Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 David Letterman Top 10 Hockey Style Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  11:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Want to throw this out before the window of opportunity closes, though in reality I doubt it ever will on the Maple Leafs.

Top 10 Moves the Leafs Should Make if They Want to Find Success

10 Put their faith in Raycroft, not Toskala

9 Ban the media for a year. At the very least, ban the players from watching what the media says about their team. It only serves to lower their morale

8 Impose a self-proclaimed salary cap on themselves lower than that of the NHL to stop them from signing big free agents and force them to actually draft a winning team, not buy it

7 Bring back Pat (Quinn or Burns)

6 Dump Blake, Tucker and Kubina ASAP

5 Tell Peddie and the Tachers Union to take a hike

4 Stop putting it in their minds that they suck when they aren’t half as bad as most of us make them out to be

3 Keep Sundin until he retires, not insult him with some old wrinkly interim G.M. who wants to save his skin by getting rid of the heart and soul of the organization

2 Bring back Gary Roberts and make a Gordie Howe out of him by signing him till he’s 50

1 Let Tanenbaum himself be the GM, he’s the only man with brains in the organization

-The New Kid on the Block
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  12:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10 . Go with Toskala, sign an older guy for a back up that can mentor him, he isn't all that old you know .
9. Time to ship off Sundin, you need a facelift.
8. Fire your whole scouting staff.
7. Dump Colaiacovo, played about 10 games in the past 8 years, was a nice draft pick... injury prone.
6. Trade Antropov for a solid Forward and a draft pick, while his value is still a little valuable.
5. Sign one big, stay-at-home defensemen, with a good +/- record and Forward.
4. Tucker for a bag a pucks.
3. Get Cliff Fletcher out of their, and hire someone.
2. Get some luck
1. Draft some damn players.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  11:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

10 . Go with Toskala, sign an older guy for a back up that can mentor him, he isn't all that old you know .
9. Time to ship off Sundin, you need a facelift.
8. Fire your whole scouting staff.
7. Dump Colaiacovo, played about 10 games in the past 8 years, was a nice draft pick... injury prone.
6. Trade Antropov for a solid Forward and a draft pick, while his value is still a little valuable.
5. Sign one big, stay-at-home defensemen, with a good +/- record and Forward.
4. Tucker for a bag a pucks.
3. Get Cliff Fletcher out of their, and hire someone.
2. Get some luck
1. Draft some damn players, get some youth, when was the last time we seen a young successful Leafs team.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  01:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top Ten Little Known Facts About the Stanley Cup...

10) The art on the bowl includes the image of an eagle snatching a baby from it's crib.

9) The document that allows the NHL sole custody of the cup includes the line "so long as the league continues to be the world's leading professional league as determined by it's playing calibre".

8) There are actually 3 Stanley Cups...the original retired bowl (and various rings), the 'Presentation Cup' which is essentially the real cup now, and the 'Replica' cup that stands in place of the Presentation Cup at the Hall of Fame - just so that there isn't an empty space while the other is on tour, or at a championship game.

7) A portion of the cup is missing, believed to have been melted down by Montreal exec's and used in the making of a special award that was given to Toe Blake back in 1972. The missing piece that was melted down? The 1928-29 Boston Bruins ring from the 'stove-pipe' version of the cup !

6)The greatest span of time between a person's first and last appearance on the cup is a whopping 53 years! Marcel Pronovost first appeared as a player in '49-'50, and last appeared as a scout in '02-'03.

5)The first team to ever win the cup - the Montreal Hockey Club (MHC) refused to accept it until they were eventually plied with gifts from their more famous parent organization - the Montreal Amateur Athletic Association (Montreal AAA).

4) The 1901 cup champ Winnipeg Victorias were forced to celebrate their win without the cup because the official taking care of it could not be found.

3) When Ottawa Silver Seven captain Harvey Pulford drop-kicked the cup onto the frozen Rideau Canal in the spring of 1905, teammate Harry Smith was the man who retrieved it. It stayed at his house for a full year - until the 1906 champion Montreal Wanderers had to come for it!

2)The shortest cup reign was 63 days by the Kenora Thistles. They defeated the Wanderers in a challenge in January of 1907, only to lose it back to them in a challenge in March.

And the Number One little known Stanley Cup fact.....

1) It's made of cream cheese!!

