Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 If you were Leafs G.M. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  13:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
keep in mind also that Julien and Ruff have two completely different systems. Julien is a defence first type coach, and typically his top scorer is around the high 60 to low 70 pt range (at least in his tenure with Boston that's been the case). under Ruff's system, Seguin is allowed to use his natural scoring talents a lot more. plus he plays his natural position at C, and not on the wing.

you can say all you want about the "external distractions" that Seguin had during his tenure with the B's, but for me the bottom line here is that he was playing in a system that under utilized his skill set. once he moved to Dallas and Ruff set him loose, the real Seguin showed up.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2016 :  15:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weird how this topic has become about Seguin and less about Toronto and what there GM might do, but I will play along. Not taking away from Seguin and his talent level, but Boston moving on from him was not for a lack of production or the fact they didn't like his skill set. I agree the potential for Seguin to succeed more was mostly about Boston not being able to utilize him in on the top line rather than bounce him around the lineup with no clear linemates on a regular basis. But again, nobody was expecting a Hart or Richard type performance from him either when he was traded. I think Ruff vs Julien and center vs winger has less to do with his increase in point totals, but more to do with the fact his is on the undisputed #1 line with another guy who is surprising with hart / Richard like stats and skills. Having Spezza on the other line so that they cant just send the shutdown guys, against his line doesn't hurt either.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/08/2016 15:42:32
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  12:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua , if Boston didn`t see Seguins potential, Boston management must be the only people in the hockey world who didn`t !!!
You talk about him being bottom 6 in Boston, how old was he then ??? my god.
Do you remember Stamkos`s role his first season in TB ?
i really cant see how any1 can forecast Seguin not becoming a superstar by looking at his early tenure with the Bruins, he was just a child and had not been given his 1st line center role yet, which he was destined for.
Boston screwed up big time, bottom line, i was very surprised Cam Neely let his GM do this. Prob why he fired Peter C anyway.
Didnt the Bruins do the same thing with a guy called Joe Thorthon a few years back ?.....I bet the Briuns have 7-8 star ( or close to star status ) ex-players floating around the league right now. some due to cap issues of course.
Joshua, i am NOT defending the leafs moves regarding that trade . I did before but not anymore.....the only way this trade ( kessel ) will ever benefit Toronto is if K. Kapanen and the leafs up-coming 1st rd pick ( via pitts ) turn out to be great regular NHL players.......if not it was a total loss.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2016 :  09:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke do you know why a team like Boston can rotate thru superstars and still be consistant. Because the philosophy in Boston is there are no superstars. The team comes first and if any one player doesn't play within the proven system they are move along. Seguin wasn't a fit for the system in Boston and yes he had shown flashes of talent, but for you to say people thought he would lead the league in goals points or otherwise is a huge stretch.

Thorton was thought of that way and honestly I cant remember why Boston made that trade, but to my memory they got a few players who they retained for a long time and contributed decently, but never ever coming close to fair value for Thorton. I don't know if it was contract or that philosophy Boston has for not creating a superstar atmosphere, with in there team first program. I do remember at that time I thought it was a mistake for Boston and yet they seemed to do better as a team moving forward.

Kessel's departure was just contract and return and I think if you asked Boston today if they would make that trade, even without the return they got, they would still make that trade based on there cap situation at the time.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/17/2016 09:20:27
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  14:25:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as leafs GM i would do everything possible for my starting line up next season to be this.......adding Stamkos and winning the lottery of course...this is possible...
JVR..............Stamkos.............Marner
Nylander.....Matthews..........Kapanen
Soshnikov...Kadri................Komarov
Michalek..... Hyman ?
plenty to choose from to fill out the 4th line
rid themselves of Lupul
***** Trade Bozak for a good solid Defenseman
keep..... Reilly , Gardiner , and Loov
Trade for or sign 2 solid experienced Defenseman
Pick 1 or 2 more D man from within the organization
*****Focus on the goaltending situation

Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  05:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not bad Duke. though i'd suggest that if we happen to both draft Matthews and sign Stamkos, that would make Kadri trade bait. he's not fit to be a 3rd line guy. in fact I'd be tempted to keep Bozak for that role. but trading both would be the best option in order to keep stock piling those picks and prospects, and potentially bring in that solid experienced D man you've referred to.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2016 :  10:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree Gipper :
So many possibilities in leaf land these days. Whatever they decide to do with some of these players im sure will work out fine.
the leafs organization is finally making GREAT moves these days, this is the most excited ive been in years as a leafs fan.
Torontos future is finally looking so bright. As long as they stay on track the leafs will be just fine for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2016 :  11:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I were Leafs GM . . . I would . . .

- draft Matthews (ok, it's not my choice really, but obviously it's BPA either way)
- sign Stammer to a 7 yr 9.5 mil deal
- trade either Bozak or Kadri (whoever gets the most return) + parts for a solid top pairing defenceman to play with Reily
- sign Zaitsev (a top 4 D-man potentially)
- (do a bunch of other minor deals no one cares about, including shipping off Lupul)
- sit back and enjoy the next season

JVR - Stamkos - Komarov
Hyman - Nylander - Michalek
Soshnikov - Kadri - Marner
Leivo - Laich - C.Brown
(if we get Matthews, Michalek gets dealt or pushed down the lineup, and Matthews takes Nylander's spot, and Willie moves to wing perhaps)

Reilly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Trouba
Marincin - Hunwick

Bernier
Sparks

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  05:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lesfs are gonna have so many forwards ... Whose gone sit ?
Trades will have to be made
Not on your list Slozo are .....
Kapanen
Jimmy Vesey ( he will be with the leafs )
This years draftee will make the team
Possibly Radulov.
Who sits ????
Some forwards have to go to bring back a couple of good D- man
Just too many forwards
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2016 :  21:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

lesfs are gonna have so many forwards ... Whose gone sit ?
Trades will have to be made
Not on your list Slozo are .....
Kapanen
Jimmy Vesey ( he will be with the leafs )
This years draftee will make the team
Possibly Radulov.
Who sits ????
Some forwards have to go to bring back a couple of good D- man
Just too many forwards

Kapanen - not ready, he'll maybe come up during the year for injury replacement.

Vesey - looks like he's Boston bound, unlikely to come here.

This year's draftee - I did put him in the lineup, it's Matthews! If it's #2 or #3 pick, one of the Finn wingers, they replace Michalek. If it's #4 pick, he doesn't play in the NHL next year, bank on it.

Radulov was a vicious rumour, never coming to TO.

Any other questions?

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page