Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Tampa to play with 5 forwards and goalie? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Sure the Lightning have brought in Malone, Roberts, Vrbata, Prospal, Stamkos, and now Recchi but what the heck are they thinking they trade away there best Dman and now look at there Defence

Carle Kuba
Ranger O' Brien
Picard Lundin

I like there selection of forwards but I think there D and there goalies look unstable. So... how do you think the Lightning will do this season

Choices:

Contender in East
The Basement again
9th, 10th, 11th spot in East
They''''ll make playoffs but won''''t go anywhere

Edited by - Gostarsgo12 on 07/07/2008 18:01:29

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  18:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hovered between East contender and first round exit because, although I believe they are a carbon-copy effort of last year's Philly squad that went to the semis, I think they might have a hard time advancing beyond round 1.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  19:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its hard to say because young guys could break out. I think they will be in the playoffs but go no where
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  20:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see a really big problem with Tampa's Defense. And I think their top 6 will be a little different than you listed. I think Doug Janik will be in over Picard. If I am right, there are a few things to consider.

1) If they are nothing else, they are big. They average 6'2" and 210 lbs.

2) They can all swallow up minutes if needed. 3 of the 6 were over 20 minutes a game last year.

3) They are pretty responsible with the puck. Last year, they had a combined 248 take aways compared to 144 give aways.

4) They block a decent amount of shots. Each guy had about 87 block shots on average.

Ultimately, I think they are reliable defensively. I think everyone would agree they will more than likely not put up a ton of points, but it doesn't look like the team is designed that way. They will get their scoring from up front. I think the TB group of D-men can take care of their own end and that is all they will have to do. And Kolzig isn't done yet. He still has some life and definately is the best keeper that the Lightning have had since the Bulin wall was on the beach.

I also would consider the other teams in their division. Carolina, Florida, Atlanta, and Washington. I would say that none of them have improved as much as TB and most have actually take a step back (especially FLA). I would say they will contend with Washington and Carolina for the top of the division. If they win the division (which is not unlikely) they will come into the playoffs with home ice advantage as the 3 seed at least.

I think they will have a solid season and may make noise in the playoffs.

Go to Top of Page

wyntyre
Rookie

Canada
185 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  23:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they coulda kept marc denis with the additions they've made....too bad they tried to pay him too much...they could put phil esposito in net....they are a whole new team...as much as i hate that!!!!
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  22:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of times you will need some offence on the back end
Who will be at the point for powerplays.
In alot of cases the best defence is a good offence
There is no chance there a contender
But they will probubly make the playoffs
Its to hard to get far on skeptical D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page