Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Vesa Toskala Guilty? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  10:04:31
ok toskala has been playing real good the last week or 2, i didnt see u in here once saying he had a good game, you just dissapeared. then cujo wins one game an your back saying how bad toskala is. and i saw cujo let in a pretty soft goal that game to. and toronto is a good team? get real man. they are far from being a good hockey team. yes they are overachiving a little from what was expected, but they are still one of the worst teams in the league. how does that make them a good team?
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  16:38:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lunchbox

Ok, really, you can get a video of almost every goalie booting a puck. I'm reminded of the great Marty Brodeur a few years back dropping his stick only to beautifully deflect the puck between his legs and into the net....and the puck was just sliding at him not knuckling at him like Toskala's.

Should he have stopped it? Yes.
Does it make him a terrible goalie? No.

The last few games he's played, he has been just fine positionally. Look at the Vancouver game last week. Two goals, one shot off a defender, the other on a sweet (or lucky?) tip by Alex Burrows. Nothing he could have done more. Pretty good week for "the worst goalie to wear the Blue and White." (Paraphrasing - please do not get in an uproar about that)

not all goalies allow an easy save from behind the other teams crease line, that's pathetic, sure it was bouncing but there is no reason why that should have went in... Toskala is awful
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  16:44:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4631

ok toskala has been playing real good the last week or 2, i didnt see u in here once saying he had a good game, you just dissapeared. then cujo wins one game an your back saying how bad toskala is. and i saw cujo let in a pretty soft goal that game to. and toronto is a good team? get real man. they are far from being a good hockey team. yes they are overachiving a little from what was expected, but they are still one of the worst teams in the league. how does that make them a good team?

well they are only 7 points away from a playoff spot by the way they've been playing lately... I said Toskala looked decent in his last couple games but not good he still looked very weak and shaky out there... Joseph on the other hand has been playing great not allowing easy goals. I was glad to finally see them give Jospeh a chance because he's played well this year for the amount of games he's played sitting out for a month straight doesn't help game performance at all but he's done well, I hope they play him a lot more
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  13:27:30
well you can hope he plays more all u want, but the fact is he wont. when toskala is having 40 save nights i dont know how you can call that bad goaltending. and do u honestly think that toronto is going to gain 7 points in the next 19 games and get in the playoffs over carolina pittsburgh buffalo n florida? thats just not goin to happen
Go to Top of Page

MUDSLINGER
Top Prospect

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  14:20:40  Show Profile
bla bla bla if the leafs had to go to shoot out the next 5 games in a row and the score was 0-0 after overtime and they lost it would still be Toskalas fault somehow
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  14:47:01
hanley...your saying you would trade toskala for osgood straight up? toskala would probably lead the league in wins if he played for detroit..he has a f$ckin winning record on the leafs for god sakes! pretty sure hes undefeated in his last 11 or something too...7-0-4 not bad for back up
Go to Top of Page

Bozonator
Top Prospect

57 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  15:05:36  Show Profile
I was watching TSN a week ago and they were saying that in the season Toskala will be getting surgery on I think it is his hip. Saying that he is playing pretty well for being injured. And He has played really well as of late.
All in all its not TosKala's fault.
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  15:56:00  Show Profile
i'm willing to say case closed on this issue.

Toskala= quality. The Leafs best hang on to him, next years team may be even worse than this one, they may need him to help them stay respectable.

One thing I will submit to hanley is as of late, the Leafs are looking like a playoff team. I wouldn't call them good, because the teams they are beating are terrible. The Sens are sad, the Rangers have a great goalie, but I don't know how they are still in the playoffs, they are not good, they just look that way. Smoke and mirrors.

The Leafs are the opposite, you look at their forwards and they are laughable. They have a great 3rd line, but the problem is they have 3 of them.. However, when they work hard they can suprise teams, which is what has been happening. It does not hurt to have Toskala in net for those games.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  17:44:57  Show Profile
quote:

well you can hope he plays more all u want, but the fact is he wont. when toskala is having 40 save nights i dont know how you can call that bad goaltending. and do u honestly think that toronto is going to gain 7 points in the next 19 games and get in the playoffs over carolina pittsburgh buffalo n florida? thats just not goin to happen

thats the thing Toskala don't have 40 save nights... as long as Toronto dont keep playing Toskala day in and day out and as long as they don't play Pogge when they could be playing Joseph, Toronto has a strong enough team to make the playoffs. Toskala is the big reason why they aren't in a playoff spot right now, another reason is with the long weeks without Luke Schenn, Mike Van Ryn and Tomas Kaberle when they were injured.. They are all playing now, they have a chance and it might happen but if they want to make the playoffs they need to stop playing Toskala day in and day out
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  17:51:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MUDSLINGER

bla bla bla if the leafs had to go to shoot out the next 5 games in a row and the score was 0-0 after overtime and they lost it would still be Toskalas fault somehow

