Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Vesa Toskala Guilty? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  13:38:13  Show Profile
Gerber is amazing, I will give you that. His skill and positioning is second to none. I feel foolish for having stated Pogge would be given the team. I knew TO would work magic and somehow pick up an absolutely amazing goalie, and they didn't even have to give up anything. The Leafs now have the most complete team in the NHL, and will make a playoff push right away. The experience the goaltending staff has now is unmatched. The three headed beast that is Gerber, Joseph, and Kolzig (who i know is injured) will not let in another puck this year. The experience is unmatched, the three goalies alone have more age than the rest of the Detroit Red Wings combined.

But if Gerber fails this team like he did Ottawa, i think Wilson might have to look to put Ian Whites mustache into the crease. Its so thick and full, it would be at least better than Toskala. And i can't believe this conspiracy that Toronto is pulling. Pulling wool over our eyes, but luckily Hanley has the clippers, and he has showed us that his so called "injury" is just his reason for a terrible season. And to come out after a 50 save performace, just down right rude. In fact, i bet that Toskala is being paid by the Penguins to throw games, so they can make the playoffs. With the Leafs team, of course EVERYONE knew they were going to make it, so the Pens had to do something drastic. But now, nothing can stop the Blue Maple Leafs from absolute dominance in the playoffs. Actually, the only thing that can stop the goaltending is if a marathon of antiques road show comes on come playoff time. Then the blue and white are doomed.

I Promise I didn't give her the STD, I'm not a sharing person.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  22:10:32  Show Profile
uhhh yeah..... your sarcasm is poor. Washington out shot Toronto 38 to 29... Gerber made 37 saves and was only 33 seconds away from a shutout.. the Leafs beat the number one team in the Southeast division 2-1. Gerber played a great game. I wouldn't say he ruined it for Ottawa he actually kept them in the games in the 14 games he played, he was injured near the start of the season. And Ottawa was stupid enough to put him through waivers because he was there best goalie last year and this year by far. And now he's the best goalie on Toronto much better than Toskala and you will soon see between Gerber and Joseph they will become close to the playoffs and possibly maybe even make the playoffs... Something they could never do with Toskala... Call me crazy but its true
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  04:43:33  Show Profile
I think we'll stick with calling you crazy, Hanley!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  10:53:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

lmao you can call me what you want, but you'll see Toronto is better off without Toskala.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  11:25:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

quote:

lmao you can call me what you want, but you'll see Toronto is better off without Toskala.

Absolutely they will be better off without Toskala for the rest of the season. Leafs will get a higher draft pick. Just because Gerber had one good game doesn't mean anything according to your logic. I believe you were the one who said that Toskala only has one or two games every ten. There is a reason that Gerber was placed on waivers.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  11:48:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

quote:

quote:

Absolutely they will be better off without Toskala for the rest of the season. Leafs will get a higher draft pick. Just because Gerber had one good game doesn't mean anything according to your logic. I believe you were the one who said that Toskala only has one or two games every ten. There is a reason that Gerber was placed on waivers.

and what is that reason exactly??? It wasn't becasue he was playing poorly, he was playing a lot better than Auld
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  12:17:37  Show Profile
Because he was having the worst year of his career actually. Which is the same for Toskala. He was on a bad team. Same with Toskala. He was letting in soft goals, which according to you, Toskala was doing the same. He didn't have a winning record (which Toskala actually does). Inconsistent games, one good 5 bad, which according to you is the same for Toskala. Notice the trade Ottawa did make was to get better goaltending. If they thought Gerber was a legit number one who could help them win games, they would not have gotten rid of him so easily. I find it hard to believe anyone else on this site would rather have Gerber than Toskala.

Even if the Leafs somehow make a huge surge past the rest of the eastern conference, looking at Gerbers last play off performance is laughable. 3.53 gaa, not gonna win you many games considering the "high powered" leaf offense. O and he went 0-4 that year, so winning isn't a concept hes known for. Toskala on the other hand in playoffs had a 2.45 gaa when playing for San Jose. But i forgot, just because he played for a good team, he could look good. But you are the one who said the Leafs are a good team, a playoff team, but Toskala was at fault. I see a big double standard right there. Find another scapegoat, its not Toskalas fault.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  21:29:22  Show Profile
quote:

Because he was having the worst year of his career actually. Which is the same for Toskala. He was on a bad team. Same with Toskala. He was letting in soft goals, which according to you, Toskala was doing the same. He didn't have a winning record (which Toskala actually does). Inconsistent games, one good 5 bad, which according to you is the same for Toskala. Notice the trade Ottawa did make was to get better goaltending. If they thought Gerber was a legit number one who could help them win games, they would not have gotten rid of him so easily. I find it hard to believe anyone else on this site would rather have Gerber than Toskala.

