Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin snows a flag kid... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  07:37:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how many of you saw this, but it strikes me as a completely unnecessary and totally stupid thing for Ovechkin to do.

There's no need for him, during the warmup, to come in at a speed that forces him to stop sharply, showering the flag kid, who is probably having the best night of his life at the moment. I suppose one could make the argument that the kid probably told his friends "I got snowed by Ovechkin!" but still...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Pv9VD_5Ew

Your thoughts?

Guest5120
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  07:52:25  Reply with Quote
Didn't even get him I don't see it as that big of a deal sorry he came out strong instead of showing no emotional and skating lackluster into the bench.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because it was Ovechkin and in Montreal this becomes an issue... all kinds of people (read: bitter habs fans) on TSN talking about this too.

Any other player or any other venue no one would have noticed or tried to take issue with it. That kid probably loved it.

Some people just HAVE to hate on Ovie, and when you can't knock his skill....

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  10:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats worse getting a bit of snow on a kid, which as you said probably gave him the thrill of a lifetime or booing a national anthem? If Hab fans want to talk lack of respect I think booing another country's anthem takes the preverbial cake.

I wonder how Scott Gomez and Brian Gionta feel about it?
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  11:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So who cares this kid will probably cherish this moment for the rest of his life.Ovi is the biggest kid on the ice and he was probably just playing around with the kid.

'' GO SHARKS GO''

Edited by - Jumbo Joe Rocks on 04/23/2010 11:30:58
Go to Top of Page

spade632
Rookie

Canada
247 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  12:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I certainly don't think it was the worst thing ever, and as I said, the kid's probably bragging to all his friends about getting snowed by Ovie. I just think it was a pointless thing.

And yes, booing the national anthem is shameful. (As is the idiocy with the laser pointer and Kipper and many other things fans (and players) have done.)
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  12:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a kid? I could have sworn it was Brian Gionta.

All jokes aside, I read somewhere earlier today that apparently OV does that before every game; skate hard to the bench and stop hard. Montreal just happened to setup a little tot right at the caps bench. I dont think this should really be a big deal, besides, if I was a kid that would be the coolest thing that could happen to me until im old enough to date.

Hab fans should be worried about revamping their defence and getting someone in the lineup who actually has some balls.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  12:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure all the Ovie fans are going to get on me for this, but WTF?

Why? For what reason? Multitude of questions come into my head about why Ovechkin would do something so inconsiderate.

Another reason I question his ability as a person, his talent speaks for itself. The guy is starting to look more and more like a self-centered egotist every day.

Some say no big deal? A tap on the shinpads wouldn't have had a better and more lasting impact? Oh right, it's Ovechkin, he was probably ready to throw another of his big hits, the opponent was about the right size.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why he would do that, totally classless, I'm pretty sure if it was my kid, I'd be protesting to the league, but that's just me.

I really enjoyed the way he sat down and punched his gloves together after, really showed his intensity. Maybe next time he can crosscheck one of those shovel girls to really get himself pumped up. What a moron he can be.

What could he possibly say to negate how bad that looked? I was only having fun with the kid? I didn't mean it? It was not intentional? I thought it was Cammaleri and was going to crush him? It all sounds lame already....

And before you Ovie lovers get all excited about how he's playing with passion, and they're on to the Stanley Cup, and yada yada yada....tell me why any of that makes this okay. It was a kid, being allowed to be part of what may be one of the greatest memories of is life, and he has to wipe snow off his face, because of an overgrown child....give me a break.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  14:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on the same page as you Elvis! I see it as totally unnecessary. He could easily have stopped, in the same manner, a few feet further to the left of the kid. In fact, when i first watched it, i thought he did it intentionally so as to kinda "play" with the kid. I expected him to give him a tap on the head or a tap to the shins but nothing.

I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world but i really would love to hear what he said about it if he in fact commented.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  14:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YouTube: Hello Molehill, be a Mountain for a Day

Molehill: OK!