I never said that, but seriously that's the only time this year Toskala was recorded with a shutout but they lost in a shootout, I'll admit he actually played a good game, that wasn't his fault at all, that wasn't anyone's fault it was a great hockey game.. Personally I don't think it should come down to shootouts thats the european way of hockey, not the way it should be played
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:08:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4803

hanley...your saying you would trade toskala for osgood straight up? toskala would probably lead the league in wins if he played for detroit..he has a f$ckin winning record on the leafs for god sakes! pretty sure hes undefeated in his last 11 or something too...7-0-4 not bad for back up

I never said I would trade Toskala for Osgood, they both suck. Toskala has a losing record with Toronto he's only won 55 games in 118 as a Leaf, that's horrible... That's worse than Alan Bester. thats bad...... sure in his last 11 games he has 7 wins but all his 34 goals against in his last 11 games should have been easy saves.. 34 goals against in 11 games is a bad record. What I was saying is if Detroit had Conklin, Toskala and Osgood. Conklin would be number 1 and Osgood and Toskala would be fighting for backup, there is no way Toskala could be a number 1 goalie for Detroit if they have Conklin that just wouldn't be smart on Detroits behalf although Detroit can make any goalie look good hence Osgood
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:19:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:

thats the thing Toskala don't have 40 save nights... as long as Toronto dont keep playing Toskala day in and day out and as long as they don't play Pogge when they could be playing Joseph, Toronto has a strong enough team to make the playoffs. Toskala is the big reason why they aren't in a playoff spot right now, another reason is with the long weeks without Luke Schenn, Mike Van Ryn and Tomas Kaberle when they were injured.. They are all playing now, they have a chance and it might happen but if they want to make the playoffs they need to stop playing Toskala day in and day out

Man, do you watch Hockey?? How are the Leafs even close to a playoff team?? What about them makes them playoff caliber? Honestly, goaltending may be the only thing. Please Burke, trade Toskala to the Thrashers, i will be glad to have this guy on my team. WHY DO YOU WANT JOSEPH TO PLAY MORE? He has .861 sv % with 3.71 goals against and a record of 2-6-1. Toskala has a .889 sv % with 3.27 goals against and record of 22-17-10. When looking at the Leafs players, their leading point getter is Jason Blake with 50. Im sorry, but Blake is not a primary scorer in the NHL, more of a complimentary player, or role player. Out of top ten point leaders for Toronto, only 2 are positive, Jason Blake being +3. That dissapears fast when looking at Kaberles -13. Again, how is this team a playoff team? Honestly, im surprised they are not lower. Toskala is the only reason this team isn't contending. (I mean contending for Tavares). Watch a Leafs game, then come back and tell me how good the team is. The defense core is fairly weak. Kubina is overrated (as another thread has commented on), Kaberle cannot do everything, Luke will one day be good, but is still very young and inexperienced, Jeff Finger is not talented enough. The two "bright spots" on defense are Ian White and his mustache. Offense, well maybe a little better?? Nik Antropov should be out of Toronto soon, so there he goes. Blake is having a decent year, cannot argue that. Hagman has been a nice surprise. Moore is also a nice surprise, but rumors persist that he is going to be moved out as well. And after that, you really have nothing that resembles an NHL team. My opinion of course, but saying that Toronto is a playoff Caliber team is laughable. Penguins are struggling to make the playoffs, and i would find it hard to believe anyone is saying Toronto is a better team than them.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:20:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by goleafsgosjnb

i'm willing to say case closed on this issue.

Toskala= quality. The Leafs best hang on to him, next years team may be even worse than this one, they may need him to help them stay respectable.

One thing I will submit to hanley is as of late, the Leafs are looking like a playoff team. I wouldn't call them good, because the teams they are beating are terrible. The Sens are sad, the Rangers have a great goalie, but I don't know how they are still in the playoffs, they are not good, they just look that way. Smoke and mirrors.

