Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 2010 Team Canada Roster Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  20:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9679

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116
Canada so deep at Center, i think the high scoring natural wingers (Carter, Nash, Iginla and Heatley) will be extremely valuable.

I could have sworn Carter was a natural centre.

Canadian centres who often play wing includes Marleau, J. Staal, Carter, Lecavalier, McDonald. (that's all I can think of at the top of my head).

Natural wingers (that I can think of): Doan, Heater, Morrow, Nash, Iggy, Smyth, Gagne.

Yah, Carter is a centre but plays wing like Marleau
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  20:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bad....heard a guy on the radio saying a winger like Carter would do well with a center like Getzlaf (if he didn't end up with Crosby?). Guess he was speculating that they'd move him to the wing, assuming he makes the team? With his 46 goals last year, he'll prob make the cut???
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2009 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My bad....heard a guy on the radio saying a winger like Carter would do well with a center like Getzlaf (if he didn't end up with Crosby?). Guess he was speculating that they'd move him to the wing, assuming he makes the team? With his 46 goals last year, he'll prob make the cut???

You would think so, but who knows. I like him to be on it but there are so many good forwards. Too bad we're not allowed to have two teams. We could capture Gold AND Silver.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  07:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redneck76ca

quote:

You would think so, but who knows. I like him to be on it but there are so many good forwards. Too bad we're not allowed to have two teams. We could capture Gold AND Silver.

That really is the amazing thing isn't it? Our B team could very well beat our A team in the final, they'd be that good! As good as the Swedes and Russians and maybe even the US will be, they'd never be able to put together a B team which would have a shot at a medal! That lack of depth could work in the favour of some teams such as the USA. It's gonna be really interesting to see if guys like Morrow make the squad as a fourth line hustle/checker type over a guy like Thornton who is aguable a top three center in the NHL. USA will have less to choose from and therefore have to use guys like Kesler in a checking role (which he's used to) and not have some of the difficult decisions Stevie Y and his colleagues will.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  11:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

That really is the amazing thing isn't it? Our B team could very well beat our A team in the final, they'd be that good! As good as the Swedes and Russians and maybe even the US will be, they'd never be able to put together a B team which would have a shot at a medal! That lack of depth could work in the favour of some teams such as the USA. It's gonna be really interesting to see if guys like Morrow make the squad as a fourth line hustle/checker type over a guy like Thornton who is aguable a top three center in the NHL. USA will have less to choose from and therefore have to use guys like Kesler in a checking role (which he's used to) and not have some of the difficult decisions Stevie Y and his colleagues will.

Now, I agree that the Canadians could put together a competative "B" team from the players invited and not invited to camp. I also agree that the American's could not field nearly as competative of "B" team. But Sweden and Russia definately could. Definately. It's a little arrogant to forget that both Sweden and Russia have their own professional hockey leagues that are very high quality. Did anyone even look at the invites from those two countries alone?? Specifically Russia, they have nearly as many players invited to camp from the KHL than the NHL. I would absoutely agree that Russia's defense on their "B" would more than likely not be as offensively gifted as a "B" team from Canada, but they would definately compete. There is a significant amount of talent.

Take nothing for granted. We can talk until we are blue in the face about the talent on Team Canada, but the level of talent on about 5-6 teams that will be in the tourney are all world in their own right. This has the potential to be the greatest collection of talent in the history of the Game. This will be a bigger test for Canada than any other Professional International Competition with maybe the exception of 72.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8241
( )

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  12:15:26  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a half decent explanation as to why Marc Savard isn't even invited to the camp??
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  13:19:17  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree. I realize that there are many great centers and for sure you can say that they rank ahead of him, but doesn't he at least deserve a chance to make the lineup. He is a top 10-15 player in the league, and has performed consistinly over the past 5 years. Let his play dictate whether he makes the team or not.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  14:18:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8241

Does anyone have a half decent explanation as to why Marc Savard isn't even invited to the camp??

