Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ovechkin snows a flag kid... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  09:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a huge Ovie hater, nor am i a huge fan of his. I respect his talent, i enjoy watching his highlight reel goals and rushes up the ice, etc but i can't get over the fact that this snow job, while "not a big deal", was intentional.

Keep in mind, i agree, it's not in the same mold as attacking a camera person, but it's still an act that i'd like to think a pro would refrain from doing. If this was a kid in Washington in a Cap's jersey, it'd be a little different. It's clearly a kid out on the ice as part of the introduction of the hometown Canadiens and what Ovie did was simply childish!

polishexpress..... How can you question just how much spray hit the kid and why bother to mention that the kid didn't flinch? It's clear to me when i watch it that most of the spray did hit the kid, albeit not high enough to get him in the face. That might be why the kid didn't flinch?

Either way, a very amateur thing to do from a highly paid, highly regarded and highly skilled professional athlete!
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2010 :  19:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously, Alex, I'm playing devil's advocate.

And, I am going to advocate some more: there is no doubt that Alex Ovechkin meant to make a hard stop.

But, Ovechkin, although an NHL pro, is also human, and may have slightly miscalculated the angle necessary for the stop not to spray snow on the mini-hab.

Come on, Alex, I keep saying the same thing over and over, and fat elvis recognized this, and, I am going to quote myself again:
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress
It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

I reiterate: THE VIDEO HAS A 5 SECOND INCIDENT. We don't have much context, neither do we have Ovechkin's comments on the matter.

It's Ovechkin, what did you expect him to do? He is not a true professional by any means. His overall conduct this year demonstrated that very, very clearly.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  00:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pe...... i fully understand what you're saying. I only questioned the part about the spray actually hitting the kid or moreso "how much" actually hit him.

To your reply about whether or not it surprises me, i get that too. It actually does in fact surprise me that any professional would do this. Having said that, i know where you're coming from with your comments and i wasn't questioning your entire post, just what i mentioned above.

Either way, no disrespect intended and i totally understand what you were alluding to!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4988
( )

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  09:38:13  Reply with Quote
To Polish Express, I'm just getting a chance to respond to your earlier reply to me. You said that comparing Ovechkin to earlier greats is like comparing the cost of a dinner today to that of 25-50 yrs ago? I'm sorry but that is a ridiculous comparison, in my opinion. Class is class in any era !! Also, Beans noted in an earlier post that past greats such as Sakic, Gartner, etc would never have done what Ovechkin did to that kid. As far as what should we expect from a young athlete in this generation, Yzerman & Sakic played against Ovechkin and were rich, but never behaved like Ovechkin does. Listen, I have no problem with Ovechkin's skills ( he's one of the top two players in the NHL today ), but I think he lacks in the class and respect for others departments.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  13:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by polishexpress

I think pickles you may have misunderstood my post a bit.

I don't condone what Ovie did in spraying the flag kid, but was it really that big a deal? The kid barely flinched. And, pickles, you can't actually say he did it on purpose: in fact we only have one camera angle of an incident that takes less than 5 seconds. From our angle, we can't even prove that all of the spray hit the kid.

In fact, from the camera angle and length of the clip, it is inconclusive what his intent was. Unless, pickles, you can read minds?

Another thing, pickles, you said he did this because Montreal completed a comeback. What? This video is from either the first or second game in MTL(look at the timestamps in this thread), so that means that the Caps were either tied 1-1 or up 2-1. In no way would it have been an revenge thing or a warning.

I also don't mind people stating their opinion, I stated my own. What I was saying is that spraying a kid shouldn't be that big of a deal in comparison to the other things he does. It definitely wasn't the most professional thing to do, but does that really surprise you coming from Ovechkin?

I appreciate this response, polishexpress.

I wasn't necessarily responding directly to you ( I wasn't exactly keeping track of who was on which side).

I just wanted to rebut against some of the "fandom" pov's that seem to be floating around about this topic.