The Leafs are the opposite, you look at their forwards and they are laughable. They have a great 3rd line, but the problem is they have 3 of them.. However, when they work hard they can suprise teams, which is what has been happening. It does not hurt to have Toskala in net for those games.

yeah if the Leafs aren't good, explain this to me they have one guy with 50 points, 4 guys with at least 40 points, 9 guys with at least 30 points, 12 guys with at least 20 points and 16 with at least 10 points, looks pretty damn good to me... They work well as a team and have more goals than most NHL teams do. its a shame they have Toskala as a number 1 goalie because if they had a goalie like Dany Sabourin as there number 1 goalie (with isn't seeing any ice time since he was traded to Edmonton which makes no sense he was the better goalie for Pittsburgh, he's definitely better than Fleury) Toronto would be in Playoff position no doubt... Toskala is wearing Toronto down and Brian Burke knows it, he's said it.. Even Ron Wilson a Toskala believer is not happy with Toskala... They need to play Cujo more cause Pogge is not NHL ready.

as for Thrasher,,, hell i'd take Lehtinen or Hedberg over Toskala any day.... if Toskala was Atlanta's number 1 goalie they'd be behind the New York Islanders forsure... Dude the only good thing about Atlanta is there Goaltending and Kovalchuk and surprisingly this year Todd White is having a break out season. Toronto is by far a better over all team than Atlanta. Toronto's only true weakness is Toskala so if Atlanta truly wants him I'd be happy if they traded Lehtinen or Hedberg for him

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/02/2009 19:10:25
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:49:06  Show Profile
TRAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP....have they even tried this at practice
NO SHUT DOWN DEFENCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...honestly schenn lol
OFFENSIVED TEAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...explains your stats
Its not his fault if he was on Columbus or Minn you would be praising him. damn leaf fans get it through your head offence doesn't win championships.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  20:09:35
ok hanley toskala had a 40 save game last week and a 39 save game last week alone so there goes your theory that he doesnt have 40 save games, they team gave up 44 shots to the islanders thats cleary poor play by the team not the goalie. dany sabourin better then fluery are you on crack? sabourin is garbage and a career back-up, conklin has beeen in the league long enough proving that he is not a reliable starter.

but hey maybe we should take it easy on you because it is pretty clear that you do not understand the game of hockey
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  22:27:41  Show Profile
Hanley, please tell me you are kidding. Lehtonen has tons of potential and one day will be a great starter (hopefully). This kid is so fragile and cannot start consistently. You want the moose over Toskala? My god watch an Atlanta game where he is in net. I cannot believe you just said that. He is a decent backup, but because of Kari, he starts far too many games. If the Leafs had either goalie, Atlanta would be ahead of them in standings, and they would be in a tight race with the Islanders.

Know that the Thrashers have 3 players over 50 points, while Toronto has ONE with over 50 (Blake with 50). Bryan Little has 42 points. Scoring is not the problem for the Thrashers. You wanna know what is. KEEPING THE PUCK OUT OF THE NET. I will not lie to you and say that they have a decent defenseive core, because they don't and for some reason they got rid of Havelid today for.... nothing? But if Atlanta had Toskala, a proven goalie that came from one of the best teams in the league, i would wet my pants. Being a leaf fan, you should APPRECIATE the fact that you have him, stop bitching, and admit that its not his fault. Watch a game, please, before you comment again. Tell me how many turnovers Toronto defense have. Count how many missed chances by the forwards. Count how many bad goals Toskala lets in. If the last one is less than the first two, then there you go. I try and defend Toronto fans for the most part, because everyone seems to pick on them. But i cannot and will not defend you if you fail to realize you have a good thing and complain about it. Your problem, not mine. I have not heard a single commentator say that Toskala is the problem or the Toronto goaltending situation is the problem, and i would take any of their opinions ahead of yours, because you obviously are not old enough to realize that your team cannot win every year. DEAL WITH IT.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  19:15:07
so 50 saves for toskala tonight, i thought u said he doesnt have 40 save nights hanley? he sure looks like a starting goalie to me. but i am sure you will somehow find a way to blame toskala for this loss to
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:44:27  Show Profile
quote:

ok hanley toskala had a 40 save game last week and a 39 save game last week alone so there goes your theory that he doesnt have 40 save games, they team gave up 44 shots to the islanders thats cleary poor play by the team not the goalie. dany sabourin better then fluery are you on crack? sabourin is garbage and a career back-up, conklin has beeen in the league long enough proving that he is not a reliable starter.

but hey maybe we should take it easy on you because it is pretty clear that you do not understand the game of hockey

while Fleury was injured Sabourin played great, better than Fleury has ever played both last year and this year.. Fleury is a weak goalie just like Toskala
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  21:57:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

Hanley, please tell me you are kidding. Lehtonen has tons of potential and one day will be a great starter (hopefully). This kid is so fragile and cannot start consistently. You want the moose over Toskala? My god watch an Atlanta game where he is in net. I cannot believe you just said that. He is a decent backup, but because of Kari, he starts far too many games. If the Leafs had either goalie, Atlanta would be ahead of them in standings, and they would be in a tight race with the Islanders.