Even if the Leafs somehow make a huge surge past the rest of the eastern conference, looking at Gerbers last play off performance is laughable. 3.53 gaa, not gonna win you many games considering the "high powered" leaf offense. O and he went 0-4 that year, so winning isn't a concept hes known for. Toskala on the other hand in playoffs had a 2.45 gaa when playing for San Jose. But i forgot, just because he played for a good team, he could look good. But you are the one who said the Leafs are a good team, a playoff team, but Toskala was at fault. I see a big double standard right there. Find another scapegoat, its not Toskalas fault.

Gerber is a good goalie even with a crap team like Ottawa, Gerber actually looked good with Ottawa this year... Ottawa was stupid getting rid of him. Toskala is just a s***ty goalie that's all there is too it.. You will see a huge difference now that Toskala is gone. I can promise you that. Gerber and Joseph are good, post trade deadline Washington taken down, next stop Edmonton.

GO LEAFS

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/06/2009 21:31:59
Go to Top of Page

Guest5604
( )

Posted - 03/06/2009 :  23:45:13
Although I don't think the removal of Toskala would really change the outcome of the season I do agree with Hanley in the sense that unlike Cujo, Toskala tends to let in far more 'bad' goals which is to say untimely and poor. I watch hockey highlights every morning before school and I always feel bad for the leafs who always cut the lead to within one but fail to bridge the gap. Not to say it is totally Toskala fault, in fact it is largely the defenseman's fault on a significant amount of situations, but Toskala on average seems to let in one bad goal every game whether it be a weak, unfortunate or untimely like 5mins in or 5mins left in the game. However unlike Hanley I do agree with the majority that the leafs would still be a bottom 5 team in the east with or without Toskala. As a sens fan I would love to have a goalie like Toskala, Gerber is garbage.
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  07:11:39  Show Profile
What stats do you have that prove Gerber was playing better than Auld?
Oh yeah most people forget that Gerber always starts well on another team then chokes with the full time job.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  08:30:16  Show Profile
Gerber,,,, Martin Gerber,, played for the canes and the sens.,... we are talking about Martin Gerber as a number one goalie??? i am truly baffled ..... one good game does not make up for all the crappy goaltending this guy has done! he is a career back up who had a couple decent years on very good teams,,, and by a couple i mean 1.5 seasons in an entire career,,, come on at least with the Toskala argument Hanley you can make it... i mean its a legit arguement that Toskala is not what he is cracked up to be.... but Gerbs ,,, there is no way to spin him as agood goalie unless you only count his career with the leafs,,,,, 1 game

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  11:23:49
hanley has no statsto back up what he says, he never does. i dont think he believes in stats because they always prove him wrong, gerber played one good game against washington. and ovechkin wasnt playing so i wouldnt get to excited about it. and i would hate to break it to u hanley but ottawa has a hell of alot more talent then the leafs do
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  16:22:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4631

hanley has no statsto back up what he says, he never does. i dont think he believes in stats because they always prove him wrong, gerber played one good game against washington. and ovechkin wasnt playing so i wouldnt get to excited about it. and i would hate to break it to u hanley but ottawa has a hell of alot more talent then the leafs do

3 players wow.... Thats not a lot of talent... Toronto can out play Ottawa anyday because unlike Ottawa, Toronto can play as a team and it shows look at all the points spread around Toronto's roster and look how little Ottawa has besides Spezza, Alfredsson and Heatley... Toronto is an overall better team than Ottawa
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  16:56:56
ok ottawa has more than 3 players, top to bottom they have more talent then the leafs, ottawa is a decent having a bad season, toronto is a bad team having a decent seaso by their standards. toronto has 16 players with 10 or more points, ottawa has 14. wow huge differents, the islanders have 16 players with 10 or more points there scoring is spread out to. spreading out scoring does not equal a good team. are you really this ignorant to hockey and its fact and stats? or do you just say these stupid things to try and get ppl to argue?
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  18:43:31  Show Profile
quote:

ok ottawa has more than 3 players, top to bottom they have more talent then the leafs, ottawa is a decent having a bad season, toronto is a bad team having a decent seaso by their standards. toronto has 16 players with 10 or more points, ottawa has 14. wow huge differents, the islanders have 16 players with 10 or more points there scoring is spread out to. spreading out scoring does not equal a good team. are you really this ignorant to hockey and its fact and stats? or do you just say these stupid things to try and get ppl to argue?