First off, this is only a guess, i don't necessarily have the answer. I'm gonna guess they can only invite a certain number of guys without overcrowding it? Secondly, with an abundance of talented centers, Savard would prob have a tough time cracking the lineup at that position. Has he played wing? If so, has he had any success? If they have to start moving centers to the wing, they're not gonna want playmaking wingers, they're gonna want scorers! That's where i'd be willing to guess Carter would be a winger before Savard?
Just my thoughts, i too think Savards underrated and should have been invited over someone like McDonald?
Go to Top of Page

Guest0781
( )

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  14:25:41  Reply with Quote
Nash-Crosby-Iggy
Lecavalier-Getzlaf-Heatley
Carter-Thornton-Stall
Lucic-Richards-Perry

Green Weber
Pronger- Phaneuf
Regeher-Bow
Seebrook

brodeur luongo mason
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  15:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott Neidermayer will be on the team for sure. He might even be captain

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  15:26:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Scott Neidermayer will be on the team for sure. He might even be captain

I think that he is a lock. I'd like him to be Captain as well but Iggy might get it.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  18:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Now, I agree that the Canadians could put together a competative "B" team from the players invited and not invited to camp. I also agree that the American's could not field nearly as competative of "B" team. But Sweden and Russia definately could. Definately. It's a little arrogant to forget that both Sweden and Russia have their own professional hockey leagues that are very high quality. Did anyone even look at the invites from those two countries alone?? Specifically Russia, they have nearly as many players invited to camp from the KHL than the NHL. I would absoutely agree that Russia's defense on their "B" would more than likely not be as offensively gifted as a "B" team from Canada, but they would definately compete. There is a significant amount of talent.

Take nothing for granted. We can talk until we are blue in the face about the talent on Team Canada, but the level of talent on about 5-6 teams that will be in the tourney are all world in their own right. This has the potential to be the greatest collection of talent in the history of the Game. This will be a bigger test for Canada than any other Professional International Competition with maybe the exception of 72.

Beans, i just looked up the invitees from Team Sweden. Here's what i found... They began by inviting 34 guys to their camp. All 34 are NHLers. Three weeks later, they invited 20 more guys, 15 from Sweden's Elitserien (Swedish Elite League?) and the other 5 from the KHL. The article i read says 3 of the guys are goaltenders Mikael Tellqvist and Stefan Liv and defenseman Niclas Havelid. These 3 were on their gold medal team in Torino. There are 4 others who are recent draft picks of various NHL clubs, one of whom was 4th in the Elitserien in scoring last year? He would be Oiler prospect, Linus Omark? Heard of him? I hadn't, so i looked him up. In the one magazine i checked, he wasn't ranked as a top Oiler prospect, in the other, he was their 9th ranked guy? Two other Dmen listed are Magnus Ragnarsson and d*** Tarnstrom.

From what i see, Sweden would have a very difficult time putting together a second squad. I haven't and won't look up the Russians at this point. I still think Canada would have the best shot at a second team winning a medal.

Canada is in tough as they always are. As much as we expect gold, let's face it, they've only medalled once since the NHLers have been permitted to play. Yes, it was gold, but it's the lone medal for a country with such high expectations.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  20:20:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, if they name Pronger captain I am cheering for the American squad.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  20:44:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, let me clarify, a Canada B team would be the best B team of any other nation. I agree with that. But what I don't agree with is a) Canada's B team would be a lock for the silver medal. Honestly, Canada's A team is not a lock for a Medal!! Russian and Sweden are that friggin good and Finland, the US, and the Czech's will definately compete. And B) it's short sighted and arrogant for us to thing that the other hockey nations in the world do not have enough players to compete(not win, but compete) on the global stage.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  21:55:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whoa, let me clarify, a Canada B team would be the best B team of any other nation. I agree with that. But what I don't agree with is a) Canada's B team would be a lock for the silver medal. Honestly, Canada's A team is not a lock for a Medal!! Russian and Sweden are that friggin good and Finland, the US, and the Czech's will definately compete. And B) it's short sighted and arrogant for us to thing that the other hockey nations in the world do not have enough players to compete(not win, but compete) on the global stage.

I don't think that anyone said that a B team would be a lock for the Gold medal game. I was just saying that we COULD field two top tier teams and it WOULD be crazy to get a Silver in addition to the Gold. Nagano and Torino showed me that Canadian hockey has its silver bullet and garlic, and that there atleast 5 other teams that could win on any given night. My point was if Canada could field two teams they both would be heavily favored to medal, even if all the other nations were allowed to field two teams as well. At no point has anyone been arrogant about this, its just true that the depth of Canadian hockey is greater than rival nations.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2009 :  23:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't think that anyone said that a B team would be a lock for the Gold medal game. I was just saying that we COULD field two top tier teams and it WOULD be crazy to get a Silver in addition to the Gold. Nagano and Torino showed me that Canadian hockey has its silver bullet and garlic, and that there atleast 5 other teams that could win on any given night. My point was if Canada could field two teams they both would be heavily favored to medal, even if all the other nations were allowed to field two teams as well. At no point has anyone been arrogant about this, its just true that the depth of Canadian hockey is greater than rival nations.

