Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Official Olympic Hockey Predicitions Thread Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dallasj
Top Prospect

Canada
29 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  19:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is everybody's chance to prove just how much smarter they are than everybody else. Make your predictions gold, silver, and bronze; plus any other random predicitions you would like.

Gold - Czech Republic
Silver - Canada
Bronze - Russia

Much like '98, whover ends up playing goal for the Czech's (Hasek or Vokoun) will stand on their heads and break the hearts of every other nation. Plus their powerplay will be strongest...

...which brings me to the fact that I think the reffing will be horrible and not what it is like in the NHL, even worst then the beginning of the year during the major crackdown. The IIHF has stated that it wants games reffed like in the NHL, but is only using two NHL referees at most. A lot of the guys working the games aren't used to calling games that way and will be very whistle happy which could make for a few parades to the box. Which means that Todd Bertuzzi will have more penalties than points in the tournament, but that would probably happen anyway.

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  20:10:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm torn between probability and patriotism. I was somewhat disappointed with some Canadian selections and I will doubt them until I am proven wrong by their performances. I seriously cannot, without bias, predict Canada's performance. It seems as though most Canadians on the team have been very inconsistent this year, which makes it even harder.

When push comes to shove, I cannot unlock myself from my patriotism...

Gold - Canada
Silver - Czechs
Bronze - Russia
4th - Slovaks

Random prediction: Ovechkin is leading goal scorer, Thornton leader in points and assists.
Go to Top of Page

nazzy_19
Top Prospect

Canada
57 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  23:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just remembering back to the '02 games when Canada was dropped by Sweden 5-2. In Olympic men's hockey there doesn't seem to really be an overwhelming favorite, at least not as much as there is with the World Cup or the Juniors. I honestly think that goaltending is going to bring teams very deep into this tournament, but I think heart is going to win this one.

Gold: Canadians
Silver: Czechs
Bronze: Russians
4th: Swedes

Sorry, but I just can't bring myself to bet against the Canadians. Look for Ryan Smyth and Joe Thornton to have an amazing Olympics, and Martin Brodeur to shrug off the sub-par season he's had so far with the Devils. He's got Blake and Pronger in front of him now, which should allow him to regain the form he had with Neidermeyer and Stevens manning the D.
Go to Top of Page

NuckH8R
Top Prospect

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  09:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow way to go out on a limb guys. Canada and Czechs - just like every other supposed expert is saying. Let's not forget who Canada had to beat to get that Gold in '02. Sure the US has gone with a new look team but these guys could do some damage.

Gold - Canada
Silver - USA
Bronze - Sweden
Fourth - Czech Rep.

Go to Top of Page

Ryan Harper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2006 :  09:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada - Gold
Sweden - Silver