Toronto has 196 goals one of the top teams in scoring this year, Ottawa has 163 goals the lowest team in the NHL in the Goals for all that Ottawa has is Alfredsson, Heatley and Spezza, the rest of the team is garbage.. Toronto is an overall far more talented team... And either Gerber or Cujo which ever one plays WILL get the win over Ottawa on Monday, March 9

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/07/2009 19:08:23
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  19:07:48  Show Profile
Congratulations to Dwayne Roloson on an excellent game and getting his first EVER win over Toronto...

That being said I am glad Toskala wasn't in net tonight or it would have been a 6 or 7 to 1 win for Edmonton... Gerber played well he played the puck the way he should of with all 3 goals he allowed.. Unlike Toskala, Gerber actually tried which is nice to see for once in 3 years. Another thing I am happy to see is Gerber puts his arm up to tell inform his teammates of an icing call... Toskala never did that.

goal 1: Ponikarovsky- beautiful goal Roloson didn't have a chance.
goal 2: Hemsky- 2 line pass break away goal, Gerber positioned it as good as he could had a piece of but just not enough
goal 3: Brodziak- again a 2 line pass breakaway goal, Gerber got a piece of it but again not enough, great positioning though. not much he could do
goal 4: Pisani gets rewared with the goal off a shot deflected off of Kubina's stick changing direction bigtime, if only he would have left Gerber would have stopped it
goal 5: Brodziak- empty net goal

I've said this before the NHL needs to get rid of this European style of hockey, this is the NHL based on Canada and USA not the International hockey, they need to get rid of Shootouts, the crease behind the net, 2 line passes and they should bring back the skate in the crease no goal rule.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  09:56:10  Show Profile
Does anyone know if there is a different CBC feed in Toronto compared to the rest of the Country?? I swear I watched Edmonton play Toronto last night and I have to say, it was not the same game Hanley watched. Gerber played well????? Seriously, that is a complete joke. 2 of the 3 goals he let it were complete garbage!! The only one he didn't have a chance on was the one-timer by Pisani when all the Leafs players were skating to the puck in their own end like Pee Wee players and left a shooting forward wide open in the slot. Edmonton has no reason even being in the game and should have lost. Roloson did play a decent game, but it's also easier to stop the puck when all the shots are coming from the outside. That was the only saving grace for Edmonton was they did a decent job of forcing the play to the the boards and not allowing much action in the middle of their own end.

3 goals allowed on 17 shots. Beauty game Gerber, beauty.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  11:29:10
ok hanley like i said ottawa having a bad year, they need to work things out, but there are not many leafs you can name that there isnt a player on ottawa that i wouldnt rather have, toronto is not a talented team, yes they have been fairly hard working but not talented.

and beans i fully agree with you, two goals were soft. and it seems hanley has a different feed for most games he watches

hanley the skate in the crease rule really? how would the leafs score have of there goal are garbage goals that come from crashing the net

im just impressed u didnt have a conspiracy theory that the loss was somehow toskala's fault, i have to praise you for that atleast
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  11:51:10  Show Profile
quote:

ok hanley like i said ottawa having a bad year, they need to work things out, but there are not many leafs you can name that there isnt a player on ottawa that i wouldnt rather have, toronto is not a talented team, yes they have been fairly hard working but not talented.

and beans i fully agree with you, two goals were soft. and it seems hanley has a different feed for most games he watches

hanley the skate in the crease rule really? how would the leafs score have of there goal are garbage goals that come from crashing the net

im just impressed u didnt have a conspiracy theory that the loss was somehow toskala's fault, i have to praise you for that atleast

Hanley may not bring up a conspiracy, so I will. Toskala must have tampered with Gerbers equipment, just to make sure he stays as the number one goalie there. He knows how talented old Martin is, and is scared that once a true goalie comes and plays in TO, the fans will eventually see they have been hoodwinked by Toskala. I'm not exactly sure what he did, perhaps trim a little off his equipment, just to make sure instead of stopping it like Gerber will always do, it bounces off him and in. I'm sure there was a mix of vodka and gatorade in Gerbers water bottle as well. How else would a superstar goalie not stop a measly 17 shots when a bum like Toskala can stop 50.