I wanted it to be clear that I have no partisanship on the issue, one way or the other. That is why in the one post I anonymized the player by simply saying "a player". It isn't about who did this, it is about the act. Imagine if it was Darcy Tucker or Sean Avery though!

I swear to god that every time I watch the video, it looks a little different though!! A little more innocent every time as a matter of fact.

Also, I must have been unclear as to the timing of the 'incident' (for lack of a better word), I was suggesting that Montreal cued a comeback in response to this. I was being facetious though I hardly doubt this registered on their collective radar.

Cheers polishexpress!
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  15:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read throught this topic before I watched the video. By the time I was finished reading, I was like, "wow! I wonder what Ovie did this time!" Needless to say, I can't believe that there is a thread this long about a 5 second clip like this AFTER the kid's parents said they were cool with it. Are there really no better things to discuss? There wasn't even a topic made about Hossa's hit from behind which was EERILY similar to Ovie's. I like Ovie. I love his play! I understand why people don't like him. I can accept that. But ripping on him for something like this doesn't do a whole lot for me. If this was any other hockey player, it wouldn't be discussed.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  15:19:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

I read throught this topic before I watched the video. By the time I was finished reading, I was like, "wow! I wonder what Ovie did this time!" Needless to say, I can't believe that there is a thread this long about a 5 second clip like this AFTER the kid's parents said they were cool with it. Are there really no better things to discuss? There wasn't even a topic made about Hossa's hit from behind which was EERILY similar to Ovie's. I like Ovie. I love his play! I understand why people don't like him. I can accept that. But ripping on him for something like this doesn't do a whole lot for me. If this was any other hockey player, it wouldn't be discussed.

I partially agree, if this was any other player, it probably wouldn't be discussed, true enough. But, if it was another player of Ovechkin's stature in the game, a Crosby, a Henrik Sedin, a Joe Thornton from todays' game, a Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg or even back to a Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, etc., then I am pretty sure it would indeed be talked about and debated,.
The only problem with that comparison, is that none of the aforementioned would ever do something like this, justifying the whole discussion you say shouldn't happen...nothing like a paradox of bad behaviour to make one think.

Edited by - fat_elvis_rocked on 05/01/2010 15:20:47
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2010 :  15:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also is fun to see how people respond to various comments, as ones responded to mine!

That's the whole fun of this thread, really about a minor thing, but upon dissection, questions the whole fabric of Ovechkin himself.

Naaaa, who am I kidding? Most of us just like to argue a lot!!!
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  01:00:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

I partially agree, if this was any other player, it probably wouldn't be discussed, true enough. But, if it was another player of Ovechkin's stature in the game, a Crosby, a Henrik Sedin, a Joe Thornton from todays' game, a Sakic, Yzerman, Forsberg or even back to a Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, etc., then I am pretty sure it would indeed be talked about and debated,.
The only problem with that comparison, is that none of the aforementioned would ever do something like this, justifying the whole discussion you say shouldn't happen...nothing like a paradox of bad behaviour to make one think.

I hate multi-quotes in one reply, but it is too tedious to clean it up...

But I highlighted the part in red that I am finding the most important.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9232
( )

Posted - 05/02/2010 :  05:34:52  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin always does that every game so just because there a Kid laying there not gona stop him from doing his routine. And the Kid was wearing Montreal sweather so he deserve it lol
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2010 :  23:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, a classy professional would have had the couth to not spray the kid, now that I think about it. I suppose this reflects his character then.
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  13:16:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just because Ovi did it everybody is making a big deal of it, if Laich did it I bet ya nobody would care. He was just playing around with the kid.

GO SHARKS GO
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  15:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

Just because Ovi did it everybody is making a big deal of it, if Laich did it I bet ya nobody would care. He was just playing around with the kid.

