Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Will there ever be a dynasty again? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the salary cap era and drafting and building young prospects the way to go, will there ever be a true dynasty like the 80's oilers or the 70's canadiens again?

Personally, I don't think it's possible. There are too many teams that have a chance nowadays, and the league is too balanced. Even when a team does win, it seems they fall apart the next season.

I don't even think a team can repeat, as the past 4 years the cup winners have not made it past the first round, my how things have changed.

He who controls the present controls the past; he who controls the past controls the future.

Edited by - pokermatt12 on 05/16/2008 11:14:35

FranzenFanatic
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say the Red Wings are as close as it gets. 17 straight playoff apperances, if they win this year, 4 cups in about the last ten years and potential for ten had they not underachieved. Ken Holland is proof in the pudding that it can be done with the right GM making trades and constantly bringing in new guys to make up for the old I think that the key to every team is a kick ass GM nowadays and that's why Detroit is so good.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  11:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They also have amazing scouts and are very good in developing players.
Zetterberg, 210th overall
Datsyuk, 171st overall
Franzen, 97th overall

Thats truly amazing drafting. I also like that Detriot doesn't usually throw away their prospects. The only time that I remember seeing them do that was when they traded Shawn Matthias for Bertuzzi. Besides that Holland has been incredible and Detroit is a dynasty.

Stars for the Cup!
Go to Top of Page

pokermatt12
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  12:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand about the wings, they are my favourite team too after all. But can you actually consider them a dynasty? I would argue no, as 4 cups in 10 years would be a good feat, I don't think that (compared to dynasties before) can be considered a dynasty.

Then again, with the salary cap era, maybe we have to rewrite the record books on what is considered a dynasty, and then again, one could argue you would have to rewrite the books based on other factors and records because of the change in the game.

He who controls the present controls the past; he who controls the past controls the future.
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  14:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Penguins and the Capitals have potential to have a dynasty with all there good young talent.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2008 :  15:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FranzenFanatic

I'd say the Red Wings are as close as it gets. 17 straight playoff apperances, if they win this year, 4 cups in about the last ten years and potential for ten had they not underachieved. Ken Holland is proof in the pudding that it can be done with the right GM making trades and constantly bringing in new guys to make up for the old I think that the key to every team is a kick ass GM nowadays and that's why Detroit is so good.

in this day of hockey the wings over the past decade are the closets thing to a dynasty as we are going to get, as poker pointed out with the cap and the new youth movement it could be 10 years before we see a real dynasty again but if you call the wings a dynasty you will have to cal the devils a dynasty too putting up close to the same stats over the pas decade,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  03:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The definition of 'dynasty' appears to be changing with time. Clear-cut championships was the old measuring stick. Prolonged excellence in general seems to be the new definition.

Based on the new definition, Detroit is, in fact, a dynasty. Colorado's dynasty ended with last season ('06-'07, that is). New jersey fits the bill. That's about it.

On an interesting side note: In Bizzarro world, the Leafs have a dynasty of prolonged LACK of excellence. Florida being a close second.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page