And Hanley, once again, your completely right. Why did the NHL change something that wasn't working? Dumb. Sure, now the NHL has more fans, more people watching it, but at what cost. This "European" style is garbage. Nevermind that it makes the games more exciting, more goals and faster paced hockey, it is destroying the fabric of the game. Shoot outs were a dumb idea, almost never fun to watch. I hate all the new innovative moves players use, just gross. The two line pass needs to be put back in, i hate breakaways. We need less goals, so putting the crease rule back in would be perfect.

But wait, something doesn't feel right. Wait a tick... Guess which team has the most OTL this season. Perhaps because the Leafs are not skilled enough to score in these shoot outs. Same must go for the two line pass, leafs are not fast enough or skilled enough to get the puck and score on a breakaway. I'm angry you would try and decieve us Hanley. I also am deeply sorry for stating facts. I think i must steal a line from Colbert and say that you may be factose-intolerant.

Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  16:42:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Does anyone know if there is a different CBC feed in Toronto compared to the rest of the Country?? I swear I watched Edmonton play Toronto last night and I have to say, it was not the same game Hanley watched. Gerber played well????? Seriously, that is a complete joke. 2 of the 3 goals he let it were complete garbage!! The only one he didn't have a chance on was the one-timer by Pisani when all the Leafs players were skating to the puck in their own end like Pee Wee players and left a shooting forward wide open in the slot. Edmonton has no reason even being in the game and should have lost. Roloson did play a decent game, but it's also easier to stop the puck when all the shots are coming from the outside. That was the only saving grace for Edmonton was they did a decent job of forcing the play to the the boards and not allowing much action in the middle of their own end.

those breakaway goes Gerber had a piece of and they were 2 line passes which to me and a lot of true hockey fans 2 line pass is bull sh!t hockey. and Edmonton's third goal has deflected off of Kubina's stick, Edmonton's fourth goal was an empty netter if you didn't see that than I want some of whatever you have been taking... So if you think about it Gerber didn't play bad at all. If 2 line passes were offside like they should be and Kubina would have left the puck alone like he should have Toronto would have won that game 1-0. But Hockey is now a European rules game, it needs to change.

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/08/2009 16:48:35
Go to Top of Page

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  17:44:06  Show Profile
Ok, first off, you cant blame the two line pass for those goals, because there's still a goalie to get through, plus a well skilled defense shouldnt allow the majority of those passes to get through, or should be quick enough to get back when an opposing player is "cheating" towards the opposing blue line. I saw the highlights and on at least one of those two breaks, the Oilers forward was in between the leafs defense like they were pylons.

And yes to Hanley, Gerber did get a peice and I dont even expect my team' goalie (Luongo) to stop every breakaway, but why is crappy defense and bad bounces an excuse for Gerber but not Toskala.

Another side note: There was talk that Toskala was good on San Jose because they can make any goalie look good, and yet look at San Jose's recent record without Nabokov... 1-4-1. Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8052
( )

Posted - 03/08/2009 :  17:56:34
Guys what are you talking about gerber is the future of the nhl, prob will make the allstar game for years to come if not the poster boy for the nhl, and as for toskala your right hanley( Mr. Burke) , leafs should jsut trade him for a good shooter tutor i mean it would stop more right, blake could practise his spinerama all practise long.

and as for roloson he beat those untouchable leafs in the 99 playoffs when he was in buffalo but that doesn't count i guess, cuz its just the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  02:09:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8052

Guys what are you talking about gerber is the future of the nhl, prob will make the allstar game for years to come if not the poster boy for the nhl, and as for toskala your right hanley( Mr. Burke) , leafs should jsut trade him for a good shooter tutor i mean it would stop more right, blake could practise his spinerama all practise long.

