Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 To Russia with Love??? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Today Ray emery signed in Russia, and the question that comes up is, should an NHL team took a chance on him?

Choices:

Yes
No

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  10:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i believe that some team such as the avalanche or a team lacking in goalie, should have took a flyer on him.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  14:09:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wouldnt take a chance on him. he was his 1st/2nd year but the 3rd we saw his bad attitude towards hockey

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  16:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would be worth a one year deal, especially on LA, they have tons of cap space and a huge need for goaltending. If Emery becomes a distraction send him to the AHL or even lower if wanted. Sign him to a deal that pays depending on the level he plays in.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  16:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pensfan17

I think it would be worth a one year deal, especially on LA, they have tons of cap space and a huge need for goaltending. If Emery becomes a distraction send him to the AHL or even lower if wanted. Sign him to a deal that pays depending on the level he plays in.

Absolutely - It's called a two-way contract. I like the suggestion of LA too...it makes sense.

I voted 'yes' because I think a team should have taken a chance on him. I personally wouldn't though because I hate 'troublesome' players no matter how talented they are. But somebody should have....

I've said it before: There are many players playing overseas that can help out NHL teams. Former NHLers and non-NHLers alike.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  23:34:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah a team lacking goaltending could use a player like him
He is troublesome
But a whole new setup would probubly change his attitude
He is a good goalie.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think someone should have he is not even THAT troublesome he showed up late for practise twice all year, he has an attitude but all winners have to have that chip on their shoulders.The fight in practise wasn't all that bad either more just a joke to Emery. I think he could still be a #1 on some team, he is good.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  08:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Axey

I think someone should have he is not even THAT troublesome he showed up late for practise twice all year, he has an attitude but all winners have to have that chip on their shoulders.The fight in practise wasn't all that bad either more just a joke to Emery. I think he could still be a #1 on some team, he is good.

i agree the guy can stop pucks like a champ thats the first thing you look at and if he can stop pucks the way emery can,, (Emery is a very good goalie) then the rest can be adjusted,,,hes not an idiot he doesn;t have such bad issue's you can't sit down and talk to him.... L.A is a great idea

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  12:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy has been a problem one every single team he has ever been on, and I don't think he has the talent to make teams look the other way on that. It's not like he is the T.O of hockey. Everyone knows that T.O is a headcase, but he throws up 15 TD's a year and rarely takes a series off. Emery doesn't have the hockey skills to allow him to be a complete meatball and fine a job.

I know I wouldn't even want him on my team. He's a very good back up goalie and a marginal starting goalie (just like Dwayne Roloson), so why would a team give a chance to a back up with a headcase??

He belongs in Russia.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  16:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The guy has been a problem one every single team he has ever been on, and I don't think he has the talent to make teams look the other way on that. It's not like he is the T.O of hockey. Everyone knows that T.O is a headcase, but he throws up 15 TD's a year and rarely takes a series off. Emery doesn't have the hockey skills to allow him to be a complete meatball and fine a job.

I know I wouldn't even want him on my team. He's a very good back up goalie and a marginal starting goalie (just like Dwayne Roloson), so why would a team give a chance to a back up with a headcase??

He belongs in Russia.

he wasn't a problem when the sens rode him to the stanley cup finals,,,,,, and if you tell me he was not brilliant you didn;t watch the playoffs i hate the guy but i give props when props are due, he has the skills and has proven he can be a top tier goalie in the league,, like i said his problem is between the ears and those kinds of problems can be fixed,, take Josh Hamilton of the texas rangers for example

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  16:51:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ottawas management was to soft on emery if he had a hard ass as a coach, he would be kept in line
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  17:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

He belongs in Russia.

he wasn't a problem when the sens rode him to the stanley cup finals,,,,,, and if you tell me he was not brilliant you didn;t watch the playoffs i hate the guy but i give props when props are due, he has the skills and has proven he can be a top tier goalie in the league,, like i said his problem is between the ears and those kinds of problems can be fixed,, take Josh Hamilton of the texas rangers for example

Pasty

BUNK, BUNK, and BUNK. Emery was far from the reason the Sens made it to the Finals last season. They did not ride him, he was along for the ride. And brilliant is far from what I would have said. Adaquate, yes. He stopped the puck when he had to, but I could not tell you of a single game that the Sens would have lost if it wasn't for Emery. Emery was 12th out 16 goalies in save % and 10th on GAA. Not world class numbers.

The reason that Ottawa made those finals was very simple. Three words actually. Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson. Those guys combined for 66 points in 20 games. They accounted for more than 1/3 of the Sens goals and almost 45% of their total points.

Take Emery off that team and put any other average goalie in the pipes and they still get to the finals.

He has not proven anything other than he is a cancer in a dressing room.

And Hockster you are right, a guy like Keenan or Hitchcock would have never let that crap slide.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  01:42:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans has convinced me that Emery was a passenger on that cup run. Before I started reading the post, I disagreed, but the numbers have convinced me otherwise - I think that he may belong in Russia...or the SoPro Hockey League.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  06:17:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHAT!!!!!!! a passenger???????????? wow woah there is no way you can possibly say that,, wow.. did you honestly watch the playoffs last year,, or are you just looking at numbers/?? the huge saves emery came up with on a nightly basis? he was by far the best goalie in the playoffs look how the same sens team faired this year with an average goalie,,, 4 games 4 losses but i heck of a golf swing!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  09:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

WHAT!!!!!!! a passenger???????????? wow woah there is no way you can possibly say that,, wow.. did you honestly watch the playoffs last year,, or are you just looking at numbers/?? the huge saves emery came up with on a nightly basis? he was by far the best goalie in the playoffs look how the same sens team faired this year with an average goalie,,, 4 games 4 losses but i heck of a golf swing!