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  14:51:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HawkinOilCountry I agree with you absolutely. To be honest, I haven't even heard about this until I saw it on this forum.

Honestly, Elvis, you have to cool it. I used to be an Ovie fan, but after his hits this year, I only appreciate his on-ice talent.

But ripping him for stopping hard in front of the bench? Like someone above already said, Montreal just happened to have kid flagbearers in the wrong spot.

The kid didn't start crying after the "shower", heck, he probably appreciated the cool-down after have to wave that stupid flag(all hockey flags are stupid, IMO, not just Habs flags) and wear all that equipment.

Besides, why do they have little kids on ice during players introductions? In fact, I'm surprised one of the Habs didn't step on them while walking onto the ice. If you want kids involved in pregame ceremonies, have them skate out with the players like they do in soccer games, kids wearing , for example, Caps jerseys skate out with the Habs, and kids wearing Habs jerseys skate out with the Caps. Would be fun for the kids, and a great display of sportsmanship before the game.

Edited by - polishexpress on 04/22/2010 14:52:26
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  15:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was totally classless act by Ovechkin. I'm with you Elvis. Ovechkin has the skills, I enjoy watching him play but he's showing more and more signs of selfishness... he could of AT LEAST give a tap on the kid or go talk to him and smile to him but no nothing.

And to those who says he's probably bragging to his friends, he's not 10 or 12 he looks like 5 or 6. The reaction on the kid tells a whole lot, he seemed surprised, shocked and scared for a moment. Kids that age are sensible and I'm sure he didn't enjoy the next few minutes after that, he's wondering what he did wrong. And it's not the kids fault that he's standing there, he's just doing what he's suppose to do.

I know the Habs fans are showing a lack of class quite often, but it's not a reason to go snow a little kid.

I lost a lot of respect on Ovechkin after seeing this.

What if he would have taken a bad fall and ran into the kid???
Go to Top of Page

Guest4072
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  16:15:38  Reply with Quote
oh for cripes sake. people will analyze everything these days. was the kid at any point scared, or leave the ice crying like a baby? didn't think so. leave it alone already.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  19:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm . . . I don't get it.

Someone got snowed? A kid carrying the flag during introductions got some ice shavings (did he even flinch?) as Ovechkin stops quickly . . . and this is the epitome of . . . disrespect?

Goodness me.

Let's all take a cue from the kid's reaction to the whole sordid mess, shall we?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  20:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure Spade was asking for thoughts, just putting mine out there...

I'll take class over flash every time though....

Again, I ask, what was he doing that for? Part of his pre-game warm-up? maybe, just another in a line of actions that makes me wonder for one..

Those who say he is arguably the biggest talent in the game today, get no argument from me, only those who laud his personality, that I will debate.

Molehill? I'm not saying anything other than it was a rude, classless thing to do. I wouldn't expect anything to come out of it, nor should it, the action speaks for itself.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  21:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Guest4072
oh for cripes sake. people will analyze everything these days. was the kid at any point scared, or leave the ice crying like a baby? didn't think so. leave it alone already.

Well said, guest. I think that is the point here. We only have a 30-second clip, replayed a couple times, and we say it is a classless act.

Who's to say Ovechkin honestly didn't notice him. Although highly unlikely, Ovechkin may have been so concentrated that he only noticed the kid in the last second. Unlikely, but possible.

Let's be good sports and give Ovechkin a break: kids aren't made of sugar and won't melt from a little spray of water. Forgive and forget, i say.