and as for roloson he beat those untouchable leafs in the 99 playoffs when he was in buffalo but that doesn't count i guess, cuz its just the playoffs

sorry little buddy that was Hasek
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  07:10:45  Show Profile
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest8052

sorry little buddy that was Hasek

sorry little buddy but it was Roloson. Roloson played the first game of that 99 playoff series when Hasek got hurt. At that point, Hasek was the best goalie in the word and Roloson was a little young guy that no one had ever heard of. Roloson played the first game when Hasek got hurt in practice or something and the Sabres won 5-2. In fact, a lot of people think it was cuz of that game that Toronto didn't win the series...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  08:04:10  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

those breakaway goes Gerber had a piece of and they were 2 line passes which to me and a lot of true hockey fans 2 line pass is bull sh!t hockey. and Edmonton's third goal has deflected off of Kubina's stick, Edmonton's fourth goal was an empty netter if you didn't see that than I want some of whatever you have been taking... So if you think about it Gerber didn't play bad at all. If 2 line passes were offside like they should be and Kubina would have left the puck alone like he should have Toronto would have won that game 1-0. But Hockey is now a European rules game, it needs to change.

If you look back on my post, I said nothing about the empty net goal. And, as much as you want to argue the 2 line pass, the simple fact is that neither of the breakaways were difficult. It's not like Hemsky or Brodziak put on a world class move. Gerber did get a piece of both, but most goalies would have stopped at least one of them. And the 3rd goal, you are right in the fact it was deflected off a stick. I also did not pin that or Gerber. That goal was the Leafs playing like Pee Wee's and all skating to the puck which left Piasani wide open. However, the 2 breakaways were easily on Gerber and he should have stopped at least one of them if not both. They were not difficult by NHL standards.

And where did this "2 line pass" arguement come from??? Toskala never got your credit for goals he allowed based on a two line pass. The game is what it is and all players are governed by the same rules, which makes things fair weather you agree with the rules or not.

Simply put, the Leafs did out play the Oilers in almost every area of the ice on Saturday night with the exception of goaltending. This is the reason they lost.

Leafs without Toskala are now 1-1-0. We will see how the remaining 18ish games plays out.
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  12:19:15  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

quote:

If you look back on my post, I said nothing about the empty net goal. And, as much as you want to argue the 2 line pass, the simple fact is that neither of the breakaways were difficult. It's not like Hemsky or Brodziak put on a world class move. Gerber did get a piece of both, but most goalies would have stopped at least one of them. And the 3rd goal, you are right in the fact it was deflected off a stick. I also did not pin that or Gerber. That goal was the Leafs playing like Pee Wee's and all skating to the puck which left Piasani wide open. However, the 2 breakaways were easily on Gerber and he should have stopped at least one of them if not both. They were not difficult by NHL standards.

And where did this "2 line pass" arguement come from??? Toskala never got your credit for goals he allowed based on a two line pass. The game is what it is and all players are governed by the same rules, which makes things fair weather you agree with the rules or not.

Simply put, the Leafs did out play the Oilers in almost every area of the ice on Saturday night with the exception of goaltending. This is the reason they lost.

Leafs without Toskala are now 1-1-0. We will see how the remaining 18ish games plays out.

Toskala rarely ever had breakaways on him... I've always been against the 2 line pass ever since they took it out, you are supposed to play as a team when puck is in your end, you should be there covering your man and helping your teammates out not standing around at the opposing blue line with a thumb up your bottom waiting for the puck to come your way. 2 line pass is not hockey its offside, its garbage... I'm just glad Toskala wasn't in net against Edmonton or it would have been much worse on Toronto...

Toronto is playing against Ottawa tonight, should be an easy win ahead for Toronto... Will Gerber get the start against his former teammates or will Joseph? either way it doesn't really matter who starts my moneys on Toronto by at least 2 or + goals... although I think they'll play Gerber he deserves to enjoy victory against the pesky Sens

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/09/2009 12:22:39
Go to Top of Page

DangleFest89
Rookie

122 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  13:48:47  Show Profile
Did you just call Hemsky a floater? or that fact any of those breakaway goals were because of cherry picking? please tell what you are watching?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL1pYU7evHA

Edited by - DangleFest89 on 03/09/2009 13:54:46
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:05:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DangleFest89

Did you just call Hemsky a floater? or that fact any of those breakaway goals were because of cherry picking? please tell what you are watching?

