Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Cris huet for a 2nd round pick?? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  11:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Super Sakic: I love the cut of your jib. I like someone that can intelligently throw the crap right back at me. It is fun that way. Old School, I guess I am. I just can't see why a person living in or around the GTA could possibly like the Montreal team. My nephew is a big Oiler's fan for instance and he has never been farther west than the Ontario border. You see, I can literally follow my team on an almost hour to hour basis. The media is all over the Leafs in this area, radio shows, newspapers, tv stations, etc etc. They are an everyday happening for a fan if you choose them to be and for me I feel very fortunate to be the Leaf fanatic that I am, even though the rewards have been very slim the last few years. You may not know this but under Pat Quinn the Maples had more points than any other team in the league during his tenure. I hate to diagree with you but who on the Montreal team can tie up Mats Sundin's skate laces in recent years....NOOOOOOOOBODY!!!!! Since 89-90 Montreal has won one cup and they stole that one which is only one cup more than the Mighty Maples. The Leafs have been bad lately as we try to shake off the Ferguson era and the new NHL era but we are in the process of fixing it and fix it we will. You can take that to the bank.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  07:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Antroman[/i]
[br]Hey Super Sakic: I love the cut of your jib. I like someone that can intelligently throw the crap right back at me. It is fun that way. Old School, I guess I am. I just can't see why a person living in or around the GTA could possibly like the Montreal team. My nephew is a big Oiler's fan for instance and he has never been farther west than the Ontario border. You see, I can literally follow my team on an almost hour to hour basis. The media is all over the Leafs in this area, radio shows, newspapers, tv stations, etc etc. They are an everyday happening for a fan if you choose them to be and for me I feel very fortunate to be the Leaf fanatic that I am, even though the rewards have been very slim the last few years. You may not know this but under Pat Quinn the Maples had more points than any other team in the league during his tenure. I hate to diagree with you but who on the Montreal team can tie up Mats Sundin's skate laces in recent years....NOOOOOOOOBODY!!!!! Since 89-90 Montreal has won one cup and they stole that one which is only one cup more than the Mighty Maples. The Leafs have been bad lately as we try to shake off the Ferguson era and the new NHL era but we are in the process of fixing it and fix it we will. You can take that to the bank.

Hey Antro: I enjoy going back and forth with a Leafs fans. But as for comparing Sundin with anyone on Montreal in recent years, I can name a player whom Sundin should be tying the laces of....Jose Theodore! When he won the Hart trophy he was the best. I know he sucks now and isn't even a Hab but still worth mentioning . That also goes to show you that Montreal has a system in which every player contributes instead of just one guy doing all of the scoring.

But as to the point of the Maples having only one less cup than Montreal? Are you talking about only in the past decade, or overall?

And whether or not the leafs can be fixed or not will be judged based on if they can win the cup or not. It has been toooo long and the natives are restless. But I think I can say this with confidence: The Habs will win the cup before the Leafs.....again!
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2008 :  15:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Super - Read the post again. I said that Mtl has won only one more cup than The Maples since 89-90 and they stole that one. If you are interested in a little Hab history I can honestly tell you that some of those Cups during the war years that the Habs won were the direct result of the Quebec government hiding the Montreal players from conscription into the forces by deeming them unfit for service in one regard or another. It was a joke. While the other team's players were off fighting in the second great war Montreal was sitting pretty at home winning hockey games. Secondly, when expansion came in after the '67 season, Sam Pollock was trading fading stars like Backstrom and d***ie Moore to the uneducated and cash strapped U.S. teams for their high draft picks. It was literally highway robbery as the selfish little deviant set hockey in the new NHL markets back on their heels and almost ruined the thoughts of selling the game in the U.S. The harm that he caused has had a negative effect on the growth of the game south of the border that is still being felt today. These picks that were stolen from those weak sisters became the backbone of those great Hab teams in the seventies. I am not at all sure what you Habbers are going to think about this but both of these reasons have solidified my hatred for this most dispicable of all sports teams bar none.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  07:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antro -
I just want to say: wow!
Your knowledge of hockey history is the tops. There's no way that I could compete with you there. I'm glad there are fellows like you on this board to offer insight and impart knowledge to those of younger generations.

As for the Habs deeming some of the players as unfit to fight in the war so that they could win more cups, I can understand your dislike of the organization. However, this also goes to show the nature of the two teams (Habs and Leafs). You have on the one hand (the Leafs) who don't really do much to improve their team, and then you have the Habs who take the attitude that you have to win at all costs. And I think that this attitude has carried on over the years. With that said, don't you think that the Leafs could use a little of that attitude?

And how can you say that the growth of the US teams has suffered? They have been winning all the cups as of late. Montreal being the last Canadian team to win it....And I don't know that you can say that they "stole" that one. That team just happened to have all of the right ingredients. Then they traded away key players that they couldn't do it again. Had they kept the same team, it would have been a repeat in my opinion.

Edited by - SuperSakic on 03/11/2008 07:39:04
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  09:34:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Super, Your impression of the Habs and the Leafs are very interesting to say the least. It shows me how differently we both look at the two teams. The Leafs try to improve the team just as much as the Habs but unfortunately things do not always work out for my team. I think you are a little over the top because the Habs are doing really well this year but you have simply brushed aside the fact that Toronto ended their season last year. I know their history of winning past Stanley Cups has caused a false euphoria for you but Montreal has not done much since they stole that cup in 1993. I think I can safely put our won lost record since that time as being better than Montreal's? I am not much of a stats man but maybe Alex can figure this one out. The reason I say they stole that cup in 1993 was because by the time Gretzky's Kings had finally dispensed of the Leafs in a tough seven game series they had nothing left in the tank for the final against the Habs. They were simply tired and broken and the Habs had an easy time of it. By the way, the Leafs beat the Habs all three times that they met that season and it has been reported that Gretzky had his best ever series of his career against the Maples and without that heroic effort it would have been a different story. I don't want to make excuses for the Leafs track record lately but I have to say that the new NHL has had a real adverse effect on our club and the Ferguson era has hurt almost as much but the rebuilding is started and I think in a couple of years you will see a marked improvement in our club. To sum it up I hope for you the Habs do well but I hope for me they do not.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2008 :  11:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair enough Antro. Good luck with the Leafs. I hope they actually do well next year because the rivalry is better when both opponents are doing well (or the same at the very least )
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  07:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
back to the first posts when huet left.

they seemed to do a lot better without him there, and not only thanks to the promising price, but i think they showed that it doesn't matter who they lose, the habs are going to compete regardless of their roster and all other teams better keep that in mind.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4381
( )

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  11:52:41  Reply with Quote
that trade doesn't look so bad now, does it?

Huet will be burning the bench in chicago, what a wasted 5 million!
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  04:24:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Hawks are just showcasing Khabibulin for a trade. I hope so anyway, 'cause i've got Cristobal in my pool.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8020
( )

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  05:59:05  Reply with Quote
anyone who quits cheering for a team because they traded a player was never really a fan to begin with, and i guess the leafs will take fans they will take anything they can get because they are losers,
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page