Good question elvis, I don't know why he did it, and unless you can read minds, only ovechkin knows why. If we say he did so with bad intentions, then we're only assuming, and we all know what assuming makes you and me
Go to Top of Page

Guest5903
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  23:26:20  Reply with Quote
Apparently Ovi does this at the start of every game. You know how superstitious players can be with their pre-game rituals. And what does Montreal do? Get a kid to wave a frickin habs flag directly in front of the bench entrance, obstructing Ovi's path. Perhaps a little gamesmanship on Montreal's part, attempting to throw Ovi off, perhaps not. But Ovi did not allow this obstacle, whether intentional or unintentional, to throw him off: he completed him pregame ritual as always, flagboy or not. If the outcome was that Montreal felt disrespected, well, I won't be losing any sleep over it knowing how respectful Montreal always is with their booing of anthems and their nah nah nah goodbyes.

That would be my take on it.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  23:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't make heads or tails of it, nor do I wish to.

Apparently, as someone pointed out, Ovie does this before every game. Only this time, a kid with a flag was near his bench entrance where he stops, hard, before every game and enters the bench.

So, if he does before every game, and the kid happened to be there this time, I can't fault anyone for doing their 'pre-game ritual' before a big game. It was only some snow, no big deal.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

CoreteztheKiller
Top Prospect

11 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  08:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, just the fact that this warrants a discussion is pretty hilarious to me. Have a sense of humour! It was funny! The kid wasn't exactly traumatized. He'll probably remember that forever. A playful snowing is all it was, Ovie-haters, find something else to complain about, this is a non-story
Go to Top of Page

Guest6534
( )

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  09:10:26  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I'm on the same page as you Elvis! I see it as totally unnecessary. He could easily have stopped, in the same manner, a few feet further to the left of the kid. In fact, when i first watched it, i thought he did it intentionally so as to kinda "play" with the kid. I expected him to give him a tap on the head or a tap to the shins but nothing.

I don't think it's the biggest deal in the world but i really would love to hear what he said about it if he in fact commented.

I agree - it was an a****** move and he shoul be ashamed. I feel bad for the poor kid.d
Go to Top of Page

Guest2114
( )

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:00:55  Reply with Quote
Just be happy he didnt lose a edge, fall and break that kids neck.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, If Matt Bradley or Eric Belanger has snowed the kid no one would have even none about it. They wouldn't have talked about it on TSN and there wouldn't be a topic on this site. I say to all the people bashing Ovechkin for this, maybe you have to much time on your hands.

BTW, TSN said that the kids father isn't mad and that the kid loved the whole experience of being the flag bearer.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

grandfarfadet
Top Prospect

Canada
18 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  11:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to those who don't know, there's those flag-bearing kids before every Habs game. Every time, it's a different kid. It wasn't to disturb Ovechkin (really laughed when I read that one). The fact is that he did this before game 4, but not before game 3. When I saw it live on TV I thought it was a bit of unconcern at first. I thought Ovie was just not caring about the kid. Just like: "The kid is there. So what?" But then he just goes to the bench and sit down and the kid stays there, confused. I hoped, for the kid, that Ovie would give him something to remember other than the memory and being almost destroyed by a superstar. That is just my opinion, though.

I never was a big fan of Ovie but I always admitted his skills are awesome and jaw-dropping. He brings a big show to the NHL, which is most needed to join new fans, but he just isn't my stuff. What kills me is his lack of concern about everything, just like Patrick Kane. Amazing players who do stupid things out of the game.

I know it's part of his routine, but I never believed in that kind of thing. What you do before the game isn't supposed to influence your game (except maybe if you eat 16 extra chili tacos). We should go back to the time where the teams benches were not on the same side of the rink to avoid that kind of accident again, because it isn't Ovie's fault if that stupid kid was in the way. By the way, I'm sarcastic right now.

If it was a Habs guy doing this, I would still consider it being *class-less*. It's not what hockey is about, I think.