(sources for this post include: "Total Hockey: Second Edition", "Lord Stanley's Cup", "Total Stanley Cup", "Quest for the Cup" and "Things to do with Cream Cheese")
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2008 :  07:46:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top 10 Unrestricted Free-Agents Your Team Should Sign

Montreal Canadiens

10) Jason Smith - blocks shot, makes big hits

9) Jaromir Jagr - able to score pretty consistently

8) Marian Hossa - speedy, probably a good match for Koivu

7) Ryan Malone - think Jason Smith on forward

6) Cory Stillman - knows how to win

5) Kristian Huselius - good player

4) Brian Rolston - veteran leadership, able to get some points

3) Brian Campbell - great puck mover, plays exactly the way Montreal teams play

2) Mats Sundin - leader, strong as an ox, hungry for a championship

1) (re-sign) Mark Streit - promising future, he deserves to be resigned and not tested in free agent waters

-The New Kid on the Block
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  09:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, I stopped this for a while because there weren't many active members, but I figured it's about time to get it up and running again so here we go:

Top 10 Stanley Cup Contenders 2008/09

1) Detroit
2) Dallas
3) Calgary
4) Anaheim
5) Pittsburgh
6) Philadelphia
7) San Jose
8) Montreal
9) Carolina
10) Ottawa

Proudly Celebrating Over 50 Blogs and Counting
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  16:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In honour of the NHL selecting its location for the 2009 Winter Classic:

Top 10 Places for the 2010 Winter Classic

10) Salt Lake City, Utah

9) TSN Studios

8) Montreal Forum

7) Parliament Hill

6) CNE

5) Atop a cruise ship

4) Vancouver – hey, if they’re prepared to host the world for a few weeks they can host us for a day!

3) West Edmonton Mall (Ice Palace)

2) Staal backyard

1) Kandahar

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  04:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In honour of the many places free agents have gone this season, including a new KHL:

Top Ten Places You'd Want to Play Pro Hockey

10) Swedish Elite - nice country, friendly people, good players. Now if only I could say 'Hey Babe' in Swedish...

9) Buffalo Sabres - NorthEast division, and the shopping is great!

8) New York Rangers - Original Six Team, and living life in the Big Apples every day!

7) Calgary Flames - The fans are nuts and it's a great atmosphere!

6) Edmonton Oilers - Ditto.

5) HC Davos - I'm a Swiss citizen and they're the best team in the Swiss league. And a pretty nice city, too!

4) Boston Bruins - Original Six Team, highest concentration of universities or colleges in North America I believe. It's a beautiful city with friendly people.

3) Ottawa Senators - Nation's Capital, nice city, NorthEast division, right near Parliament unless I ever want to go down Dryden's path...!

2) Toronto Maple Leafs - Original Six Team, playing in my home town. And no pressure to play well whatsoever!

1) Montreal Canadiens - you know why

Edited by - Alex on 07/17/2008 04:38:46
Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  05:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex
10) Swedish Elite - nice country, friendly people, good players. Now if only I could say 'Hey Babe' in Swedish...

I promise that you will be very popular if you say this (whistles in an innocent way ): Hej Snygging!

Edited by - I´m also Cånädiön on 07/17/2008 08:43:07
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  17:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In honour of Toews being named third youngest captain in NHL history:

Top Ten Active Natural Choices for NHL Captains
(Just has to be active. Could be a has-been captain or an up-and-coming one.)

10) Mike Modano
9) Eric Staal
8) Shane Doan
7) Mats Sundin
6) Alexander Ovechkin
5) Mike Richards
4) Nicklas Lidstrom
3) Sidney Crosby
2) Jarome Iginla
1) Joe Sakic

Edited by - Alex on 07/21/2008 17:13:33
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  04:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to all the talk circiling the fradulent would-be owner of the Nashville Predators:

Top 10 NHL markets that should be considered before Nashville

Miami
Indianapolis
Syracuse
Baltimore
Regina
P.E.I
Halifax
Brampton
Winnipeg
Quebec

Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  08:23:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Top 10 NHL markets that should be considered before Nashville

Good idea alex, heres my take... (meaning I used wikipedia to look up american city populations )

The first two have already been considered, look for Kansas City to be one of the next teams and so far Toronto doesn't want to allow another team nearby for a couple more years

1. Waterloo (with Toronto's permission)
2. Kansas City

3. Indianapolis
4. Quebec City
5. San Antonio/Houston/Austin
6. Winnipeg
7. Baltimore
8. Cleveland
9. San Diego
10. Las Vegas?