Ah yes, I do agree that Canada has the most depth. However, to me anyway, to consider a Canada B team would be anywhere near favored over an A team from Russian, Sweden, Finland, the Czech Republic and the US is a little but arrogant.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  00:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans, i def wasn't saying that Canada WOULD take two medals, be it gold/silver or gold/bronze or whatever. I did say our B team COULD beat the A team, that's all. With chemistry being such a big deal in a short tourney where teams are together for only 2 weeks, it's entirely possible that the B team could medal and the A team not! Anything can happen.

IMO however, there's not much of a chance that ANY other nation's B team could/would medal. It's not impossible, but it'd be highly unlikely. And, i don't think our B team would be favoured over the A teams from other nations, that's not what i was saying. Having said that, i don't think they'd be huge underdogs either which is why i think they could medal.

I don't consider anything i said to be arrogant. I think many people of other nationalities would agree.....
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  07:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canadas "A" Team

Nash - Crosby - Iginla
Heatley - Getzlaf - E. Staal
Carter - Lecavalier - Gagne
Lucic - Richards - Doan
Towes

Niedermater - Pronger
Weber - Green
Regher - Bouwmeester
Beauchimen

Luongo
Brodeur
Ward

Canadas "B" Team

St.Louis - Thornton - Perry
Marleau - Spezza - Stamkos
Sharp - Savard - MacDonald
Morrow - J.Staal - Smyth
Tavares

Burns - Phaneuf
Boyle - Doughty
M.Staal - Seabrook
Keith

Fleury
S.Mason
C.Mason

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 08/27/2009 07:17:15
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  08:43:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats a Niedermater? LOL

Team A Kicks Team B by a small margin. I like your team A but I would swap Weber for Boyle and Beauchimin (your spelling) for Keith.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  09:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my take

Nash, Crosby(A), Iginla(C)
Getzlaf, Thornton, Heatly
Savard, Lecavalier, E.Staal
Lucic, M.Richards, Toews

Spare : Doan, St-Louis, Smyth

Defense

Niedermayer(A), Green
Weber, Phaneuf
Pronger, Bouwmeester

Spare : Keith, Regehr

Goaltender

Brodeur, Luongo

Spare : Fleury

This is a tough lineup to make, I wouldn't like to be the guy who cuts players from the roster. We could easily have 3 teams who could compete.

Edited by - Leafs81 on 08/27/2009 09:18:03
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  10:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting clip on Sportsnet Connected this morning where Jarome Iginla told reporters that players could and would be expected to adapt their games to play different roles given the depth of talent. That's all good and fine if we're talking ice time. But Iginla was talking about a top three forward (in NHL terms) being asked to play as a defensive forward and shut down on the fourth unit. Now I'm sitting there asking myself, why would you do that?

Team Canada has a mandate to pick the best players available. Sure, Jarome Iginla is an INCREDIBLE player. But if he isn't going to be relied on to get on the scoreboard the way Heatley, Nash, Getzlaf, Crosby, etc. are, are you really going to put him on the fourth line? In fairness, Iggy will more than likely fit in the top six. But should ANYONE be put on the team if they're not playing their game? My answer is no and here's why.

Imagine you're Yzerman and are pulling your hair deciding between Jonathan Toews or Jordan Staal for the last roster spot. If you're an NHL GM, it's obvious you pick Toews. He's the better player. But for this tournament, he isn't. Given that fourth liners are there to shut down, Jordan Staal is the BETTER PLAYER. Sure, Toews is much more likely to score. But that's COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT because he isn't being picked for that. You need a fourth line in hockey, and someone needs to fill that role. It's not an All-Star team, it's an Olympic team. There's a difference.

I really hope the Team Canada brass pick guys that are naturals at their positions and don't just stack the roster with a bunch of names. If a 40 goal scorer doesn't fit into your top 6, or even 9, do not put him on the team. End of story.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  11:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

Whats a Niedermater? LOL

Team A Kicks Team B by a small margin. I like your team A but I would swap Weber for Boyle and Beauchimin (your spelling) for Keith.

Niedermater is like the terminator, except on defence.

I spelt "Beauchimin" Beauchimen... check it again. Not that it matters....