GO SHARKS GO

Actually Laich stopped on a off ramp, on his way after the game, and spent 45 minutes helping a woman and her kid, change a flat tire. Not sure if you want to make that comparison.

Hmmm....thoughtful, considerate, helpful Saskatchewan guy, just lost a tough game to be knocked out of the playoffs, yet willing to help a person in minor distress, compared to a self-centered Russian hot-dog, who's fans perceive spraying a 6 year old, as a good time.....

Not exactly helping the Ovie train get back on the rails there..
Go to Top of Page

Guest4379
( )

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  19:59:36  Reply with Quote

I'm saddened by this. I realize that people are fervid about their team or opposing teams, but this has to be the most ridiculous waste of time it's been my misfortune to stumble across. Great plays? Amazing stats? Wild deals with millions being paid? Guns, drugs, and fast cars? No. A little kid gets to be on the ice with N.H.L. stars and got a taste of the game that my pre-posters would drool for. Not hurt, not scared, Exhilarated? I would say.
Please forgive me. I'm embarrassed that I've wasted your time, too.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2010 :  21:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4379

I'm saddened by this. I realize that people are fervid about their team or opposing teams, but this has to be the most ridiculous waste of time it's been my misfortune to stumble across. Great plays? Amazing stats? Wild deals with millions being paid? Guns, drugs, and fast cars? No. A little kid gets to be on the ice with N.H.L. stars and got a taste of the game that my pre-posters would drool for. Not hurt, not scared, Exhilarated? I would say.
Please forgive me. I'm embarrassed that I've wasted your time, too.

Holy Razzies Batman!

I haven't heard this kind of overly dramatic rhetoric since Keanu Reeves thought he could be more than Bill...or Ted...whichever.

Don't be saddened, it's one thread of many, there are threads that touch on all you mentioned above, except perhaps the guns, drugs and social ills you pontificate upon.

Some of us choose to comment on our distaste for the circumstance, others choose to debate said comments, so far, none have chosen to go all martyr though....good call, be careful stepping down from that soapbox.

The point I've tried to stick to is regarding the class, or lack thereof involved. No need to be emabarrased, I'll gladly continue to waste your time, but only if you choose to allow me to.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  00:26:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said he pissed off the ghosts, that is why they dressed Dryden for the rest of the series.
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  11:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

GO SHARKS GO

Actually Laich stopped on a off ramp, on his way after the game, and spent 45 minutes helping a woman and her kid, change a flat tire. Not sure if you want to make that comparison.

Hmmm....thoughtful, considerate, helpful Saskatchewan guy, just lost a tough game to be knocked out of the playoffs, yet willing to help a person in minor distress, compared to a self-centered Russian hot-dog, who's fans perceive spraying a 6 year old, as a good time.....

[/quote)

Just saying I mean that if a superstar did it everybodys angry at them ,like say Scott Walker did it I bet you nobody would care

GO SHARKS GO

Edited by - Jumbo Joe Rocks on 05/06/2010 11:02:46
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2010 :  16:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Jumbo Joe Rocks

GO SHARKS GO

Exactly.....

Game - Set - Match on this one!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6813
( )

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  15:18:39  Reply with Quote
Im not an Ovi fan but who care, so the kids face was wet a few seconds and the kid would have liked it. It's not like the kid was crying
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2010 :  17:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6813

Im not an Ovi fan but who care, so the kids face was wet a few seconds and the kid would have liked it. It's not like the kid was crying

This is the type of response that really annoys me! Because the kid didn't cry and because he might have liked it is not the point here! There was no need for him to do this. Why take the chance that maybe the kid wouldn't "like it"? You just don't do something like this in an opposing rink. If this was at the Horizon centre and it was a kid in a Cap's jersey, it'd be easier to see it as him clowning around with a guy who prob idolizes him! But in Montreal, c'mon......

I really wish anonomys guests wouldn't keep bringing this to the forefront. While i understand i have the option to not read it, i can't help it....then i regret clicking on it!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page