John Kordic is the living proof that drugs can kill! -Traduction of a famous Jean Perron sentence

Edited by - grandfarfadet on 04/23/2010 11:45:09
Go to Top of Page

HockeyGuru
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  14:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL...That kids gonna be famous for the rest of his life....If i was his Dad i'd get a picture framed of it and hang it in his room....maybe Ovie will sign it.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  16:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see both sides of this, but in the end, the question is did Ovechkin really have to do that??If he was all jacked up and pumped for a big game at the Molson Centre, fine. But why couldn't he go to the bench at the other entrance?? Did he really feel a need to do that??? Why couldn't he snow the board to the side of the entrance rather than the kid???

This is a perfect example of the perception Mr. Ovechkin. Guys that love Ovechkin laugh off these kinds of things. Guys that dislike Ovechkin use this as fuel for the fire.

He is great hockey player and absolutely the most exciting players in the NHL today. But he is not a great ambassador to the sport, in my humblest of opinions.

Think of the truly classy guys of hockey today and yesterday and ask if this is something you could see Yzerman, Sakic, Gilmour, Messier, Gartner, etc EVER do???
Go to Top of Page

Guest4626
( )

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  20:28:33  Reply with Quote
Notice how the people that say it wasnt that bad are all Leafs fans, if it happened to a leafs kid they would be complaining so much it would clog up this whole page, I'm a montreal fan (not from Montreal) and I agree the na na na na goodbye is bad but snowing a kid? Really Ovie?
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

Why? For what reason? Multitude of questions come into my head about why Ovechkin would do something so inconsiderate.

Another reason I question his ability as a person, his talent speaks for itself. The guy is starting to look more and more like a self-centered egotist every day.

Some say no big deal? A tap on the shinpads wouldn't have had a better and more lasting impact? Oh right, it's Ovechkin, he was probably ready to throw another of his big hits, the opponent was about the right size.

I'm sorry, I just don't get why he would do that, totally classless, I'm pretty sure if it was my kid, I'd be protesting to the league, but that's just me.

I really enjoyed the way he sat down and punched his gloves together after, really showed his intensity. Maybe next time he can crosscheck one of those shovel girls to really get himself pumped up. What a moron he can be.

What could he possibly say to negate how bad that looked? I was only having fun with the kid? I didn't mean it? It was not intentional? I thought it was Cammaleri and was going to crush him? It all sounds lame already....

And before you Ovie lovers get all excited about how he's playing with passion, and they're on to the Stanley Cup, and yada yada yada....tell me why any of that makes this okay. It was a kid, being allowed to be part of what may be one of the greatest memories of is life, and he has to wipe snow off his face, because of an overgrown child....give me a break.

I categorically agree with everything stated here.

What was the purpose of doing this to this kid? Don't give me this sh*t about "he does this every game". Really? He snow showers a little kid before every game?? Oh...then it's ok? If he has a superstition of doing this after every warm-up skate, he certainly could have just moved it a couple inches closer to the very door he exited the ice from!
Although I don't think it's a big deal, it is frickin' weird that he thought this was a good idea in anyway... Ovie is just getting more and more bizarre! Add this to the bizarre list with the dorky 'fishing cap All Star show', and the 'hot stick' show amongst other things.

Oh, and whether or not the kid has a cool story to tell his friends, and whether or not he takes it well isn't the point...the point is he was just some local kid taking a part in on-ice pre-game festivities (like they do in ALL SPORTS, keep in mind) and then a visiting pro (Ovie or not) screeches at him and gives him a snow-job.... just weird...

What was Ovie proving??

I am inclined to think that he was just trying to be funny and hotdog-ish, which is just his nature, no big deal...I suppose. I just hope he realizes that every little disrespectful thing that any player does will always give opponents fuel to compete harder against them. It shall be noted that Montreal won tonight. They may not win the series, but they won 1-2 more games than expected by most and it's not over yet.

But if it was good-natured fun, why didn't he give the kid a friendly tap of the stick or gloves? Weird.....
Go to Top of Page

ReyR
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  15:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

I categorically agree with everything stated here.