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  11:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the "Niedermater is like the terminator, except on defence". It's what I thought you meant I just wanted conformation.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  14:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Interesting clip on Sportsnet Connected this morning where Jarome Iginla told reporters that players could and would be expected to adapt their games to play different roles given the depth of talent. That's all good and fine if we're talking ice time. But Iginla was talking about a top three forward (in NHL terms) being asked to play as a defensive forward and shut down on the fourth unit. Now I'm sitting there asking myself, why would you do that?

Team Canada has a mandate to pick the best players available. Sure, Jarome Iginla is an INCREDIBLE player. But if he isn't going to be relied on to get on the scoreboard the way Heatley, Nash, Getzlaf, Crosby, etc. are, are you really going to put him on the fourth line? In fairness, Iggy will more than likely fit in the top six. But should ANYONE be put on the team if they're not playing their game? My answer is no and here's why.

Imagine you're Yzerman and are pulling your hair deciding between Jonathan Toews or Jordan Staal for the last roster spot. If you're an NHL GM, it's obvious you pick Toews. He's the better player. But for this tournament, he isn't. Given that fourth liners are there to shut down, Jordan Staal is the BETTER PLAYER. Sure, Toews is much more likely to score. But that's COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT because he isn't being picked for that. You need a fourth line in hockey, and someone needs to fill that role. It's not an All-Star team, it's an Olympic team. There's a difference.

I really hope the Team Canada brass pick guys that are naturals at their positions and don't just stack the roster with a bunch of names. If a 40 goal scorer doesn't fit into your top 6, or even 9, do not put him on the team. End of story.

I think this might be a little misinterpreted. I mean of course Iginla's statements are true, but it goes without saying. When you are going to have literally every forward on the Olympic Roster as their NHL's teams #1 line players, of course some players will have to have differing roles.

And I think you are nuts to stay that Toews would be picked over Jordan Staal by most any GM. Give Staal a little bit of credit. I mean, he would be a #1 centre on at least 15 other teams in the NHL. The reason he's the 3rd line centre in Pitt is that they literally have the best and second best offensive centres playing in the NHL today ahead of him.

I would take Jordan Staal on my team over Toews in any situations, NHL or Olympic. You can't teach the skills and size that Staal has.
Go to Top of Page

HabsFan46
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  16:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team Canada 2010 -Revised-

Forwards

L1: Rick Nash - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla
L2: Dany Heatley - Vincent Lecavailier - Martin St. Louis
L3: Simon Gagne - Joe Thornton - Jeff Carter
L4: Milan Lucic - Jonathan Toews - Eric Staal
Ex: Marc Savard - Jordan Staal - Mike Richards

Defense

L1: Scott Niedermayer - Shea Weber
L2: Dion Phaneuf - Mike Green
L3: Jay Bouwmeester - Chris Pronger
Ex: Dan Boyle - Duncan Keith

Goalies

G1: Roberto Luongo
G2: Martin Brodeur
Ex: Steve Mason

Captian = Scott Neidermayer
Alternate = Jarome Iginla
Alternate = Chris Pronger
Alternate = Martin St. Louis
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  17:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

quote:

Whats a Niedermater? LOL

Niedermater is like the terminator, except on defence.

I spelt "Beauchimin" Beauchimen... check it again. Not that it matters....

It's actually Beauchemin

But I'm sure you cut "Niedermater" and you can see steel inside his arm.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0916
( )

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  19:10:31  Reply with Quote
I see there's a number of people with Gagne on their team. Don't get me wrong, I like Gagne, I just don't see him on this team. He's too injury prone and really has only been a pt/gm player once. He can put pucks in the net but so can every other player on the roster.

Is this indicative of the lack of wingers Canada has invited? or is this guy really worth having on the team more than a Richards, Getzlaf, Thornton, Staal, Carter, Lecavalier or even a Spezza or Savard who wasn't invited.... That is if you don't want to many centers, not to mention the possibility of having role players like the Lucic's, Smyth's and Cleary's of the camp (and Gagne is not a checking line winger)
Go to Top of Page

Guest0827
( )

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  20:24:28  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HabsFan46
Forwards

Wow. There are so many things wrong with this roster. Here is the most obvious: I can't believe you've left Getzlaf completely off the team, not even as an extra. Unless you are predicting he is going to be hurt and will not make the team.