Know that the Thrashers have 3 players over 50 points, while Toronto has ONE with over 50 (Blake with 50). Bryan Little has 42 points. Scoring is not the problem for the Thrashers. You wanna know what is. KEEPING THE PUCK OUT OF THE NET. I will not lie to you and say that they have a decent defenseive core, because they don't and for some reason they got rid of Havelid today for.... nothing? But if Atlanta had Toskala, a proven goalie that came from one of the best teams in the league, i would wet my pants. Being a leaf fan, you should APPRECIATE the fact that you have him, stop bitching, and admit that its not his fault. Watch a game, please, before you comment again. Tell me how many turnovers Toronto defense have. Count how many missed chances by the forwards. Count how many bad goals Toskala lets in. If the last one is less than the first two, then there you go. I try and defend Toronto fans for the most part, because everyone seems to pick on them. But i cannot and will not defend you if you fail to realize you have a good thing and complain about it. Your problem, not mine. I have not heard a single commentator say that Toskala is the problem or the Toronto goaltending situation is the problem, and i would take any of their opinions ahead of yours, because you obviously are not old enough to realize that your team cannot win every year. DEAL WITH IT.

Toskala is not a proven goalie, the only thing that he has proven is that he can look like a solid good backup goalie only by playing with a team like San Jose which can make any goalie look good, he still hasn't proven that he can be close to a solid consistant number goalie, he's not good enough to play most of the games, he should be just a backup.. All that Toronto needs is a good consistant goalie like they had every year since the Felix Potvin days until Ferguson should off his mentally handicap ways and bought off Belfour and Domi contract and signed Raycroft, pathetic then the next year after that they signed Toskala just as Pathetic only difference is Raycroft won more games...
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  22:02:40  Show Profile
quote:

so 50 saves for toskala tonight, i thought u said he doesnt have 40 save nights hanley? he sure looks like a starting goalie to me. but i am sure you will somehow find a way to blame toskala for this loss to

actually I think Toskala actually played a good game for ones. One good game in 2 years does not make him a good starting goalie... Most people have there bad days... Toskala is a bad goalie that occasionally has a good game, tonight was a good game I was impressed he actually looked like he knew what he was doing for ones.. I still hope they find away to trade him off on the March 4 trade deadline, that would be great for Toronto
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  22:17:24  Show Profile
Your right Hanley, your so right. I feel so dumb for having argued with you. Im calling Leaf management right now to complain that you were not hired for the GM job. Brian Burke was not the right choice, you were. I can just see your first trade. Vesa Toskala and a first rounder for Jody Shelley. You would bring the Leafs the cup this year and for the next 25 years never not get to at least the cup final. Then, someone, probably Jason Blake comes up with a cure for death, you are the only one on the planet who is worthy of it. So for the next 200 years, you lead the Leafs to, lets say 150 stanley cups, with a record 50 seasons without a loss. Cujo would be forced to retire somewhere around the year 2030 at the ripe age of around 70 due to you overplaying him, and due to his fourth stroke. Vesa Toskala, however will go back to San Jose and become a back up, just like you wanted. You will somehow convince Domi and Sundin to come back, trade for Tucker, and the Leafs will be complete.

I am very sorry for having argued with you. Even after Toskalas somehow lucky play tonight against the Devils (52 shots against, 3 goals against, and somehow some idiot made him first star, just dumb.), i can see how Toronto not winning the cup this year is all his fault. Like who does he think he is. Toronto has one of the most talented, defensively sound teams in the NHL. They score goals like no other team, if only that idiot could put on some coke bottle glasses, Toronto would be at the top of the NHL. Toskala is such a bum, can't believe he was drafted into the NHL. What a terrible scout. Like, he must be blind too. Who could possibly see skill in Toskala, Nabakov, or Kipprisoff. Every good year they have, only because the team in front of them. They deserve ALL the credit. Even when stopping 40+ shots, they really didn't do anything that any other minor league goalie couldn't do. San Jose must have some magic power that can slow the puck down when the opposing team shoots. Giving the goalies more time to react and easily stop the puck. I can't believe everyone arguing with you is so blind, and you are the ONLY one who saw this flaw in Toskalas game.