What was the purpose of doing this to this kid? Don't give me this sh*t about "he does this every game". Really? He snow showers a little kid before every game?? Oh...then it's ok? If he has a superstition of doing this after every warm-up skate, he certainly could have just moved it a couple inches closer to the very door he exited the ice from!
Although I don't think it's a big deal, it is frickin' weird that he thought this was a good idea in anyway... Ovie is just getting more and more bizarre! Add this to the bizarre list with the dorky 'fishing cap All Star show', and the 'hot stick' show amongst other things.

Oh, and whether or not the kid has a cool story to tell his friends, and whether or not he takes it well isn't the point...the point is he was just some local kid taking a part in on-ice pre-game festivities (like they do in ALL SPORTS, keep in mind) and then a visiting pro (Ovie or not) screeches at him and gives him a snow-job.... just weird...

What was Ovie proving??

I am inclined to think that he was just trying to be funny and hotdog-ish, which is just his nature, no big deal...I suppose. I just hope he realizes that every little disrespectful thing that any player does will always give opponents fuel to compete harder against them. It shall be noted that Montreal won tonight. They may not win the series, but they won 1-2 more games than expected by most and it's not over yet.

But if it was good-natured fun, why didn't he give the kid a friendly tap of the stick or gloves? Weird.....

I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

How do we know OV didn't smile/nod/wink at the kid?

We are all making assumptions of what did/didn't happen. If it was a big deal then the kid and his family would have said something.

What was OV proving? What was his purpose? Did he have to do it to prove something? Why are we assuming he did this on purpose in the first place?

At the end of the day, none of the involved parties are complaining. The digital age has brought instant news but at the same time every small detail is analyzed to death.

The only people finding it "disrespectful" are people that didn't like OV to begin with.

The only thing I'm gathering from this thread is that haters will hate.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2010 :  19:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ReyR says: "I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

We are all making assumptions of what did/didn't happen. If it was a big deal then the kid and his family would have said something.

What was OV proving? What was his purpose? Did he have to do it to prove something? Why are we assuming he did this on purpose in the first place?

At the end of the day, none of the involved parties are complaining. The digital age has brought instant news but at the same time every small detail is analyzed to death.

The only people finding it "disrespectful" are people that didn't like OV to begin with.

I personally like Ovechkin; I don't hate him at all. He is one of the greatest players of thie current era.
But I still think that what he did was both unusual and questionable. And did you watch the video? There is no evidence that he did anything else to ensure a good-natured message in the exchange. Yes, he may have winked..but that would not be very ensuring of a good-natured exchange with a youth hockey fan.

I feel that this is definitely not an issue or a big deal, but it was certainly a strange decision for an NHLer to snow-job a kid and then instantly go sit on the bench. Actually, I think it's hilarious! This clip makes me laugh! I'm just curious as to what his thinking was. To intimidate a child? Who knows.

However...Montreal did just win Game 6. Keep giving your opponent fuel....
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  09:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems like Ovie pissed off the Montreal ghost's with that one, they werent in the building for game 4 though.. they seen it on TSN. They showed up to seek revenge for game 5 & 6. Hopefully the same for game 7.

Edited by - Axey on 04/27/2010 09:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Guest2789
( )

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  10:59:56  Reply with Quote
I think he was just in a hurry to get off the ice so a "too many men" penalty wouldn't be called. Really it is kind of funny....the world is full of crybabies.
Go to Top of Page

ReyR
Top Prospect

13 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  11:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

ReyR says: "I neither hate nor love OV and here's my 2 cents:

I personally like Ovechkin; I don't hate him at all. He is one of the greatest players of thie current era.
But I still think that what he did was both unusual and questionable. And did you watch the video? There is no evidence that he did anything else to ensure a good-natured message in the exchange. Yes, he may have winked..but that would not be very ensuring of a good-natured exchange with a youth hockey fan.