Toews, Lucic and Gagne over the likes of M. Richards, Doan and Morrow. Ouch! At least your Defence and Goalies are not completely ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2009 :  22:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope he just missed Getzlaf somehow by accident, although i don't know how you can miss a guy who is virtually a lock on the team?
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  06:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the "Niedermater is like the terminator, except on defence". It's what I thought you meant I just wanted conformation.

lol, i actually just hit "t" instead of "y" on my keyboard. The terminator reference is just a cover up haha.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8241
( )

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  08:41:04  Reply with Quote
Forwards

L3: Eric Staal - Joe Thornton - Jeff Carter
L4: Milan Lucic - Ryan Getzlaf - Eric Staal
Ex: Shane Doan, Jordan Staal, Mike Richards

Defense

L1: Scott Niedermayer - Shea Weber
L2: Dion Phaneuf - Mike Green
L3: Jay Bouwmeester - Chris Pronger
Ex: Dan Boyle, Duncan Keith

Goalies

G1: Roberto Luongo
G2: Martin Brodeur
Ex: Marc-Andre Fleury

(C) - Jerome Iginla
(A) - Sidney Crosby
(A) - Scott Neidermayer
(A) - Shane Doan
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  08:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 8241..... you have E. Staal double shifting? Perhaps you meant Jordan on the 4th line? Not a bad lineup but i think Getzlaf will likely be the #2 center and i can't see Mike Richards not being on one of the lines? I'm surprised how many have Lucic making this team. I love the kid, but up against guys like Morrow and Doan etc for the checking line of 4th line, he's in tough? Never know, so tough to decide....
Go to Top of Page

Guest0905
( )

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  09:16:10  Reply with Quote
to guest 8241, exchange Defense line 2 for Ex
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  10:35:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
forwards: Getzlaf, Crosby, heatley, Thortnon, Lecavlier, Nash, Staal,
St. Louis,Iginla,M. Richards,Lucic,Gagne

Defence: Pronger,Niedermayer,Phaneuf,Doughty,Jovanoski,Weber

Goalies: Loungo,Mason,Fleury

I know people may get mad i didnt include Brodeur he is a great goalie but he wasnt as good as either of these goalies.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2009 :  14:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 50brent

forwards: Getzlaf, Crosby, heatley, Thortnon, Lecavlier, Nash, Staal,
St. Louis,Iginla,M. Richards,Lucic,Gagne

Defence: Pronger,Niedermayer,Phaneuf,Doughty,Jovanoski,Weber

Goalies: Loungo,Mason,Fleury

I know people may get mad i didnt include Brodeur he is a great goalie but he wasnt as good as either of these goalies.

Brodeur was injured most of last season. If healthy he is on this team. Even if he wasn't on the team, no way does Mason make it over Ward. No way Jovo or Doughty make the team either, Jovo wasn't even invited to camp and he is no longer the player he was before.

I don't get why so many people are putting Lucic on this team. He is a great power forward but there are so many other players that are better fits for Team Canada. Maybe in 2014, but not Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

HabsFan46
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  16:06:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forwards

Wow. There are so many things wrong with this roster. Here is the most obvious: I can't believe you've left Getzlaf completely off the team, not even as an extra. Unless you are predicting he is going to be hurt and will not make the team.

Toews, Lucic and Gagne over the likes of M. Richards, Doan and Morrow. Ouch! At least your Defence and Goalies are not completely ridiculous.

Well the reason why I didn't put getzlaf on the team is because at the time I posted this team getzlaf was injured and i wasn't sure if he was going to make the team. Also i see nothing wrong with putting toews lucic and gagne on the team over doan and morrow. M. Richards probably has a good shot to make the team but i just couldnt find the right spot for him. As for my defense and goalies i think theyre pretty solid and i fail to see how there could be such a better line up out there.
Go to Top of Page

HabsFan46
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  16:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to guest0827 you should probably post your own team before you critque others.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7141
( )

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  19:17:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HabsFan46

to guest0827 you should probably post your own team before you critque others.

Sure, see page 7 as guest 9692.

I still have 3 forward spots open for the "4th line". Also, I would insert Niedemeyer since he is playing this season over Boyle.

Right now the 4th line or some would prefer to call it line 1d, would be Thornton, Carter and probably Toews or St-Louis (can't decide if I want natural winger or youth and size).

This 4th line may change but my first 3 are locks.

