think of Forsberg. He's been amazing.

I don't think it is a matter of "hurting for cash". Not very many NHL'ers are hurting for cash. Let's not forget that these guy's decisions are highly motivated by money. And if they know they are running out of time and can still command a good dollar, they are going to take it! I think 6916 is right, he'll be in the NHL over Sweden.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2007 :  23:39:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I meant was that at this point in his career, Forsberg will do whatever is going to make him happy. He obiously has health concerns to deal with, and, even in the NHL, he won't command the salary he has in past years. I hope he doesn't, but retiring is probably a pretty tempting option for him right now. For a player who has been paid as well as he has, incurs medical problems with increasing frequency every year, has won 2 Stanley Cups, and has family and friends overseas, cash is a motivating factor, but not really much of one.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  17:02:55  Reply with Quote
Fair enough. I guess both sides present tempting arguments. One thing is for sure, he's a competitor and most competitors want to play in the best league. I don't think anyone can argue that is the NHL.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4024
( )

Posted - 08/19/2007 :  20:44:44  Reply with Quote
i have a feeling hes gonna end up in vancouver. Naslund and foppa are childhood friends and Naslund has been talking to him lately. when reporters asked nonis about forsberg he said no comment. also the sedins are friends with forsberg and the sedins nazzy and forsberg are all from the same city!
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  02:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this doesn´t count as spam in the thread but here´s a nice video showing some of the great stuff Foppa did with his short time in Philly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-Ye7ncjzD0

For the nostalgic (Denver): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1BD4sqhRU

Will be my last post for a long time since I´m off for studies.

Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  09:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of people said that when Forsberg went to Nashville it didn't really help the team because David Legwand and others didn't get as much ice time as they normally did. So if he goes to Colorado it would be him and Sakic, it's a great one two punch but then Paul Stastny would get his ice time reduced.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  08:53:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

A lot of people said that when Forsberg went to Nashville it didn't really help the team because David Legwand and others didn't get as much ice time as they normally did. So if he goes to Colorado it would be him and Sakic, it's a great one two punch but then Paul Stastny would get his ice time reduced.

No Sacrifice , No Victory!

That is true, i've never thought about that.
But I just want to see Forsberg retire, he is washed up and just a dead seed. I would hate to see him going to Vancouver or Colorado. They both have plenty of good players that will do them good for the season. I could see Forsberg playing one more season. But I want him to play for the right team. Like Colombus. They picked up Peca who is pretty much in the same boat as Forseberg. He may help a bit, but not a whole lot. If they picked up Forsberg, I bet they would have a lot more confidence in their team. They would get a good 20 goal scorer, and a physical , and strong player. It would be enough for the Blue JAckets to have a playoff run in my perspective. But thats just an idea. But overall, I just want to see Forsbeg playing golf instead of Hockey.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  16:46:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, let me try to understand this. He went to Nashville and didn't help?? He had 15 point ins 17 reg season games and 4 points in 5 playoff games. Did you expect him to put up Gretzky like numbers and take a team to the Cup??

And he's washed up?? He was very close (0.96) to a point per game guy. He's played almost 700 games and he is like 34 years old, but he still has something to offer ANY team if he's healthy.

I just can't understand how someone can say that he's washed up.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  13:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number1leafsfan

he'll end up in vancouver i heard ottawa was chasing him but forsberg is friend with naslund and naslund called him and tried to talk him into it lol

I am what I am- Sid The Kid

I say Ottawa, Philly, or Colorado. He's not going to go to Vancouver because I was listening to AM 640 (If anyone has heard of it) and they said that Naslund has given up on trying to get him to come to Vancouver if he even does play.

[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x49/Jeremy12_24/spezza_sig21.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  16:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very few signings happen 2 weeks before training camp, unless the team you played for last resigns you.

If players like Forsberg have not signed, wait until the camps are over and the pre season shows how the young players are going to do, then a team with a hole will make a pitch for Forsberg...

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  21:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last thing I heard was that Forsberg still does not know if the surgery was a success. The word from the sports reporters in Edmonton is that is will more than likely be Christmas or after before he signs.......if he signs.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  16:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As is par for the media here in TO, there is interest in bringing Forsberg into the Leafs' organization. They can apparently afford Foppa, but not Peca. The Toronto Sun goes on to say, "Blah blah blah blah blah wait til next year blah blah".

The Oil WILL make the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

redwings85
Top Prospect

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  06:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He should retire.

Too many injuries.

90s Hockey was the prime when they hooked. . . THEY HOOKED! when they Held, THEY HELD!
The only time they got the gate was when the player ''fell'' on his ass.
not this cheesey stick perpendicular to the ice, lets call it!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  08:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Im guessing you had all herd about the 3 games in 4 nights tournament Forsberg was going to play in right? Well the last thing I saw was that Forseberg didnt play in that because he couldnt fing a skate to go with his foot problem. I seriously doubt this future Hall of Famer is coming back.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  08:12:58  Reply with Quote
last time i checked nobody wanted forsberg......nuf said
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page