I feel that this is definitely not an issue or a big deal, but it was certainly a strange decision for an NHLer to snow-job a kid and then instantly go sit on the bench. Actually, I think it's hilarious! This clip makes me laugh! I'm just curious as to what his thinking was. To intimidate a child? Who knows.

However...Montreal did just win Game 6. Keep giving your opponent fuel....

So if a guy you "like" as a hockey player winked at you, you would not take that as a good gesture? What would you take it as?

I watched the video and could not tell whether he did it on purpose or whether it was accidental. You seem to assume he did it on purpose and I ask where the evidence is to show that.

For someone who "likes" Ovechkin, you sure do like to think the worst of him.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  12:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's exactly like Beans said: those who like Ovechkin probably think less of it than those who do not like him.

The thing is, ReyR is right, it is a 30-second clip, in fact, less than that, because a 5-10 second portion is replayed a couple times.

That it has to be replayed so many times reiterates that we are making too big a deal out of the whole thing... we should be focusing more on the fact that the Caps, supposedly the best team in the league, cannot win a series in less than 7 games.

Who knows, Montreal might still win game 7. Then what will the Capitals do?

Blame Ovechkin for snowing a flag kid and motivating Montreal, that's what.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  14:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This does have a ton to do with perception and reputation.

For example, when Ryan Smyth was in Edmonton, he was often part of the starting line up. The Oilers did this thing where a wee hockey player(usually 5 or 6 years old) would be an Oiler for the night and would get to skate out to the blue line in full gear and stand with the Oilers during the National Anthem(s). Well often the kid would skate beside Smyth. Through the whole Anthem, Smyth would be tapping the kid on the pads with his stick and playing around with him. Not disrespectfully, but just giving the kid a memory.

That being said, if I ever watched Ryan Smyth snow a kid, because of his past actions, I wouldn't think anything negative about it.

However, I also know that Ryan Smyth would never snow a kid, holding a flag, in the midst of what appeared to be a presentation or entrance of some kind.

It still comes down to liking Ovechkin or not. I love his skill, his in game passion, and his interviews always make me laugh. Other than that, I think he's not a good face for hockey off the ice and some of his between play antics are not something I am a fan of.

Any he also shoots way to much
Go to Top of Page

Guest4988
( )

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  19:31:20  Reply with Quote
Sorry, to me, it was just plain rude and dangerous to do that to the kid. I also think it sets a bad example to kids that ice spraying is OK. I'm not an Ovechkin fan, nor a Montreal fan, so it has nothing to do with who I root for; I'm been a Blackhawk fan for over 40 years. I can tell you this though, you would never see some of the game's greats like Bobby Orr, Jean Beliveau, Gordie Howe, Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic or even Sidney Crosby ever do something like that.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9875
( )

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  14:25:09  Reply with Quote
I think Ovechkin should of gave the kid a pat on the head or something like come on!!!!
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  15:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, this is ridiculous. Dear guests, Beans established, I reiterated, and then Beans reiterated again that the "spraying" will be viewed negatively by those who do not cheer for Ovechkin, and will be dismissed by those who cheer for Ovechkin.

Guest 4988, why even bother to compare Ovechkin to the greats in terms of conduct?

If you look at all the swearing, diving, and unsportsmanlike conduct in the NHL today, it is unprecedented. Not a game goes by where I will not see an NHLer mouth off at another or disrespect them in some other manner.

Comparing Ovechkin to players from bygone eras is like reminiscing about how much less everything used to cost. Thanks to inflation, and changing economies, you can't compare the cost, for example, of a dinner out now to a dinner out 25-50 years ago.

Similarly, Ovechkin is made to look like a vertiable *donkey* and villain in comparison to Orr, Beliveau etc. But what do you expect from a 20yr-old millionaire who is considered an icon of a multi-million dollar business? Compare his actions to others his age in the NHL on the ice and off(ie Kane, Avery, even Crosby and Toews swear on the ice)

Besides, Ovechkin is constantly scrutinized by media and fans unlike average people like us. Give him a break... it was just a bit of water.