I was foolish to argue with you. Can you forgive me?

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  23:01:08  Show Profile
quote:

Your right Hanley, your so right. I feel so dumb for having argued with you. Im calling Leaf management right now to complain that you were not hired for the GM job. Brian Burke was not the right choice, you were. I can just see your first trade. Vesa Toskala and a first rounder for Jody Shelley. You would bring the Leafs the cup this year and for the next 25 years never not get to at least the cup final. Then, someone, probably Jason Blake comes up with a cure for death, you are the only one on the planet who is worthy of it. So for the next 200 years, you lead the Leafs to, lets say 150 stanley cups, with a record 50 seasons without a loss. Cujo would be forced to retire somewhere around the year 2030 at the ripe age of around 70 due to you overplaying him, and due to his fourth stroke. Vesa Toskala, however will go back to San Jose and become a back up, just like you wanted. You will somehow convince Domi and Sundin to come back, trade for Tucker, and the Leafs will be complete.

I am very sorry for having argued with you. Even after Toskalas somehow lucky play tonight against the Devils (52 shots against, 3 goals against, and somehow some idiot made him first star, just dumb.), i can see how Toronto not winning the cup this year is all his fault. Like who does he think he is. Toronto has one of the most talented, defensively sound teams in the NHL. They score goals like no other team, if only that idiot could put on some coke bottle glasses, Toronto would be at the top of the NHL. Toskala is such a bum, can't believe he was drafted into the NHL. What a terrible scout. Like, he must be blind too. Who could possibly see skill in Toskala, Nabakov, or Kipprisoff. Every good year they have, only because the team in front of them. They deserve ALL the credit. Even when stopping 40+ shots, they really didn't do anything that any other minor league goalie couldn't do. San Jose must have some magic power that can slow the puck down when the opposing team shoots. Giving the goalies more time to react and easily stop the puck. I can't believe everyone arguing with you is so blind, and you are the ONLY one who saw this flaw in Toskalas game.

wow chill out little buddy, I sense little trasher need a hug. I did say Toskala actually for ones played a good game because he did, although the first goal even knowing he was clearly beat out of his pants, should not have been a goal the puck never went in the net, the net was off before the puck hit the post, Finger was pushed over Toskala knocking the net loose, and the way the net moved, if the net never would have been moved the puck would have went just wide of the net... As for Jody Shelley I could think of something better in return for Toskala, a bag of pucks.. This is probably Josephs last year in the NHL, he's still better than Toskala ever was or ever will be and I think they should play Joseph more because "A" he has more skills "B" he doesn't let in weak goals "C" it's his last year give the man a chance to prove that he came in the league as a great goalie and never lost his edge at the end of his career... A lot of people out side of pickuphockey.com know that Toskala sucks so I wouldn't say I'm the ONLY one...
and yes I forgive you little buddy, now go to sleep, you have a big day ahead of you, school loaded with tuns of fun and games, maybe if you're a good little boy you might even get some ice cream and watch sesame street, wouldn't that be fun????

by the way have you seen my baseball??

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/03/2009 23:03:34
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  05:10:34  Show Profile
quote:

EPIC PWNZZZZZZZZ
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  08:11:50
quote:

while Fleury was injured Sabourin played great, better than Fleury has ever played both last year and this year.. Fleury is a weak goalie just like Toskala

ok last year when fluery was injured sabourin played a few good games, but lost out to conklin because he was not the better goalie, and then this year when fluery was injured, they traded sabourin for garon because they did not feel sabourin was a good enough goalie in to start if fluery is injured.

but clearly all of us here at pickup-hockey are idiots, and most hockey analysists are idiots, and nhl gm's and coaches are idiots because u are right. send fluery and toskala to the echl, make joseph and sabourin starters. if u had a choice between crosby or jason blake to build a franchise around, clearly u would want jason blake, and just give toronto the cup because toskala is no longer a starter how could the leafs possibly lose another game. clearly your are right. despite all stats proving you wrong. you are right, and just like thrasher, i apologize for questioning your hockey knowledge, they should give you a job at hockey night in canada, just so everyone can hear you and have there eyes opened
Go to Top of Page