I think the players would like a team in Las Vegas
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  16:44:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sin city may pose as a problem due to the large amounts of gambling/Betting there, and then we wouldnt want an Tim donaghy case in hockey
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  04:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favourite people to read from, IHateCrosby, is AWOL. In honour of him:

Top 10 outlandish hockey statements you would like to make and not be held accountable for later

10) Mike Babcock bribed Belichek to steal the spotlight while the Wings ran their own little spy gate scandal away from the public eye (I don't actually believe that)

9) Russian players only play one way hockey and Scandinavians are scared of their shadow

8) Michael Landsberg spends more time pimping in front of the mirror than Jeremy Roenick

7) Gary Betman is the greatest thing that happened to the NHL since pretzel vendors were introduced

6) Todd Bertuzzi does not deserve to be playing hockey and Chris Simon should be under the same scrutiny as Barry Bonds

5) Patrick Roy was a wussy who hid behind his goaltending to make up for his inability to throw a punch

4) Quebec should have its own team in the IIHF

3) There’s no such a thing as a Coyotes, Predators or Jackets fan

2) Don Cherry is a fashion god

1)The Leafs will win the cup next year (Ya, right.)

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  15:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In response to Tomas Holmstrom's unorthodox way of spending time with the Stanley Cup (which, by the way, I will deal with in The Alex Blog)

Top 10 Things You'd Do With the Cup

10 Bring it to my old school

9 Bring it to a children's hospital

8 Bathe a child in it

7 Eat ice-cream out of it

6 Film an amateur video with it for YouTube

5 Drink champagne out of it

4 Let all my family and extended family take pictures with it

3 Get girls (pretty good babe magnet I'm guessing)

2 Play practical jokes with it (example, go to the movies and place it in the seat beside me... place it in a parking spot at the mall)

1 Post a picture on Pick Up Hockey!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  17:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

In response to Tomas Holmstrom's unorthodox way of spending time with the Stanley Cup (which, by the way, I will deal with in The Alex Blog)

Top 10 Things You'd Do With the Cup

10 Bring it to my old school

9 Bring it to a children's hospital

8 Bathe a child in it

7 Eat ice-cream out of it

6 Film an amateur video with it for YouTube

5 Drink champagne out of it

4 Let all my family and extended family take pictures with it

3 Get girls (pretty good babe magnet I'm guessing)

2 Play practical jokes with it (example, go to the movies and place it in the seat beside me... place it in a parking spot at the mall)

1 Post a picture on Pick Up Hockey!

The best one to me was Getzlaf. I think it was Getzlaf, might have been Brad May. Anyway, one of the Ducks took the Cup golfing and carried it in the golf cart. When ever they had to mark their ball on the green, they used the Cup. Picked up their ball and cleaned it, put the ball back, an picked up the Cup.

That was awesome.

And for those of you who are asking the question. totally legal by the rules of golf!!

Even more awesome!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  18:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The best one to me was Getzlaf. I think it was Getzlaf, might have been Brad May. Anyway, one of the Ducks took the Cup golfing and carried it in the golf cart. When ever they had to mark their ball on the green, they used the Cup. Picked up their ball and cleaned it, put the ball back, an picked up the Cup.

That was awesome.

And for those of you who are asking the question. totally legal by the rules of golf!!

Even more awesome!

Tops for me would have to be Lemieux leaving it at the bottom of his pool. Here's a pretty good list courtesy of the Vancouver Sun:

''Among the other uses and abuses of the Cup:

. In 1991, it was found at the bottom of Pittsburgh Penguin star Mario Lemieux's swimming pool.

. Kentucky Derby winner Go for Gin used it as a feed bag in 1994 at Belmont race track.

. A member of the Edmonton Oilers, reportedly Mark Messier, took the Cup the night after their 1987 championship win to the Forum Inn, a strip club located across the street from Northlands Coliseum.

. Messier, after celebrating the 1994 Cup win with the New York Rangers, took the Cup to an East Side New York strip club. "It was the first time I'd seen our customers eager to touch something besides our dancers," Scores spokesman Lonnie Hanover said.

. In 1905, members of the Ottawa Silver Seven decided to punt the cup over the Rideau Canal on the Ottawa River.''