Two line pass where? both plays where leaf rush's that got broken up.. and secondly as a goalie coach by profession meaning i get paid hansomly to teach goaltending Gerber made a key mistake on both goals and is exactly why he did not stop either, this was not a shootout both times the Oil player had a leaf coming hard behind him, espcially on the first goal he should have been out of his net because all Hemsky could do is shoot with the defender cutting off any chance he had to deke toward his forhand, right there Gerbs knows he is either gonna go to the short side which is easily coverd or most likly shoot,, it is part of fundmental goalie and the most important thing to work on in POSITIONING which you so often talk about is for the goalie to have hes feet planted when faceing a shot you don't want to be moving because you open up obvious whole I.E the five whole or between your arms and body,,, after both breakaways look how Gerbs just slides helplessly to the back of the net,, he failed to plant his feet i e opening up holes and letting in a soft goal,,,, a good goalie plants his feet and challenges a shooter to beat him a confident goalie does this,,, Gerbs doesn't... because a good goalie can read the play and recover if he read wrong....

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  15:06:46  Show Profile
quote:

What i find really very funny is that earlier in this thread Hanley stated that Toskala goes down too early. Notice on both of these goals, Gerber goes down late? The announcers even comment on that he was too late. So, think about it, according to you, Toskala probably would have stopped both of these, then they would have at least got an overtime loss, right? But you said you were glad Toskala wasn't in net. Why is that? You seem to be countering yourself. I can't wait for the Ottawa Leafs game tonight. Hopefully Gerber is played. I need to see what all the fuss is about.

Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  18:23:57  Show Profile
Why does Hanley never learn?
Every time he posts he gets ripped apart. Than when he tries to back himself up he provides no proof. Hanley, calm down, we know Toronto is your favourite team, it doesn't make you an expert on everything that revolves around them.

Crosby is Jesus the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8116
( )

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  10:58:57
quote:
Toronto is playing against Ottawa tonight, should be an easy win ahead for Toronto... Will Gerber get the start against his former teammates or will Joseph? either way it doesn't really matter who starts my moneys on Toronto by at least 2 or + goals... although I think they'll play Gerber he deserves to enjoy victory against the pesky Sens

Wow i think we have a Psychic on our hands, i really hope your not a gambling man hanley
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  13:42:20  Show Profile
Ha i was hoping someone would comment on those bold predictions. Look Messier (Hanley), predicting games is not something anyone should try. At least dont put money on 2 goals or +. Makes you look bad. However this loss cannot be given to Cujo, at least i don't think so. I dont know if the Alfredson shot went off the defenders stick or not, but it went top corner, nice shot. The Heatley tip, maybe a goalie who is not worried about missing Matlock episodes might have been able to stop it, but not his fault. Now, if Toskala would have let in those goals, you would have blamed him. I will put money on it(haha). The Leafs are not a good enough team to make the playoffs, or score enough goals to win. Goaltending is the least of their worries right now(and i dont mean that because Toskala is injured. They would still be a bad team with him. But is not his fault). If only you could see...

Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  19:38:35
well toronto has won a game in overtime to the lowly islanders. it can only be a matter of time until hanley comes to tell us how good gerber is and how they would have lost if toskala played. toskala must have been busy rehabbing his fake injury today, and didnt have time to tamper with gerb's equipment
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  21:05:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

Two line pass where? both plays where leaf rush's that got broken up.. and secondly as a goalie coach by profession meaning i get paid hansomly to teach goaltending Gerber made a key mistake on both goals and is exactly why he did not stop either, this was not a shootout both times the Oil player had a leaf coming hard behind him, espcially on the first goal he should have been out of his net because all Hemsky could do is shoot with the defender cutting off any chance he had to deke toward his forhand, right there Gerbs knows he is either gonna go to the short side which is easily coverd or most likly shoot,, it is part of fundmental goalie and the most important thing to work on in POSITIONING which you so often talk about is for the goalie to have hes feet planted when faceing a shot you don't want to be moving because you open up obvious whole I.E the five whole or between your arms and body,,, after both breakaways look how Gerbs just slides helplessly to the back of the net,, he failed to plant his feet i e opening up holes and letting in a soft goal,,,, a good goalie plants his feet and challenges a shooter to beat him a confident goalie does this,,, Gerbs doesn't... because a good goalie can read the play and recover if he read wrong....