Guest4985
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  09:57:57
What's all this crap about "square to the shooter" with Toskala? C'mon boys this is the NHL. If you don't have the basic fundamentals of goaltending you shouldn't even be in the league. So let's grant that Toskala can usually get square. But what happens next? He usually drops to his knees way too early which exposes the entire top third of the net for an easy goal, or allows a pass across for an easy one-timer because he can't get across because he's on his knees and you can't push off (doesn't even try to dive across like competent goalies) or let's in a soft one through the five hole. Toskala is a one trick, fall to his knees and "pray it hits me" goalie. And, yeah, the Leafs defense sucks so all the more reason to have a goalie who CAN control his rebounds (believe it or not this is a required skill of top NHL goalies). Goalies are paid to stop pucks. How well a goalie does this is reflected in the save %. Top goalies do not have a save % below .900. Bottom line: Every Leaf deserves blame for their poor season but Toskala is playing just as bad as everyone else.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  10:33:19  Show Profile
EVERYONE, TORONTO SEASON IS SAVED. TOSKALA OUT FOR THE SEASON WITH A GROIN INJURY. STANLEY CUP FINALS, GO LEAFS.

Seriously though, i dont care what you look at, how can you even argue that Joseph is better? You cant be looking at the stats because wow, Joseph is not even close. Find one person that thinks Toskala is the reason that Toronto didn't make the playoffs, tell them to sign in as a guest (don't do this your self, thats cheating) and comment on this topic. If, you can find someone, preferably someone with education above grade 3, and if possible, maybe a hockey fan. I'm not sure if you hang out with the latter group, but an educated opinion on this matter would be preferable. If you can do this small task for me, i will bow down before your all knowing hockey knowledge. I will praise the blue and white god that is Hanley, and fight to the death with EVERYONE ELSE that agrees that Toskala is not the problem, and im guessing with him out, we can see Joseph and what he is truly still capable of doing.

Or, even better, how about Pogge being given the team? With the way your logic astounds me, I can see you being completely on board with it. Justin Pogge, the savior of the blue and white, future 2009 conn smythe winner!! You heard it here first!!!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  12:05:36
guest 4985 you say toskala allows the pass across for easy one timers, its not his job to take away the pass its the defensemans job to take away the pass and allow the goalie to square to the shooter. toronto defencemen do not do this, half the time there go at the shooter leaving the pass open. they give other teams high percentage shots rather than giving there goalie high percentage saves
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  14:41:13  Show Profile
And to the arguement of "square to the shooter" do something to enlighten yourself. Watch an entire hockey game without taking your eyes off the goalie. It's beyond me how often you see a goalie who does not play square to the puck.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  18:34:24  Show Profile
Very unfortunate for Toskala. He seemed to be finding his game as of late and you have to wonder if his 50 save performance last night could have tweaked something in his groin.

This may all be a blessing for the leafs. The season now officially gets tanked and the rebuild officially begins. Im still some what unsure of what kind of value the Leafs could have gotten at the deadline for possibly trading away Toskala.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  01:12:36  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

ok last year when fluery was injured sabourin played a few good games, but lost out to conklin because he was not the better goalie, and then this year when fluery was injured, they traded sabourin for garon because they did not feel sabourin was a good enough goalie in to start if fluery is injured.

but clearly all of us here at pickup-hockey are idiots, and most hockey analysists are idiots, and nhl gm's and coaches are idiots because u are right. send fluery and toskala to the echl, make joseph and sabourin starters. if u had a choice between crosby or jason blake to build a franchise around, clearly u would want jason blake, and just give toronto the cup because toskala is no longer a starter how could the leafs possibly lose another game. clearly your are right. despite all stats proving you wrong. you are right, and just like thrasher, i apologize for questioning your hockey knowledge, they should give you a job at hockey night in canada, just so everyone can hear you and have there eyes opened

they traded Sabourin after Fleury came back
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  01:37:23  Show Profile
quote:

guest 4985 you say toskala allows the pass across for easy one timers, its not his job to take away the pass its the defensemans job to take away the pass and allow the goalie to square to the shooter. toronto defencemen do not do this, half the time there go at the shooter leaving the pass open. they give other teams high percentage shots rather than giving there goalie high percentage saves

no its not his job to take away the pass unless its coming through the crease but it is his job to follow the puck instead of going down before the man with the puck even makes a play.... And about the Toronto gives other teams high percentage shots???? not often, most of the time about 88 % of the games Toronto has out shot the opposing team
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  01:39:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs Rock Planet

Very unfortunate for Toskala. He seemed to be finding his game as of late and you have to wonder if his 50 save performance last night could have tweaked something in his groin.