Go to Top of Page

I´m also Cånädiön
Rookie

Sweden
217 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  03:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This list is based on this article from the Montreal Gazette: http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/sports/story.html?id=f24389c9-49db-4177-ad8f-1ed2417fa1fd

Top ten list to help Vancouver sign Sundin:

10. The idea of playing ABBA all the time might have a different effect than what people had hoped for, heres something a bit more up to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl4RcnKMf3s

9. Volvo is a nice car but Sundin might have use for something with a bit more BHP....1004 of them to be exact in the form of the Koenigsegg CCXR.

8. The idea of a Swedish masseur sounds great throw in some bowling-ball polisher and it´s a lock.

7. Play the Swedish National Anthem every time Sundin touches the ice.

6. Convince the refs to wear Pippi Longstocking whigs when judging Canuck games.

5. Replace the puck with a meatball and have some extra if the Sedins look suspiciously hungry.

4. Switch the stick against a fishing rod, drill holes in the ice (preferebly infront of the Canuck goalie) and plant live Salmon under it.

3. Replace the teams waterbottles with Absolut Vodka. It maybe wouldn´t be so productive....but interesting nonetheless.

2. Change all seats in the arena to IKEA Sacco bags.

1. Convince the media to only report about Sundins condition when there´s actually something to report. No reason to make people dislike him a la Crosby before he even have arrived.

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  09:58:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we are in the waning days of the off-season business in regards to signings, buyouts, jumping overseas, etc... I thought I would throw an interesting and timely Top Ten out there...

Top Ten Players' Buyout Salaries This Year.

These are the top ten salaries this year for players who are being paid to not play by their former teams - regardless of when the buyout originally began.

10) 700k goes to Dave Scatchard as a lovely parting gift from the 'Yotes

9) 728k may not sound like much for Mark Parrish to walk away from the Wild, but he will eventually receive $4.24M over the next 6 years!!

8) With the new faces in town, Marc Denis makes a tidy 867k to just...walk away...

7) Darcy Tucker gets paid by 2 teams this year...what a special guy! He earns a flat $1M to leave T.O. for 7th on the buyout list, but he also earns another $2.2M to actually play hockey for the Avs. That's $3.2M at the end of the day.

6) Since the lockout, Dan Cloutier has started only 45 games. He was also pulled from nine of those starts. That's outrageous. In that same time his Save % has never been above .892. This is also outrageous. And also in that same 3 seasons he has only won consecutive games on 3 occasions (a 4 game win streak in '05-'06 and two 2 game "streaks", if you will). I completely understand paying him $1.033M to play XBox

5) $1.17 for Alexei Zhitnick to leave...why didn't they just keep him?? I think they could use him, no?

4) Big Bert also gets paid by 2 teams this year. The $1.33M from Anaheim puts him 4th best on the Pay-Not-To-Play list. He only makes slightly more to play for Calgary, but the combined total is a nice payday!

3) Glen Murray gets a handsome $1.33M to leave Beantown.

2) Jozef Stumpel earns a whopping $1.75M from Florida to walk away, plus he'll earn a few crumbs for his new team in...drumroll please - Kazakhstan!

1) Of course, the mother load still belongs (and will for quite some time) to Alexei Yashin. $2.019M to stay the hell away! The kicker is: He will still earn nearly 15 million dollars from now until the end of the 2014/2015 season

sidenote: As of right now, there are 22 players enjoying buyout contracts. The smallest amount for this season? Defenseman Filip Novak gets 83k from the Blue Jackets.
Go to Top of Page

baimerr
Top Prospect

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2008 :  11:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada-Eh

9 Fans watching games outside the arena

lmao... yeah thats just something else.
Go to Top of Page

wingman
Top Prospect

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  13:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by FranzenFanatic

1 Wings win their 11th cup!
2 Franzen breaks a bunch of Howe's records
3 Wings 9-0 after Hasek, about to finish two sweeps
4 Datsyuk / Zetterberg lead NHL in points in the playoffs
5 Zetterberg goal on Colorado
6 Kronwall hit
7 Osgood but ends Ribeiro
8 Joe Louis still proud to be home of HockeyTown even if some dumb rule tries to make us lose our tradition
9 Lidstrom centre ice goal
10 Don Cherry lashes out at the people who sent in a picture of a donkey for the mule on HNIC

I AGREE 100 PERCENT WITH TEVERYTHING STATED HERE, GOOD ON YA

Canucks blow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page