Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Claude Lemieux Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  13:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Former NHLer Claude Lemieux is reportedly going to make a comeback at the age of 43. I think it is ridiculus what do you think?

CANUCKS RULE!!!

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  18:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yo Canucks Man!

Where did you hear this? It's hard to imagine.

I haven't seen him play since he retired so I can't really say for sure, but I'd speculate that he probably couldn't come back at the NHL level afer so much time off and at this time in his life. But hey, if Chelios can still play (arguably) maybe one of the greatest super pests of all time can too.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  18:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He wasn't a good player when he played, he was just a goon. Nobody needs guys who are just looking ofr a fight anymore.

I wish him luck in his comeback, it's going to be shortlived if anything

Ellis or Renne....
ELLIS
Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  19:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

He wasn't a good player when he played, he was just a goon. Nobody needs guys who are just looking ofr a fight anymore.

I wish him luck in his comeback, it's going to be shortlived if anything

Ellis or Renne....
ELLIS
Go Preds Go!

Here is a link to a story I found. Nothing really specific, but maybe there is a team out there that have league min to throw at him.

But he wasn't a good player?? Sure, he's no Mario Lemieux, but give the guy credit. He's is one of 8 guys to win a Cup with three different teams and he's got the 9th more playoff goals of anyone in history. He had 30 and 40 goal seasons, had seasons in the upper 70's in scoring. He's got nearly 400 career goals and almost 800 career points.

Not the stats of an instigator are they?? He had game, and he definately knew how to win.

Just a shot in the dark, but what team out there has all the talent to win but can't seem to close the deal?????

Will Claude be a Penguin???

That's my call.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  06:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't aware that he had done so well in his career, but I was mainly refring to what role he would take on if he did come to the NHL. I don't think he'll get more than 15 goals and 50 points if he makes a return.

Ellis or Renne....
ELLIS
Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  08:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I doubt he would get anywhere close to 50 points. But what a team will get is the will and ability to win and (if he is still skating as well as he used to) one of the best insitagors who ever played the game.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  08:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think he'd get away with the way he used to instigate. I doubt very much he could change his ways either, especially after being off for awhile now.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  11:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I don't think he'd get away with the way he used to instigate. I doubt very much he could change his ways either, especially after being off for awhile now.

Oh I completely agree. However, I still think the guy has the hockey skills and hockey smarts to be able to help a playoff team on a 3rd or 4th line. Teams that can't seem to get over tha hump. San Jose, Montreal, Pittsburgh, NYR come to mind. Maybe even Ottawa.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  01:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard it on Sportsnet Leigh, and Beans they said that he was skating with Phoenix so they are apparently one team with interest.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2008 :  08:24:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I heard it on Sportsnet Leigh, and Beans they said that he was skating with Phoenix so they are apparently one team with interest.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Might want to read the report a little more detailed. He was skating with them, but that was because he had a front office job with the Yotes. They clearly said they tried the old guy route (ie, Brett Hull, Mike Recci, Petr Nedved) and it didn't work for them.

Phoenix is not in the running.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/09/26/spector_lemieux_comeback/
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow . . . 'ol Claude, eh? Upon hearing about this I thought it was empty rumours, but it seems like it has some truth to it.

One of the greatest clutch playoff performers of all time (from my days, enyways) and a super-pest. Back in the 80s and early 90s, many star players would list him as the hardest to play against. Plus, I loved him because he was my golden pick for playoff pools, as he put up average numbers in the regular season, and played like a superstar (usually against the other team's first line) in the playoffs.

But . . . 43? Hmm . . . I say he plays 30 games or so before moving on or being sent down, 2 goal 5 assists. Today's NHL is just too damn fast, and I can't see him being able to keep up. Good luck to him, though!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2008 :  08:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't believe he will even pass the physical...he put on a fair bit of weight since retiring.

He was tooling around with Steve Reinprecht and it was Steve that suggested he was in good enough shape to attempt a return. Apparantly CLaude thinks there could be a spot for him with the Avs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page