It doesn't matter who the 3rd goalie is. Brodeur and Luongo are locks and the only time the 3rd goalie is going to see rubber is in bed or at practice.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2009 :  07:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some adjustments to my original roster, which was this:
quote:
forwards
Nash Crosby Iginla
Spezza Lecavalier Heatley
Smyth Thornton Staal
Morrow Doan Getzlaf

Reserves - St. Louis (for Spezza), Briere, Savard

defence
Pronger Redden
Phaneuf Regher
Bouwmeester Green

Reserves - Phillips, Burns, Keith

goalies
Luongo
reserves - Turco, Brodeur

My comments:
Sakic and Niedermayer will be retired, Gagne will have lingering injury problems, as will Jovocop I think (he's always injured anyways, and his value has diminished in my mind). I think Smyth will rebound with a stronger year, and I think Morrow will continue to play himself on the team, after a great run in this year's playoffs.

Mike Green has blossomed, and will have another great year to force his way on the team. Phillips and Burns could easily be starting, depending on play, match-ups and coaching style. In goal, Turco's star is rising, I see him as a solid back-up, with Brodeur having to swallow pride as the third man in. He may not accept on those terms; so it could be Giguere then. Darkhorse could be Fleury, watch for it!

Well, the two things that stick out for me is Niedermayer just will not retire, so he is going to be on the team. And, Morrow had a knee injury last season, which basically takes him out of the running, one would think, with the stiff competition. A fair amount of changes actually, here goes:

My revised Olympic lineup for Team Canada:
FORWARDS
Nash Crosby Iginla
Heatley Thornton Carter
Richards Getzlaf Perry
Lecavalier Staal St.Louis

Reserves - Doan, Smyth, Gagne
(Things could get switched around, as either Staal or Lecavalier will have to switch from center to wing. Heatley I put with Thornton seeing as how they will be playing together now, and I put in Perry besides Getzlaf for obvious reasons. I took off Spezza - not invited, Morrow, and Doan from the starting line-up, but I think they keep Doan as a reserve, he's just so versatile and such a gamer. Smyth and Gagne make the back-ups because of their past resume and experience, all the backups can score)

DEFENCE
Pronger Niedermayer
Green Bouwmeester
Burns Weber

Reserves: Regher, Boyle
(This is the toughest position to pick for . . . really, there could be another 5 names here to make it easier on me! But Pronger/Nieds is a foregone conclusion, and Green and Weber are there for sure, no way either is left off - so I put two of the best defensive guys besides them, and a guy in Bouwmeester who is also an offensive threat as well. Burns I put slightly ahead of Regher, but this could easily switch depending on Brent's recovery from injury. Like I said, it was tough to keep Phaneuf, Keith and Seabrook off the squad, and I certainly wouldn't argue about any of those guys being included instead, although not at the expense of the top 4. And, I have absolutely no idea why I had Redden and Phillips on before, but they obviously aren't going to be there)

GOALIES:
Brodeur
Luongo
Fleury

(Firstly, I just have to admit that Brodeur will have to get knocked off his pedestal through injury or just plain poor play, no matter how great Luongo plays. And for the third goalie, I have to agree with Yzerman in saying I was very impressed with Fleury during the playoffs, he won game 6 and 7 IMHO for the Pens, and he has earned his spot - no offense to Ward or Mason)

Is that better?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Edited by - n/a on 09/14/2009 07:14:36
Go to Top of Page

HabsFan46
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  13:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9692

There are 3 line combos that make so much sense, I am guessing they are a lock.

The first and most obvious is the Getzlaf, Heatley and Nash. Big bodies fast and will hurt you in every possible way.

2nd line if you can call it that, is Cros, Iggy and Vinny. I mean how can you not like this line. Depending how Vinny is playing, you can place E. Staal in his place and not lose too much.

The 3rd line (again if you can call it that), is so under rated the it sickens me that so few have mentioned it. M. Richards, Doan and Morrow is the best possible shut down line you can gather for Canada. Go ahead try to pick a better shut down line. This is the line that, if they play well, will beat the opposition.

That leaves a whole slew of players that will make up the 4th line and the reserve squad. I will say that the above 9 players are a lock and the lines set, unless an injury takes them out or they are playing well below par. Depending on how the season goes, everyone else plays to get onto the 4th line or the taxi squad.

On defense, I love the Pronger-Nieds combo but it all depends on Nieds and his Farvrian summer. Let's assume he follows Farvre and calls it quits for good then:

Prongs - Weber (shut down 1)
Regher - Keith (really shut down 2)
Bouwmeester - Boyle (free flow, and I have no problems switching one of these guys for really shut down pair to balance it out)

With Green as the 7th mainly for powerplay purposes.

why wouldnt phaneuf make the team?!?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page