Pasty

I was wrong on the second goal Brodziaks goal. Hemsky's was a two line pass, but Brodziaks wasn't
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  21:15:34  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

What i find really very funny is that earlier in this thread Hanley stated that Toskala goes down too early. Notice on both of these goals, Gerber goes down late? The announcers even comment on that he was too late. So, think about it, according to you, Toskala probably would have stopped both of these, then they would have at least got an overtime loss, right? But you said you were glad Toskala wasn't in net. Why is that? You seem to be countering yourself. I can't wait for the Ottawa Leafs game tonight. Hopefully Gerber is played. I need to see what all the fuss is about.

you are wrong.. Toskala goes down way too early before the shooting even thinks about taking the shot leaving open areas all over the net for the shooter to pick from..
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  21:20:15  Show Profile
quote:

Ha i was hoping someone would comment on those bold predictions. Look Messier (Hanley), predicting games is not something anyone should try. At least dont put money on 2 goals or +. Makes you look bad. However this loss cannot be given to Cujo, at least i don't think so. I dont know if the Alfredson shot went off the defenders stick or not, but it went top corner, nice shot. The Heatley tip, maybe a goalie who is not worried about missing Matlock episodes might have been able to stop it, but not his fault. Now, if Toskala would have let in those goals, you would have blamed him. I will put money on it(haha). The Leafs are not a good enough team to make the playoffs, or score enough goals to win. Goaltending is the least of their worries right now(and i dont mean that because Toskala is injured. They would still be a bad team with him. But is not his fault). If only you could see...

yeah I admit I was wrong about the Ottawa game, but then it's not every day where you see Ottawa actually play a good game. The only one that showed up for the games for the Leafs was Cujo, he played an awesome game if only he could score the Leafs would have won the game haha
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  21:25:57  Show Profile
quote:

well toronto has won a game in overtime to the lowly islanders. it can only be a matter of time until hanley comes to tell us how good gerber is and how they would have lost if toskala played. toskala must have been busy rehabbing his fake injury today, and didnt have time to tamper with gerb's equipment

lmao thats a good one... but uh I'll go with it Gerber did play a great game tonight no doubt. I actually wasn't going to mention anything about Tosk but yeah they probably would have lost..

the whole tampering with equipment thing I have never mentioned anything about that so your sarcasm is a little over the top there haha, nice try though junior

Edited by - hanley6 on 03/10/2009 21:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  06:06:12  Show Profile
I can't believe I get to post this twice!

Why does Hanley never learn?
Every time he posts he gets ripped apart. Than when he tries to back himself up he provides no proof. Hanley, calm down, we know Toronto is your favourite team, it doesn't make you an expert on everything that revolves around them.

Crosby is not the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

CHAOS61
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  06:40:20  Show Profile
Toskala may have picked it up a notch in the past 10 to 15 games but ... he still sits with a .891 SAV% 40th in the league and his team allowed under 30 shots per game.

Mind you, the first 40 games into the season, the Leafs allowed just over 27 shots per game and Toskala was sitting with a poor .879 SAV%

Leafs are 9th in the league with 31.6 SOG per game, not bad for a team in a rebuilding stage and not too shabby of a PP.

The team is playing at good as it gets. Toskala isn't playing up to expectations at all, not by a mile !
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  12:44:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by CHAOS61

Toskala may have picked it up a notch in the past 10 to 15 games but ... he still sits with a .891 SAV% 40th in the league and his team allowed under 30 shots per game.

Mind you, the first 40 games into the season, the Leafs allowed just over 27 shots per game and Toskala was sitting with a poor .879 SAV%

Leafs are 9th in the league with 31.6 SOG per game, not bad for a team in a rebuilding stage and not too shabby of a PP.

The team is playing at good as it gets. Toskala isn't playing up to expectations at all, not by a mile !

It appears we have another Hanley. Good, one was not enough. The part where you say Toskala isn't playing up to standards is foolish. I'm not sure if you have heard, Toskala isn't even playing. The argument about his save %, watch a game. See how many times a opposing player is left wide out in front of the net. See many rebounds the leafs give up(Yes, even the best goalies give out rebounds). Or breakaways. The Leafs defense is TERRIBLE. Yes they have injurys, but my god. Take them to a power skating camp, or something. They look they are standing still.

Just to clarify, i have never said Toskala is one of the best goalies in the league. He is however a legit number one goalie in the NHL. More so than Cujo (now anyway), or Gerber. Gerber is what 34 years old. He had maybe one good season with the Canes, and he didn't even play in the playoffs(he was sick for some of it, but Ward stole the job). But when you look at stats, and say Toskala is terrible, well. Cujo has worse stats. Toskala has a winning record. So, if Toskala is so bad, how do they win with him? If Cujo is so good, why don't they win with him?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page