Pasty

Yes I did watch the playoffs. And I did say he stopped the puck when he had to. But he didn't do anything that much better than anyone else. That's my opinion. Not even looking at the numbers(although the numbers also prove it). I didn't see anything that Roloson didn't do the year before. Is Roloson a world class elite goalie??? Nope. Not a chance.

And the reason they didn't make it anywhere this year is the same reason they made it last year. Heatley-Spezza-Alfredsson. While in there run to the finals they contributed 66 points in 20 games, last year they contributed 2 points in 4 games.

That is your reason.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:40:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pasty

Of course I watched the playoffs, did you?? What kind of idiotic question is that??

I felt that he played adequately, and I also felt in the minority that I didn't think he was either that great, or deserving of the fat contract that he received shortly afterwards. But when Beans showed where his numbers stood in the playoffs, I'm sorry, they are weak. Just look at them.

"Look how the Sens faired this year with an average goalie" Emery was on that team, don't forget. It's his own fault that he may not have even got into as much action as he should have, looks like he could have used the ice-time.

If he was so much "the best goalie in the playoffs", as you say, then why didn't a single one of 30 GM's even take a chance on him??

Does anyone here remember Steve Penney??? If you don't, look him up.

Oh ya, and by the way, I am not a Sens fan, or hater. I'm just looking at the info and going by what I saw first-hand.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  13:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hate the sens i hate ray emery.. but like i said i will never deny when i player plays like Emery did last year. i guess its a question of opinion but theres no way i feel ray emery is as bad as you're making him sound

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  21:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Emery myself, I like how he took on Andrew Peters, he is tough, he has skill, he is a character (good and bad). I think the Sens organization is just brutal and he would fit in anywhere else better, I mean from day 1 they bitched at him, even about his mask. Then they let him go on like whatever in practise? The organization is dreadful and in for a rude awakening, give him a strict coach, set him straight, and he would be a great goalie.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  03:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like Emery myself, I like how he took on Andrew Peters, he is tough, he has skill, he is a character (good and bad). I think the Sens organization is just brutal and he would fit in anywhere else better, I mean from day 1 they bitched at him, even about his mask. Then they let him go on like whatever in practise? The organization is dreadful and in for a rude awakening, give him a strict coach, set him straight, and he would be a great goalie.

It looks like he might not get that chance.

On a side note, I thought it was pretty pathetic for a young up-and-coming goalie to have a convicted rapist on his mask, no matter what that person accomplished as an athlete. Where the hell was his support structure on that one?? Sheesh...

And again, look up Mr.Penney - he had a solid post season once too.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  06:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

It looks like he might not get that chance.

On a side note, I thought it was pretty pathetic for a young up-and-coming goalie to have a convicted rapist on his mask, no matter what that person accomplished as an athlete. Where the hell was his support structure on that one?? Sheesh...

And again, look up Mr.Penney - he had a solid post season once too.

yeah solid post season then he got chased out of the net by who became the greatest goalie of all time,.....

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  09:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, he wasn't chased from the net by Roy, the second greatest goalie of all time. Patrick's opportunity came when Penney blew his knee out after that playoff. Stastny didn't help Steve either.

Just for fun, here's how it went down...

In 83/84 after losing all 4 regular season games that he played in (Sevigny & Wamsley shared the starter's role that year,playing 40 and 42 games respectively) Steve Penney had his famous post-season run. He played all but 32 minutes of Montreal's playoff games, going 9-6 altogether as they lost to the Isles in the semis. This was the year that NYI was driving for five, although they would fall short to the Oilers. Montreal actually led the series against the Isles 2-0 after winning the first two games at home and then the Isles won four straight to move on to the finals. That means that he was 9-2 before the collapse. That's where his legend was born.

The following season, 84/85, as the Habs starter (Soetart played 28 games as his back-up), he played in 54 games compiling a fine 26-18-8 record with a good average for that era (3.08, .876). For the record, Patrick Roy stopped both shots he faced in his 20 minutes of action that season in his NHL debut. He was still a junior with Granby at this time.

The playoffs come again and this time around he plays all but 20 minutes of their games (733 to be exact), while going 6-6. But more importantly, he was the goalie when the Canadiens lose in Game 7 O/T to their provincial rivals - the Quebec Nordiques! As a matter of fact, 3 of Quebec's 4 victories in that series were O/T wins with Peter Stastny netting the series winner.

So if you do the math: After starting his playoff career an astounding 9-2, he has now gone 6-10 and worse - lost to the hated Nordiques...in a painful Game 7 O/T.

In 85/86 in light of the previous playoff disaster and due to a knee injury, the team gives more opportunity to the young upstart, Patrick Roy who eventually becomes the starter (47 GP to Soetart's 23 and Penney's 18). In the '86 playoffs, Roy goes on a legendary run of his own thus beginning a Hall of Fame career.

And Penney? Didn't play a single playoff minute, did not get his name on the cup (Soetart was the back-up during the playoffs and got the engraving), and was traded that following summer to Winnipeg with Jan Ingman for Brian Hayward.
For the Jets he played seven games in 86/87, and 8 games in 87/88 while putting up horrible numbers for them. There was no Patrick Roy stealing his thunder now. This was his opportunity to shine. But he was outdone by Pokey and the Bandit! He spent most of 87/88 in the AHL playing for Moncton.

And then he retired.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4043
( )

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  21:39:45  Reply with Quote
emery is a decent goalie who should still be in the NHL. But if not one team was willing to take a chance on him that must be saying something. Maybe the rumours about his attitude are true?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page