Just stop vilifying him for 10 seconds of his life where he sprays some ice on a kid and doesn't apologize.

Vilify Ovechkin for bad hits, selfish attitude, and what Beans hates: too many shots.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  17:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are pretty naive if you think that he didn't do this on purpose. He clearly does not do it by accident, and he clearly does not pause and give any friendly communication to the kid afterwards.

And it would be bizarre for a player of the opposition to even do so to a kid wearing the opponent's jersey anyways.

However, the fact that he even did it at all is why there was a purpose, or meaning, or message, or intent, or reason, or whatever. He has sent non-verbal communication through his actions.

And I still laugh every time I watch it

Clearly his reasoning for doing this was successful, because Montreal just completed the comeback.

Maybe he should spend more time thinking of ways to lead his team to success, than whether to send a message to the opposition in the form a snow-spraying someone uninvolved in the series, before the game has even started.

I ask you this: Did this make Ovechkin look better in your eyes or worse? Did he improve his status in your view, or did he diminish it? You can't deny that he did what he did - the evidence is right there for all to see. He did it.

Oh, and athletes, celebrities, politicians etc etc are always constantly scrutinized - it comes with the territory. Become a hermit if you can't stand the pressure. Also, online forums are all about watching the games, the players, the sport and then subsequently posting about what happens involving the sport and the players. It's ok for fans to have feelings about the things that happen, no matter what side they are on. So for one to say "stop scrutinizing" or "who cares" is about the equivalent of posting in a thread that you hate this thread.

Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think pickles you may have misunderstood my post a bit.

I don't condone what Ovie did in spraying the flag kid, but was it really that big a deal? The kid barely flinched. And, pickles, you can't actually say he did it on purpose: in fact we only have one camera angle of an incident that takes less than 5 seconds. From our angle, we can't even prove that all of the spray hit the kid.

In fact, from the camera angle and length of the clip, it is inconclusive what his intent was. Unless, pickles, you can read minds?

Another thing, pickles, you said he did this because Montreal completed a comeback. What? This video is from either the first or second game in MTL(look at the timestamps in this thread), so that means that the Caps were either tied 1-1 or up 2-1. In no way would it have been an revenge thing or a warning.

I also don't mind people stating their opinion, I stated my own. What I was saying is that spraying a kid shouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison to the other things he does. It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  21:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I'm watching the Sharks, Wings game tonight and after Howard makes a routine stop, Big Joe comes in and snows him unnecessarily.

Big Joe gets a punch in the face, there's almost a donnybrook because of it, and the Wings take complete offence to the action.

Yeah, I guess some of you are right, since it's Ovechkin, and it's just some kid, and it's just him being the big goofball he is, it's no big deal, right?

Comparing Ovechkin to the greats is indeed relevant, he is that talented, and has that kind of impact on the game. Unfortunately, he can't compare to most of the greats because of actions like these, not this one in particular, but this is just one of many that make him the target of said comparisons.

Comparing Ovechkin to an Avery, or Kane, is less relevant, he is that far ahead of these players, skillwise. Unless of course you are only comparing their donkeyness, then maybe you are correct.

It's not a question of like or dislike and more a question of what I consider acceptable behaviour. IMO only.

I'm pretty sure Alex hasn't met many cameras he hasn't liked yet,(except the one in Vancouver of course), so to say he is overly scrutinized by the media, is like calling Fat Elvis big-boned, it just isn't quite the right perception of the reality.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  21:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

I also don't mind people stating their opinion, I stated my own. What I was saying is that spraying a kid shouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison to the other things he does. It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

Wish I would have seen this before I posted my long-winded diatribe.

Kinda saying the same thing....

Absolutely right, it isn't a big deal, just an Ovechkin deal.....and I want to expect better from a player so talented, he's one of the few truly great players to disappoint in that regard, him and Eric Lindros.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page