This may all be a blessing for the leafs. The season now officially gets tanked and the rebuild officially begins. Im still some what unsure of what kind of value the Leafs could have gotten at the deadline for possibly trading away Toskala.

no one would want Toskala for 4 million per year, he's not that good
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  02:38:37  Show Profile
quote:

EVERYONE, TORONTO SEASON IS SAVED. TOSKALA OUT FOR THE SEASON WITH A GROIN INJURY. STANLEY CUP FINALS, GO LEAFS.

Seriously though, i dont care what you look at, how can you even argue that Joseph is better? You cant be looking at the stats because wow, Joseph is not even close. Find one person that thinks Toskala is the reason that Toronto didn't make the playoffs, tell them to sign in as a guest (don't do this your self, thats cheating) and comment on this topic. If, you can find someone, preferably someone with education above grade 3, and if possible, maybe a hockey fan. I'm not sure if you hang out with the latter group, but an educated opinion on this matter would be preferable. If you can do this small task for me, i will bow down before your all knowing hockey knowledge. I will praise the blue and white god that is Hanley, and fight to the death with EVERYONE ELSE that agrees that Toskala is not the problem, and im guessing with him out, we can see Joseph and what he is truly still capable of doing.

Or, even better, how about Pogge being given the team? With the way your logic astounds me, I can see you being completely on board with it. Justin Pogge, the savior of the blue and white, future 2009 conn smythe winner!! You heard it here first!!!

I think its better that Toronto signed Gerber and decided to put Toskala on the IR... Gerber is a good goalie played for a worse team than Toronto and still played well don't understand why Ottawa put him on waivers he was there best goalie by far. I never said Toronto is going to win the Stanley Cup this year hell they probably wont make the playoffs but now that Toskala is out they have a better chance at the Playoffs..... And yes I am saying this Gerber is better than Toskala without a doubt.

About Joseph, look how many more games Joseph has put 100% save percentage and how many Toskala has this year, Joseph 4 Toskala 1 but lost in a shootout (not his fault though)... whenever Joseph come in because Toskala played a crap game like usual Joseph always looks better, he's quicker, doesn't allow the easy goals and Joseph knows what he's doing.. The only reason why Joseph has a lower goals against average and not by much is simply because he play often and when you play less minutes in a game a couple goals against will sky rocket your average.... There was a lot of games this year where Toskala looked pathetic like about 95 % of Toskala's games this year where they should have pulled him and brought in Joseph.

I'm not going to talk them into joining Pickuphockey because I'm not afraid of handling this on my own I know Toskala sucks and I know a lot of people know it too, I can't help that some of you are blind in that area... But what I will do is I'll post some links here and hopefully no one blocks them..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/99497-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-vesa-toskala
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/126394-vesa-toskala-worst-goalie-in-the-show
Name: foxtrot
Rating: 1
View Member Profile

post Jan 11 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #130

Prospect

Group: Members
Member No.: 21,094
Even if Toskala had the support of Datsuk, he would still flub shots from outside. You can have the best defense in the world, but if they're able to get a shot off from outside, we're as helpless as a beached seal.

about what you said about Pogge.... He is not NHL ready... Everytime he was called up and scheduled to play he played against the weaker teams, the teams that had problems scoring at the time and he's just not ready. He hasn't been playing well in the AHL why bring him into the NHL?

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/05/2009 03:05:44
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  04:37:53  Show Profile
The links are ok, Hanley - hockey related. However, your reasoning is completely skewed because clearly, you can never be convinced otherwise from an opinion you've always had.

No one will ever convince you that Toskala is a good goalie.

I'm sure it doesn't matter that he has a winning record (minus the OTLs) for a bad team. I'm sure it doesn't matter that a young, inexperienced defence being taught a solid defensive system from the coach will garner fewer shots on goal sprinkled with many high quality chances because of inexperience/error. And I'm very sure it doesn't colour your opinion that Toskala has been playing injured for some time, maybe even the whole season, as many hockey commentators have noted, among them the guys that do the play by play/commentary every game.

So please, this is a call out to ALL THE REST OF YOU:

Do not try to change Hanley's mind with facts, figures or logic. He will never change his mind.

Hopefully, now, we can move on and start the bitching about Gerber . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  07:10:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

The links are ok, Hanley - hockey related. However, your reasoning is completely skewed because clearly, you can never be convinced otherwise from an opinion you've always had.

No one will ever convince you that Toskala is a good goalie.

I'm sure it doesn't matter that he has a winning record (minus the OTLs) for a bad team. I'm sure it doesn't matter that a young, inexperienced defence being taught a solid defensive system from the coach will garner fewer shots on goal sprinkled with many high quality chances because of inexperience/error. And I'm very sure it doesn't colour your opinion that Toskala has been playing injured for some time, maybe even the whole season, as many hockey commentators have noted, among them the guys that do the play by play/commentary every game.

So please, this is a call out to ALL THE REST OF YOU:

Do not try to change Hanley's mind with facts, figures or logic. He will never change his mind.

Hopefully, now, we can move on and start the bitching about Gerber . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I really don't think Toskala is injured at all, out for groin surgery I'm positive its all just a cover up for his horrible goaltending this year and the Leafs don't want to make Toskala look bad.. So they all say he's headed for surgery.. Burke has said many teams that he is not happy with Toskala and doesn't believe he's good enough to be the number 1 goalie. I have a feeling they signed Gerber and traded for Kolzig for plans to get rid of Toskala once and for all in the off season..

Gerber is a far better goalie than Toskala for sure I'm sure the Leafs will look better now and you'll see fewer goals against for the rest of the season. That's my opinion. I can't wait to see Toskala play for another team he'll probably be backup for LA or Nashville or something and when he does play he'll still play like crap

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/05/2009 07:10:46
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  07:20:33  Show Profile
quote:

I really don't think Toskala is injured at all, out for groin surgery I'm positive its all just a cover up for his horrible goaltending this year and the Leafs don't want to make Toskala look bad.. So they all say he's headed for surgery.. Burke has said many teams that he is not happy with Toskala and doesn't believe he's good enough to be the number 1 goalie. I have a feeling they signed Gerber and traded for Kolzig for plans to get rid of Toskala once and for all in the off season..

Gerber is a far better goalie than Toskala for sure I'm sure the Leafs will look better now and you'll see fewer goals against for the rest of the season. That's my opinion. I can't wait to see Toskala play for another team he'll probably be backup for LA or Nashville or something and when he does play he'll still play like crap
[/quote]

Oh my good Lord!!! Toskala has been faking his injury???? Wow! They are shutting him down for the year simply because he sucks and Gerber will do MUCH better???? Oh ya, and they traded for an old goalie in Kolzig so that they can resign him next year and continue their streak of signing old goalies??? Dude..........the Leafs suck. Their forwards aren't very good. Their defense is young and not very good. (Van Ryn for McCabe??? Jeff Finger???) And yes, believe it or not, your goalie will start to not play very well when everyone in front of him sucks...but this has been explained to you so many times and you still don't get it. So I don't know why I even bother....
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  09:13:43  Show Profile
quote:
[I really don't think Toskala is injured at all, out for groin surgery I'm positive its all just a cover up for his horrible goaltending this year and the Leafs don't want to make Toskala look bad.. So they all say he's headed for surgery......

Finally !!! Something from Hanley that makes sense!!!!

You see I'm not actually a middle-aged, chubby, less-than-attractive, worn down Dad....
I'm actually a young, buff, stud of manhood that has Olympian-like sexual proclivities, and my wife, much liike the Leafs, just want to make me look bad...So SHE makes me the shmoe I must pretend to be...

fantasi....er...uhm.....conspiracies, abound!!!!

Thanks for shedding the light Hanley!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  10:11:22  Show Profile
I am really interested to see that TO does without Toskala. With Hanley saying that both Gerber and Joseph are better goalie, I wonder what the excuse will be if TO does worse down the stretch then they did with Toskala???

Only time will tell.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4985
( )

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  11:36:41
quote:

Well we all agree the Leaf defense is poor so I grant you that. But the job of the goalie is to follow the puck so that he can be in position to stop it. Top goalies (again I'll use Nik Backstrom as the perfect example) do not go down on their knees so early that they can't move across to make a save if the shooter passes the puck off. That's what I'm accusing Toskala of doing. But, having said that, if he really has been struggling with a groin injury then it makes perfect sense that he would play that way. The question is should he have been allowed to play at much less than 100%? Was it fair to the fans and his team? This really reminds me of Ed Belfour who played very well for the Leafs until his last season when he also relied on the "drop to your knees and pray it hits you" style. At the end of the season he revealed that he had a serious back injury that restricted his lateral movement. Making that one-timer save is what separates top goalies from average ones.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  13:35:21  Show Profile
Come on Gerber play amazing here comes another 9th place finish for the leafs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To: